Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change

Jeff Balla

Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change
I'm using Windows Vista Basic, I believe. For a couple weeks now, when I put
an item or two into the Recycle Bin, the icon isn't changing from empty to
full, or at least having some of those crumpled-up paper balls in it.
Sometimes it shows the full-of-paper icon, even when it has no files in it.

Anyone know how to fix this? It's empty, but I know I put files in it
recently. And if it shows the full icon, I'm always right-clicking it to
empty it, only to find out it's empty. It's distracting.
brink

Re: Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change

Jeff Balla;428071 Wrote:
> I'm using Windows Vista Basic, I believe. For a couple weeks now, when I
> put
> an item or two into the Recycle Bin, the icon isn't changing from empty
> full, or at least having some of those crumpled-up paper balls in it.
> Sometimes it shows the full-of-paper icon, even when it has no files in
> it.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? It's empty, but I know I put files in it
> recently. And if it shows the full icon, I'm always right-clicking it
> empty it, only to find out it's empty. It's distracting.

Hi Jeff,

The problem is with the refreshing of Recylce Bin. This will show you
how to get it working right again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...cycle-bin.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Jeff Balla

Re: Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change
I did the Change Desktop Icon thing, but that didn't work. Was I supposed to
restart my computer after doing that?
dean-dean

Re: Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change
You could try this. In Change Desktop Icons, click on Restore Default for
both Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty). (Apply, OK). Then delete
the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Local\,
and restart your computer.

dean-dean;429155 Wrote:
> You could try this. In Change Desktop Icons, click on Restore Default
> for
> both Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty). (Apply, OK). Then
> delete
> the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your
> Name)\AppData\Local\,
> and restart your computer.
>

> "Jeff Balla" <JeffBalla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did the Change Desktop Icon thing, but that didn't work. Was I

> supposed
> > restart my computer after doing that?

Jeff,

No restart was not needed on that, but Dean-Dean's solution looks good.
You should try it and see.

Shawn

"dean-dean" wrote:

You could try this. In Change Desktop Icons, click on Restore Default for
both Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty). (Apply, OK). Then delete
the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Local\,
and restart your computer.

Oddly enough, I couldn't find the "hidden" file. I went there, but I just
found a Configuration file and a FontCache file. And then I ran a search on
the C:\ Drive for "IconCache.db", but it didn't find anything. Thanks for
trying.

Jeff Balla;429677 Wrote:
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
> You could try this. In Change Desktop Icons, click on Restore Default
> for
> both Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty). (Apply, OK). Then
> delete
> the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your
> Name)\AppData\Local\,
> and restart your computer.
>
> Oddly enough, I couldn't find the "hidden" file. I went there, but I
> just
> found a Configuration file and a FontCache file. And then I ran a
> search on
> the C:\ Drive for "IconCache.db", but it didn't find anything. Thanks
> for
> trying.

Jeff,

Did you have both:

"Show hidden files and folders" dotted (Checked)
and
"Hide protected operating system files...." unchecked

in Folder Options? "IconCache.db" is a hidden protected system file.

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
dean-dean

Re: Recycle Bin Icon Won't Change
Yes, you should have a IconCache.db Data Base File in the C:\Users\(Your
Name)\AppData\Local folder, among the ones you've noted. If it's deleted,
Windows will recreate it after reboot. If Windows is not creating that
file, this could be problematic, and a reason for your Recycle Bin icon
issue.

Try going to Control Panel > Personalization and then click on Display
Settings. Change the Colors to a lower setting, e.g., from Highest
(32-bit) to Medium (16-bit). Then do the same again, and reset Colors back
to the way it was originally. Hopefully, this will toggle the IconCache.db
into being created.