Windows Search service won't start

Kenny

Re: Windows Search service won't start
Has anyone found a solution to this problem I can't get it working tried
everything and nothing can't seem to get this activated again.

"Brad" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news690854B-5C31-4D80-8FA3-D7862498CEA2@microsoft.com...
> > > Brink, thanks so much for the link. It was written in a way that was easy
> > > read and follow - very concise. Excellent "how-to"! However, after
> > > following each and every step, then rebooting, my Windows Search service
> > > still will not start (automatically or manually).
> > >
> > > note: In the "how to", it suggested that the folder
> > > "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Config" folder would be missing.
> > > Mine
> > > was present and contained the two files: gathrprm.txt and schema.txt.
> > > Just
> > > as a precaution, I went ahead and deleted my existing Config folder,
> > > re-created it and replaced the two .txt files.
> > >
> > > Have any other suggestions in your Great Bag'O-Tricks?

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Windows Search service won't start
Did you try setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
Search\SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 in the registry and then rebooting?

"Kenny" <Kenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone found a solution to this problem I can't get it working tried
> everything and nothing can't seem to get this activated again.
>
> "Brad" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave, good idea on checking the logs and rights, here's what I found.
>>
>> Events (logged in this order)
>>
>> Application log:
>> EventID 1008 The Windows Search Service is attempting to remove the
>> old
>> catalog.
>> EventID 1010 The Windows Search Service has successfully removed the
>> old
>> catalog.
>> EventID 1004 The Windows Search service is creating the SystemIndex
>> search index.
>> EventID 1006 The Windows Search Service has failed to created the new
>> system catalog. Internal error <1,0x800700b7>.
>> EventID 1013 Windows Search Service stopped normally.
>>
>> System log:
>> EventID 7036 The Windows Search service entered the stopped state.
>> EventID 7024 The Windows Search service terminated with
>> service-specific
>> error 2147749155 (0x80040D23).
>> EventID 7034 The Windows Search service terminated unexpectedly. It
>> has
>> done this 13 time(s).
>>
>> This pattern of errors constantly repeats.
>>
>> The "System" account has "full control" rights on the
>> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search folder, as well as all the folder/files
>> downstream from there.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> =======================
>>
>> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Brad,
>> >
>> > Sorry that Windows Search is not working for you. I have a couple of
>> > suggestions, although I'm not sure what the issue is:
>> >
>> > - What does the event viewer say? {Event Viewer -> Windows Logs ->
>> > Application is where most search-related events are shown}
>> >
>> > - Some people have reported that modifying the security permissions on
>> > the
>> > whole of their drive can cause Search not to work. For example you
>> > might
>> > 'take ownership' of of random folders to avoid unneeded prompts and
>> > access-denied messages. But if you end up changing the permissions on
>> > C:\programdata\microsoft\search so SYSTEM no longer has full access to
>> > this
>> > folder than this may prevent search from working. I haven't verified
>> > this
>> > but it may be worth checking.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >

>> > "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news690854B-5C31-4D80-8FA3-D7862498CEA2@microsoft.com...

RJS75

Re: Windows Search service won't start

Brad or Shawn,

I am seeing the exact symptoms Brad had. Any suggestions?

Brad - Did you try repairing Vista?

Thanks,
RJS

--
RJS75
claimjumper

Re: Windows Search service won't start
take a look at the DataDirectory value in HKLM\software\microsoft\windows
search. mine was pointing to something other than
c:\programdata\microsoft\search\data so i changed it and now wsearch runs.

if this works for you, go into Indexing Options->Advanced and change the
"Index location->New location, after service is restarted" to the same path.

YMMV. good luck

"RJS75" wrote:

> Brad or Shawn,
>
> I am seeing the exact symptoms Brad had. Any suggestions?
>
> Brad - Did you try repairing Vista?
>
> Thanks,
> RJS
>

> --
> RJS75

Rayond

Re: Windows Search service won't start
Well I can;t believe it was this simple, all you have to do is in REGEDIT go
to KLM\software\microsoft\windows search and change the Data directory, all I
did was change it from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\ to
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data2\. And now my indexing has started, you
might then be able to revert back to original directory, but don;t trouble
yourself.