Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back

Norman

Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back
I opened up explorer tongith and my Favorite Links are all missing the ones
that link me to pictures, docs, music etc. (The Navigation Bar) I tried
restoring and they
dont come back but if I right click and change to the folder I can get to
the links but why does it say empty on the Favorit Links Folder. I would
like all my links back and dont understand why they moved. I have rebooted
and nothing has changed on my PC and everything is operating nomrally

I also tried a System Restore and even a new user profile and still they
dont come back. It keeps on flashing empty. What can I try

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back
Hi Norman,

This happens if you've removed the "IsShortcut" registry value in an attempt to remove the arrow icon on shortcuts.

Click Start, type REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

In the right-pane, create a new String value (REG_SZ) named "IsShortcut"

Close Regedit.exe

If you want to hide the shortcut arrow, you may use "Method 1" here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm
(which again, is a registry edit)

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Norman" <norman@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uT$ZGOnWHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I opened up explorer tongith and my Favorite Links are all missing the ones
that link me to pictures, docs, music etc. (The Navigation Bar) I tried
restoring and they
dont come back but if I right click and change to the folder I can get to
the links but why does it say empty on the Favorit Links Folder. I would
like all my links back and dont understand why they moved. I have rebooted
and nothing has changed on my PC and everything is operating nomrally

I also tried a System Restore and even a new user profile and still they
dont come back. It keeps on flashing empty. What can I try

Microsoft News

Re: Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back
Well that worked but I didnt find the SHell Icons Key in my Registy under
Vista is there a more up to date version????

Thanks
Norman
[...]

Norman,

Hope you're checking in the right place. If the key is really missing, create one and add the required value.

FYI, the key exists in my system, by default.

--

"Microsoft News" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message news:ebpOS4nWHHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

Could you send me a reg file for it or is it documented somehwhere. I dont
want to have issues like last time as it was a mess

[...]

It's not documented at Microsoft site, afaik. You may use this .REG file:

- - -
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shell32.dll,50"

- - -

>> I dont want to have issues like last time as it was a mess

In future, pls create a System Restore point before making any changes to the registry.

--

"Microsoft News" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message news:egILgkoWHHA.4188@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

How to remove or modify the Shortcut overlay in Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/153/1/

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23ttZwPuWHHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
It's not documented at Microsoft site, afaik. You may use this .REG file:

- - -
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shell32.dll,50"

- - -

>> I dont want to have issues like last time as it was a mess

In future, pls create a System Restore point before making any changes to the registry.

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Microsoft News" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message news:egILgkoWHHA.4188@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Could you send me a reg file for it or is it documented somehwhere. I dont
want to have issues like last time as it was a mess

Norman,

Hope you're checking in the right place. If the key is really missing,
create one and add the required value.

FYI, the key exists in my system, by default.

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Microsoft News" <norman@donotspam.com> wrote in message
Well that worked but I didnt find the SHell Icons Key in my Registy under
Vista is there a more up to date version????

Thanks
Norman
Hi Norman,

This happens if you've removed the "IsShortcut" registry value in an attempt
to remove the arrow icon on shortcuts.

Click Start, type REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter
Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

In the right-pane, create a new String value (REG_SZ) named "IsShortcut"

Close Regedit.exe

If you want to hide the shortcut arrow, you may use "Method 1" here:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm
(which again, is a registry edit)

--
Regards,

Windows« Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Norman" <norman@nospam.com> wrote in message
I opened up explorer tongith and my Favorite Links are all missing the ones
that link me to pictures, docs, music etc. (The Navigation Bar) I tried
restoring and they
dont come back but if I right click and change to the folder I can get to
the links but why does it say empty on the Favorit Links Folder. I would
like all my links back and dont understand why they moved. I have rebooted
and nothing has changed on my PC and everything is operating nomrally

I also tried a System Restore and even a new user profile and still they
dont come back. It keeps on flashing empty. What can I try

Microsoft News

Re: Navigation Panel Empty and Will not come back
Thanks I had to create the key and that worked much appreicated