Cannot change attribute of a folder

Jerry

Cannot change attribute of a folder
A user folder (C:\Users\<username>) is marked as hidden and the hidden
setting is grayed out. I tried to change it while logged as that same user
and also as administrator, but it stays grayed out. Also tried using ATTRIB,
but result the same. The owner of the folder is listed as SYSTEM, same as in
case of all other folders, but only this one is presenting this strange
behavior.

How can I re-gain access to the hidden attribute setting?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder
Jerry

What is the name of the folder?

If this is one of the folders that starts with the "MY" name (ie: My
Documents, My Pictures, etc.) then this is normal behavior. This is not an
actual folder, but a Junction. It is only there for backward compatibility
with legacy programs that are looking for that name.

The "MY" designation for folders has been dropped in Vista and folder names
are different. Take a look at the following website for a complete
explanation. This website has a list of all the changed folder names and
their new name/location in Vista.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A user folder (C:\Users\<username>) is marked as hidden and the hidden
>setting is grayed out. I tried to change it while logged as that same user
>and also as administrator, but it stays grayed out. Also tried using
>ATTRIB, but result the same. The owner of the folder is listed as SYSTEM,
>same as in case of all other folders, but only this one is presenting this
>strange behavior.
>
> How can I re-gain access to the hidden attribute setting?

Jerry

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder
No, this is a user "home" folder. Not a junction. I have several users on
this PC and all have their folders in C:\Users, created by the system at the
time when users have been defined, like this:

C:\Users\<username1>, C:\Users\<username2>, C:\Users\<username3>, etc.

Except for this particular folder (say, C:\Users\<username2>), for all
others I can change the hidden attribute. Only this one has the attribute
check box grayed out, therefore inaccessible. To its legitimate owner, to
the administrator, to all. Running ATTRIB under DOS prompt doesn't work
either.

> Jerry
>
> What is the name of the folder?
>
> If this is one of the folders that starts with the "MY" name (ie: My
> Documents, My Pictures, etc.) then this is normal behavior. This is not an
> actual folder, but a Junction. It is only there for backward compatibility
> with legacy programs that are looking for that name.
>
> The "MY" designation for folders has been dropped in Vista and folder
> names are different. Take a look at the following website for a complete
> explanation. This website has a list of all the changed folder names and
> their new name/location in Vista.
>
> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>A user folder (C:\Users\<username>) is marked as hidden and the hidden
>>setting is grayed out. I tried to change it while logged as that same user
>>and also as administrator, but it stays grayed out. Also tried using
>>ATTRIB, but result the same. The owner of the folder is listed as SYSTEM,
>>same as in case of all other folders, but only this one is presenting this
>>strange behavior.
>>
>> How can I re-gain access to the hidden attribute setting?

dean-dean

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder
I'm not sure how your user folders are becoming hidden, but try this:

Open Command Prompt, by right-clicking on it and choosing Run as
Administrator. At the prompt, type:

attrib -s -h -r "C:\Users\exampleusername"

Press Enter. This will restore the default attributes of a user folder, and
"ungray" the hidden attribute in Properties...

> No, this is a user "home" folder. Not a junction. I have several users on
> this PC and all have their folders in C:\Users, created by the system at
> the time when users have been defined, like this:
>
> C:\Users\<username1>, C:\Users\<username2>, C:\Users\<username3>, etc.
>
> Except for this particular folder (say, C:\Users\<username2>), for all
> others I can change the hidden attribute. Only this one has the attribute
> check box grayed out, therefore inaccessible. To its legitimate owner, to
> the administrator, to all. Running ATTRIB under DOS prompt doesn't work
> either.
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Jerry
>>
>> What is the name of the folder?
>>
>> If this is one of the folders that starts with the "MY" name (ie: My
>> Documents, My Pictures, etc.) then this is normal behavior. This is not
>> an actual folder, but a Junction. It is only there for backward
>> compatibility with legacy programs that are looking for that name.
>>
>> The "MY" designation for folders has been dropped in Vista and folder
>> names are different. Take a look at the following website for a complete
>> explanation. This website has a list of all the changed folder names and
>> their new name/location in Vista.
>>
>> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
>> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>A user folder (C:\Users\<username>) is marked as hidden and the hidden
>>>setting is grayed out. I tried to change it while logged as that same
>>>user and also as administrator, but it stays grayed out. Also tried using
>>>ATTRIB, but result the same. The owner of the folder is listed as SYSTEM,
>>>same as in case of all other folders, but only this one is presenting
>>>this strange behavior.
>>>
>>> How can I re-gain access to the hidden attribute setting?

Jerry

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder
That worked!
Thank you very much!
When I was trying with ATTRIB, I only used the -h switch, and that didn't
work.
Thanks a lot again.

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure how your user folders are becoming hidden, but try this:
>
> Open Command Prompt, by right-clicking on it and choosing Run as
> Administrator. At the prompt, type:
>
> attrib -s -h -r "C:\Users\exampleusername"
>
> Press Enter. This will restore the default attributes of a user folder,
> and "ungray" the hidden attribute in Properties...
>

> "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> No, this is a user "home" folder. Not a junction. I have several users on
>> this PC and all have their folders in C:\Users, created by the system at
>> the time when users have been defined, like this:
>>
>> C:\Users\<username1>, C:\Users\<username2>, C:\Users\<username3>, etc.
>>
>> Except for this particular folder (say, C:\Users\<username2>), for all
>> others I can change the hidden attribute. Only this one has the attribute
>> check box grayed out, therefore inaccessible. To its legitimate owner, to
>> the administrator, to all. Running ATTRIB under DOS prompt doesn't work
>> either.
>>

>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>>> Jerry
>>>
>>> What is the name of the folder?
>>>
>>> If this is one of the folders that starts with the "MY" name (ie: My
>>> Documents, My Pictures, etc.) then this is normal behavior. This is not
>>> an actual folder, but a Junction. It is only there for backward
>>> compatibility with legacy programs that are looking for that name.
>>>
>>> The "MY" designation for folders has been dropped in Vista and folder
>>> names are different. Take a look at the following website for a complete
>>> explanation. This website has a list of all the changed folder names and
>>> their new name/location in Vista.
>>>
>>> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
>>> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

seanweiner

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder

Any recommendations if this doesn't work? I have a problem with ONLY my
"my pictures" folder, not my entire user folder. I have tried this on
the my pictur e folder, but it doesn't work.

The hidden button is still checked, and it is still grayed out.

--
seanweiner
davidjones533

Re: Cannot change attribute of a folder

Hello. I am having a very similar problem. I've installed Vista on a new
laptop, and then tried to move the Pictures folder from its default
position in C:\Users\David to E:\Pictures using the Location tab in
Properties. However, the first time I tried this I accidentally moved it
to the root folder of E:\. I used regedit to reset the location to the
default, and then moved it to E:\Pictures. However, the Pictures folder
is now hidden and the check box is greyed out. I have tried using the
techniques above, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Dave