Can't find downloaded file

Annie

Can't find downloaded file
I cannot 'find' a file after downloading from the internet. ????? I
downloaded PSP X and at first it wouldn't let me download to my C:
drive...what's up with that? (that's a totally different question that I'd
love an answer to) So I downloaded PSP to the folder that was named my name,
Anne. I cannot find this file, but can find the folder, altho when I went to
download again (thinking it never made it to my computer), it shows it's
there and asks me if I want to rewrite it. Aaaar

Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks,

Anne

P.S. This is only my 2nd day on my new computer with Vista.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't find downloaded file
Annie

There are some folder locations in Vista that are heavily restricted for
certain operations. You should not try to download files to areas such as,
C: (root), C:\Program Files, or C:\Windows.

If you download to these locations, you should see a popup message warning
that you cannot download to this folder. If you do not see this message, the
files are usually handled by the Virtualization component. Open Windows
Explorer and go to the folder where you downloaded the files. In the Command
Bar, you should see a "Compatibility Files" button. Click this button and
you will be taken to the folder where the downloaded files are located.
(Usually C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Virtual Store).

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot 'find' a file after downloading from the internet. ????? I
> downloaded PSP X and at first it wouldn't let me download to my C:
> drive...what's up with that? (that's a totally different question that I'd
> love an answer to) So I downloaded PSP to the folder that was named my
> name,
> Anne. I cannot find this file, but can find the folder, altho when I went
> download again (thinking it never made it to my computer), it shows it's
> there and asks me if I want to rewrite it. Aaaar
>
> Has anyone figured this out?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Anne
>

> P.S. This is only my 2nd day on my new computer with Vista.

Annie

Re: Can't find downloaded file
Thanks, this makes sense, but I still can't find it. I know I changed the
destination thinking it 'should' be on the C: drive but to no avail...it's
hiding. I'm going to try and reinstall.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Annie
>
> There are some folder locations in Vista that are heavily restricted for
> certain operations. You should not try to download files to areas such as,
> C: (root), C:\Program Files, or C:\Windows.
>
> If you download to these locations, you should see a popup message warning
> that you cannot download to this folder. If you do not see this message, the
> files are usually handled by the Virtualization component. Open Windows
> Explorer and go to the folder where you downloaded the files. In the Command
> Bar, you should see a "Compatibility Files" button. Click this button and
> you will be taken to the folder where the downloaded files are located.
> (Usually C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Virtual Store).
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot 'find' a file after downloading from the internet. ????? I
> > downloaded PSP X and at first it wouldn't let me download to my C:
> > drive...what's up with that? (that's a totally different question that I'd
> > love an answer to) So I downloaded PSP to the folder that was named my
> > name,
> > Anne. I cannot find this file, but can find the folder, altho when I went
> > download again (thinking it never made it to my computer), it shows it's
> > there and asks me if I want to rewrite it. Aaaar
> >
> > Has anyone figured this out?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Anne
> >

> > P.S. This is only my 2nd day on my new computer with Vista.

Re: Can't find downloaded file
OK Ronnie, here's what happened when I tried to re-download....a box came up
and did indeed show the destination of my previously downloaded file. It
'is' in the folder you said it would be but under compatibility, there is
'no' Windows Vista. Only XP, 98, etc. Therefore, I'm assuming that's why it
won't open. It's Paint Shop Pro X. I'll try on their website for further
directions but I'm hoping I just have to download a patch and it will be
fixed.

Thanks again!

"Annie" wrote:

> Thanks, this makes sense, but I still can't find it. I know I changed the
> destination thinking it 'should' be on the C: drive but to no avail...it's
> hiding. I'm going to try and reinstall.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Annie
> >
> > There are some folder locations in Vista that are heavily restricted for
> > certain operations. You should not try to download files to areas such as,
> > C: (root), C:\Program Files, or C:\Windows.
> >
> > If you download to these locations, you should see a popup message warning
> > that you cannot download to this folder. If you do not see this message, the
> > files are usually handled by the Virtualization component. Open Windows
> > Explorer and go to the folder where you downloaded the files. In the Command
> > Bar, you should see a "Compatibility Files" button. Click this button and
> > you will be taken to the folder where the downloaded files are located.
> > (Usually C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Virtual Store).
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I cannot 'find' a file after downloading from the internet. ????? I
> > > downloaded PSP X and at first it wouldn't let me download to my C:
> > > drive...what's up with that? (that's a totally different question that I'd
> > > love an answer to) So I downloaded PSP to the folder that was named my
> > > name,
> > > Anne. I cannot find this file, but can find the folder, altho when I went
> > > download again (thinking it never made it to my computer), it shows it's
> > > there and asks me if I want to rewrite it. Aaaar
> > >
> > > Has anyone figured this out?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Anne
> > >

> > > P.S. This is only my 2nd day on my new computer with Vista.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can't find downloaded file
Annie

OK, please let us know what you find.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"A" <A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK Ronnie, here's what happened when I tried to re-download....a box came
> up
> and did indeed show the destination of my previously downloaded file. It
> 'is' in the folder you said it would be but under compatibility, there is
> 'no' Windows Vista. Only XP, 98, etc. Therefore, I'm assuming that's why
> it
> won't open. It's Paint Shop Pro X. I'll try on their website for further
> directions but I'm hoping I just have to download a patch and it will be
> fixed.
>
> Thanks again!
>

> "Annie" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this makes sense, but I still can't find it. I know I changed
>> the
>> destination thinking it 'should' be on the C: drive but to no
>> avail...it's
>> hiding. I'm going to try and reinstall.
>>
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Annie
>> >
>> > There are some folder locations in Vista that are heavily restricted
>> > for
>> > certain operations. You should not try to download files to areas such
>> > as,
>> > C: (root), C:\Program Files, or C:\Windows.
>> >
>> > If you download to these locations, you should see a popup message
>> > warning
>> > that you cannot download to this folder. If you do not see this
>> > message, the
>> > files are usually handled by the Virtualization component. Open Windows
>> > Explorer and go to the folder where you downloaded the files. In the
>> > Command
>> > Bar, you should see a "Compatibility Files" button. Click this button
>> > and
>> > you will be taken to the folder where the downloaded files are located.
>> > (Usually C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Virtual Store).
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Ronnie Vernon
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User

Annie

Re: Can't find downloaded file
I'm so frustrated!!! I've downloaded PSP twice, because I couldn't find the
first one this evening (altho I did last night) and can't find either file
now. As soon as the download is done, I click 'run' and nothing happens. I
can't install cuz I can't find.

I just don't know what else to do. Why is Vista so darn hard to figure out.
I loved XP!