Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed

masch6430

Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed
I recently installed a program that I immediately decided I didn't want to
keep. So I deleted it. Now I can't get rid of its associated icon that is on
my desktop.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:22:01 -0700, masch6430
<masch6430@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I recently installed a program that I immediately decided I didn't want to
> keep. So I deleted it. Now I can't get rid of its associated icon that is on
> my desktop.

Please help us to help you. What does "I can't get rid of" mean?
Exactly how are you trying to get rid of it? What happens when you
try? If you get an error message, please quote it verbatim.

For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
masch6430

Re: Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed
I was trying to delete ("get rid of") the icon on the desktop corresponding
to a program I deleted. I got a message saying that the target file was not
in that location. I know the file wasn't there because I deleted it. The
icon stayed on the desktop.
Thanks

Marge

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:22:01 -0700, masch6430
> <masch6430@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently installed a program that I immediately decided I didn't want to
> > keep. So I deleted it. Now I can't get rid of its associated icon that is on
> > my desktop.

> Please help us to help you. What does "I can't get rid of" mean?
> Exactly how are you trying to get rid of it? What happens when you
> try? If you get an error message, please quote it verbatim.
>
> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and

> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

brink

masch6430;447079 Wrote:
> I was trying to delete ("get rid of") the icon on the desktop
> corresponding
> to a program I deleted. I got a message saying that the target file was
> not
> in that location. I know the file wasn't there because I deleted it.
> The
> icon stayed on the desktop.
> Thanks
>
> Marge

Hi Marge,

When you deleted the program, did you manually delete it or used the
uninstall program for it?

You might try pressing F5 to refresh the desktop. There have been
cases that the icon was actually gone, but Vista just did not refresh
the desktop yet to make it go.

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
masch6430

Re: Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed
I used the "delete" functin for the desktop icon. I used the uninstall
function for the program.

"brink" wrote:

> masch6430;447079 Wrote:
> > I was trying to delete ("get rid of") the icon on the desktop
> > corresponding
> > to a program I deleted. I got a message saying that the target file was
> > not
> > in that location. I know the file wasn't there because I deleted it.
> > The
> > icon stayed on the desktop.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Marge
> >

> Hi Marge,
>
> When you deleted the program, did you manually delete it or used the
> uninstall program for it?
>
> You might try pressing F5 to refresh the desktop. There have been
> cases that the icon was actually gone, but Vista just did not refresh
> the desktop yet to make it go.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Re: Deleting a desktop icon with sorce file removed
Try looking in the C:\Users\<User Name>\Desktop folder. See if you can
delete it from there/ It also might be in the C:\Users\All Users\Desktop
or the C:\Users\Default User\Desktop. Depends on the install program.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

masch6430 wrote:
> I was trying to delete ("get rid of") the icon on the desktop corresponding
> to a program I deleted. I got a message saying that the target file was not
> in that location. I know the file wasn't there because I deleted it. The
> icon stayed on the desktop.
> Thanks
>
> Marge
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:22:01 -0700, masch6430
>> <masch6430@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently installed a program that I immediately decided I didn't want to
>>> keep. So I deleted it. Now I can't get rid of its associated icon that is on
>>> my desktop.

>> Please help us to help you. What does "I can't get rid of" mean?
>> Exactly how are you trying to get rid of it? What happens when you
>> try? If you get an error message, please quote it verbatim.
>>
>> For information on how to make a good newsgroup posting, read
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm and

>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Try looking in the . See if you can delete it from there/ It also might

Hank Arnold (MVP);447276 Wrote:
> Try looking in the C:\Users\<User Name>\Desktop folder. See if you can
> delete it from there/ It also might be in the C:\Users\All
> Users\Desktop
> or the C:\Users\Default User\Desktop. Depends on the install program.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services

Marge,

If you are unable to do Hank's suggestion, then you might try
reinstalling the program and see if there is a option to turn off the
desktop icon in the program. If not, delete the desktop icon manually,
then uninstall the program.

Shawn