copying a file creates the wrong file !

Vincent

copying a file creates the wrong file !
Hello,

I have noticed a very weired behaviour from my Windows Vista Ultimate
version 6.0.6000 file system. A few days ago, I have installed the
OpenVPN client, which installs in C:\Program files\OpenVPN.

After the installation is done, there is an empty "C:\Program
files\OpenVPN\Config" directory, into which one should put some
configation files (These files are read by the OpenVPN program when
started).

When one installs OpenVPN, there are also some sample configuration
files in "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\sample-config\". These are text
files, which one usually copies to the \Config directory and modify
according to one's needs. This is what I have done, and OpenVPN is
working as intended. Typically the configuration file is called client.ovpn.

Now in order to make a backup of my modified client.ovpn file, I tried
to copy it from "C:\Program files\OpenVPN\Config\client.ovpn" to some
other location. But when I copy this file, the file that is created has
the content of THE ORIGINAL client.ovpn, the one which is in "C:\Program
Files\OpenVPN\sample-config" !

I have tried to copy it from a command line, but the result is the same.
I have tried to edit the file, save it, and copy it again : no change !

However, when I open this file with my text editor and chose "save as"
from within the text editor, then the correct file is created.

I also tried to modify the original "C:\Program
Files\OpenVPN\sample-config\client.ovpn" file, and I notice that when I
copy this file elsewhere, I always get the original file, without the
changes !

Can someone tell me what is wrong ?
Best regards,
Vincent

dean-dean

Re: copying a file creates the wrong file !
Go to C:\Program Files, and click on Compatibility Files in the Toolbar of
Windows Explorer. This will take you to C:\Users\(Your
Name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files. This is where Vista puts
the files of programs that write certain types of user files to the
C:\Program Files subdirectories. When you're in C:\Program Files\Your
Program (or possibly a subfolder of that path), you should also see a button
in the taskbar of Windows Explorer called "Compatibility Files", which will
you take you directly to your program's config files.

In your program's Options dialog, can you change the default location (path)
of the Config directory to a path that is under your account name?

For example, C:\Users\(Your Name)\Documents\OpenVPN Config (you may have
to create the folder there first). Then Vista won't redirect your files.
Vista doesn't cotton to user files being written to the C:\Program Files
subdirectories, after the initial installation, and has put the Program
Files folder on a security level as that of the Windows folders themselves,
making TrustedInstaller the owner.

"Vincent" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed a very weired behaviour from my Windows Vista Ultimate
> version 6.0.6000 file system. A few days ago, I have installed the OpenVPN
> client, which installs in C:\Program files\OpenVPN.
>
> After the installation is done, there is an empty "C:\Program
> files\OpenVPN\Config" directory, into which one should put some
> configation files (These files are read by the OpenVPN program when
> started).
>
> When one installs OpenVPN, there are also some sample configuration files
> in "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\sample-config\". These are text files, which
> one usually copies to the \Config directory and modify according to one's
> needs. This is what I have done, and OpenVPN is working as intended.
> Typically the configuration file is called client.ovpn.
>
> Now in order to make a backup of my modified client.ovpn file, I tried to
> copy it from "C:\Program files\OpenVPN\Config\client.ovpn" to some other
> location. But when I copy this file, the file that is created has the
> content of THE ORIGINAL client.ovpn, the one which is in "C:\Program
> Files\OpenVPN\sample-config" !
>
> I have tried to copy it from a command line, but the result is the same. I
> have tried to edit the file, save it, and copy it again : no change !
>
> However, when I open this file with my text editor and chose "save as"
> from within the text editor, then the correct file is created.
>
> I also tried to modify the original "C:\Program
> Files\OpenVPN\sample-config\client.ovpn" file, and I notice that when I
> copy this file elsewhere, I always get the original file, without the
> changes !
>
> Can someone tell me what is wrong ?
> Best regards,
> Vincent

Vincent

Re: copying a file creates the wrong file !
Hello dean-dean,

I had never noticed the compatibility button! So Vista saves my changes
to the compatibility folder, that's clear now. When a program opens the
C:\Program Files\... file, it actually opens the
....\VirtualStore\Program Files\... file. Except from time to time, when
the file is opened for copying... oh well :-/

Thanks a lot,
Sincerely,
Vincent