Row selection in Windows Explorer

=?Utf-8?B?UEtub3N0?=

Row selection in Windows Explorer
Anyone know how to get Explorer to not select the entire row in Detail View?
I just want to select the Name column. Thanks!
Puppy Breath

Re: Row selection in Windows Explorer
I think you're confusing Explorer with Excel. Each row is Details view is a
single file. So there's no need to "select the entire row" because as soon
as you select the filename, you have selected the entire row.

You can't select a column either. The concept doesn't apply to Explorer.
Maybe you should re-phrase your question in terms of what you're intending
to do after you select the row or column.

"Puppy Breath" wrote:

> I think you're confusing Explorer with Excel. Each row is Details view is a
> single file. So there's no need to "select the entire row" because as soon
> as you select the filename, you have selected the entire row.
>
> You can't select a column either. The concept doesn't apply to Explorer.
> Maybe you should re-phrase your question in terms of what you're intending
> to do after you select the row or column.
>

> "PKnost" <PKnost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get Explorer to not select the entire row in Detail
> > View?
> > I just want to select the Name column. Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?UEtub3N0?=

Re: Row selection in Windows Explorer
Not confused at all. Windows Explorer in XP allows me to hover over a
filename, and underlines only the name, not the size, type, etc., columns. I
can click on any of the other columns and nothing happens. Actions occur
only when clicking on the actual file name. I don't remember what I did to
make it work that way, and am wondering if it's possible to make Vista behave
this way also.

"Puppy Breath" wrote:

> I think you're confusing Explorer with Excel. Each row is Details view is a
> single file. So there's no need to "select the entire row" because as soon
> as you select the filename, you have selected the entire row.
>
> You can't select a column either. The concept doesn't apply to Explorer.
> Maybe you should re-phrase your question in terms of what you're intending
> to do after you select the row or column.
>

> "PKnost" <PKnost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone know how to get Explorer to not select the entire row in Detail
> > View?
> > I just want to select the Name column. Thanks!

Nita Klew

Re: Row selection in Windows Explorer
Sorry, I see what you're saying, I think. You just don't want the whole row
to light up. You're not trying to select an entire column (all rows in a
column). Your concern is only about how it looks, not with the actual act of
"selecting", like when you select multiple files for deletion. In that case,
as far as I know, there is no way to make it light up or underline like it
did in XP.

> Not confused at all. Windows Explorer in XP allows me to hover over a
> filename, and underlines only the name, not the size, type, etc., columns.
> can click on any of the other columns and nothing happens. Actions occur
> only when clicking on the actual file name. I don't remember what I did
> make it work that way, and am wondering if it's possible to make Vista
> behave
> this way also.
>
> "Puppy Breath" wrote:
>
>> I think you're confusing Explorer with Excel. Each row is Details view is
>> single file. So there's no need to "select the entire row" because as
>> soon
>> as you select the filename, you have selected the entire row.
>>
>> You can't select a column either. The concept doesn't apply to Explorer.
>> Maybe you should re-phrase your question in terms of what you're
>> intending
>> to do after you select the row or column.
>>

>> "PKnost" <PKnost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Anyone know how to get Explorer to not select the entire row in Detail
>> > View?
>> > I just want to select the Name column. Thanks!

Puppy Breath

Re: Row selection in Windows Explorer
P.S. There are Folder Options like in Vista (click the Organize button and
choose Folder and Search Options). But I don't think there's an option to
"Select only the column name when I select a file in Details view" kind of
thing. However, even though it looks different, it all still works the same.
The icon is just selected, same as it's selected in older versions of
Windows.