Delete Nameless Folder

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=

Delete Nameless Folder
Hello all,

I found a trick to remove the text from a desktop icon by holding Alt and
typing "255" in the name field to add a space as the title.

I tried this on a random folder created on my desktop. It worked, but now I
want to delete the folder. When I try to delete it, nothing happens. No
error or message, it just stays. When I try to rename it, the changed name
does not save.

How can I fix this?

Thanks for the replies.
Dweebs

Re: Delete Nameless Folder
Did you try renaming the folder before deleting it?
Regards,
Dweebs

Will wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I found a trick to remove the text from a desktop icon by holding Alt and
> typing "255" in the name field to add a space as the title.
>
> I tried this on a random folder created on my desktop. It worked, but now I
> want to delete the folder. When I try to delete it, nothing happens. No
> error or message, it just stays. When I try to rename it, the changed name
> does not save.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks for the replies.

Dweebs

Re: Delete Nameless Folder
Sorry, I wrote too quickly. I tried the same thing you did and got the
same results with trying to delete or rename the folder. In the end I
moved everything out of the parent folder that the unnamed folder was
in, and deleted the parent folder containing only the unnamed folder.
That worked ok. I then re-created my parent folder and moved the other
stuff back into it.

YMMV, depending on what parent folder your unnamed folder sits in.

Regards,
Dweebs

Dweebs wrote:
> Did you try renaming the folder before deleting it?
> Regards,
> Dweebs
>
> Will wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I found a trick to remove the text from a desktop icon by holding Alt
>> and typing "255" in the name field to add a space as the title.
>> I tried this on a random folder created on my desktop. It worked, but
>> now I want to delete the folder. When I try to delete it, nothing
>> happens. No error or message, it just stays. When I try to rename
>> it, the changed name does not save.
>> How can I fix this?
>>
>> Thanks for the replies.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=

Re: Delete Nameless Folder
Thanks for the help... the parent folder is my desktop. I don't know enough
to know if I can delete the hidden files on my desktop and then delete the
desktop folder. How would I go about that?

"Dweebs" wrote:

> Sorry, I wrote too quickly. I tried the same thing you did and got the
> same results with trying to delete or rename the folder. In the end I
> moved everything out of the parent folder that the unnamed folder was
> in, and deleted the parent folder containing only the unnamed folder.
> That worked ok. I then re-created my parent folder and moved the other
> stuff back into it.
>
> YMMV, depending on what parent folder your unnamed folder sits in.
>
> Regards,
> Dweebs
>
> Dweebs wrote:
> > Did you try renaming the folder before deleting it?
> > Regards,
> > Dweebs
> >
> > Will wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I found a trick to remove the text from a desktop icon by holding Alt
> >> and typing "255" in the name field to add a space as the title.
> >> I tried this on a random folder created on my desktop. It worked, but
> >> now I want to delete the folder. When I try to delete it, nothing
> >> happens. No error or message, it just stays. When I try to rename
> >> it, the changed name does not save.
> >> How can I fix this?
> >>
> >> Thanks for the replies.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Delete Nameless Folder
I haven't been using VISTA long enough (who has?) to know if it has the
Desktop cleanup utility that is in XP. I grew to like it once I found
that it did list and let you choose what to keep and what to delete,
and that it did not delete them but moved them into a folder where you
could recover them, or delete them.

If VISTA has this it might be worth trying to see if it breaks your
hoodoo!