Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra
First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).

I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now banned
from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no success.
I am still locked out of regedit.exe.

What methods can I use to reenable it?

Thanks in advance!
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra
What happens if you right click the regedit.exe file and select the Run as
Administrator option?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
> Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
> change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
> this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).
>
> I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now
> banned
> from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no
> success.
> I am still locked out of regedit.exe.
>
> What methods can I use to reenable it?
>
> Thanks in advance!

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your admini
Same error message.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> What happens if you right click the regedit.exe file and select the Run as
> Administrator option?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
> > Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
> > change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
> > this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).
> >
> > I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now
> > banned
> > from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no
> > success.
> > I am still locked out of regedit.exe.
> >
> > What methods can I use to reenable it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra
Try creating a new account with Administrator permissions. Log in to that
account. Try to run regedit from there. If you can, keep going, otherwise
post back.

In regedit, click HKEY_USERS in the left-hand pane to hi-lite it, then, in
the menu bar, click 'File' -> 'Load Hive'. Navigate to the userprofile
folder for your problem account & select the NTUSER.DAT file. When
prompted to name the hive, use any text you want, 'Temp' is fine.

In your newly added hive, navigate to:

HKEY_USERS\Temp\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System

In the right-hand pane, delete the value named: DisableRegistryTools

In the left-hand pane, hi-lite the 'Temp' key. Now click click 'File' ->
'Unload Hive'. Close regedit, log off & log back in under your normal
account, You should be able to run 'regedit' now.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
> Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
> change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
> this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).
>
> I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now
> banned
> from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no
> success.
> I am still locked out of regedit.exe.
>
> What methods can I use to reenable it?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your administra
Hi Danny,

Here is another way to fix the problem.

Download regedit_enable.vbs from my site below:
http://www.winhelponline.com/fixes/regedit_enable.vbs

Save the file to Desktop. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

In the Command Prompt window, do the following:

Type "cd /d %userprofile%\desktop" and press ENTER
Type "wscript.exe regedit_enable.vbs" and press ENTER

--
Regards,

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:565282CA-C185-4A00-8488-8B2E5BD23ABD@microsoft.com...
First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).

I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now banned
from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no success.
I am still locked out of regedit.exe.

What methods can I use to reenable it?

Thanks in advance!
=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your admini
Fixed, I am back to messing things up royally!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Danny,
>
> Here is another way to fix the problem.
>
> Download regedit_enable.vbs from my site below:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/fixes/regedit_enable.vbs
>
> Save the file to Desktop. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
>
> In the Command Prompt window, do the following:
>
> Type "cd /d %userprofile%\desktop" and press ENTER
> Type "wscript.exe regedit_enable.vbs" and press ENTER
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:565282CA-C185-4A00-8488-8B2E5BD23ABD@microsoft.com...
> First off, I am the admin on my PC, it is not networked, and I am running
> Vista Home Premium. I have tried right clicking both reg editing apps to
> change permission, but all permission options are grayed out. I also had
> this problem with task manager (which I was able to fix).
>
> I did have an infection which has been cleaned (and my sister is now banned
> from my computer) but all fixes I have found online have yielded no success.
> I am still locked out of regedit.exe.
>
> What methods can I use to reenable it?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Err Message: Registry Editing has been disabled by your admini
You're welcome!

--
Regards,