returning to a search

barglen

returning to a search
When search finds folders (eg Temp) and you double click the folder in the
search results, the folder is opened and the contents displayed. This is as
it should be. However, if you then want to return to the search results (eg
to perhaps identify another folder found in the search and open it up) rather
than just go straight back to the list of results the search is re-processed.
This can be most frustrating if you want to view a number of folders. If the
search is extensive (eg everywhere including hidden etc) it can take a long
time. A quick look at the contents of a found folder can take ages when the
search is repeated when you return from looking at the folder (eg click the
back button).
Is there any way to quickly go back to the search results without the search
itself bing repeated. Wastes an awful lot of time.
--
regards
....barglen
Dan Porter

Re: returning to a search
Barglen,

Try right clicking on the file and select 'Open File Location". It should
open a new window and also leave the search results window open.

Dan

"barglen" <barglen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When search finds folders (eg Temp) and you double click the folder in the
> search results, the folder is opened and the contents displayed. This is
> as
> it should be. However, if you then want to return to the search results
> (eg
> to perhaps identify another folder found in the search and open it up)
> rather
> than just go straight back to the list of results the search is
> re-processed.
> This can be most frustrating if you want to view a number of folders. If
> the
> search is extensive (eg everywhere including hidden etc) it can take a
> long
> time. A quick look at the contents of a found folder can take ages when
> the
> search is repeated when you return from looking at the folder (eg click
> the
> back button).
> Is there any way to quickly go back to the search results without the
> search
> itself bing repeated. Wastes an awful lot of time.
> --
> regards
> ...barglen

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: returning to a search
Barglen

Before you click to view a file in the results, click the Save Search button
on the Command Bar. You can give the search a distinctive name or just
accept the default name. Click Save and the file will be saved to the
C:\Users\your username\Searches folder and will not close. If this is a
search that you perform often, just leave the file in that folder. In the
future, to perform the same search, you simply need to click that folder.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"barglen" <barglen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When search finds folders (eg Temp) and you double click the folder in the
> search results, the folder is opened and the contents displayed. This is
> as
> it should be. However, if you then want to return to the search results
> (eg
> to perhaps identify another folder found in the search and open it up)
> rather
> than just go straight back to the list of results the search is
> re-processed.
> This can be most frustrating if you want to view a number of folders. If
> the
> search is extensive (eg everywhere including hidden etc) it can take a
> long
> time. A quick look at the contents of a found folder can take ages when
> the
> search is repeated when you return from looking at the folder (eg click
> the
> back button).
> Is there any way to quickly go back to the search results without the
> search
> itself bing repeated. Wastes an awful lot of time.
> --
> regards
> ...barglen

barglen

Re: returning to a search
Dan,
thanks. That's exactly what I was after.
Had seen that option before but not tried it.
--
regards
....barglen