Search Shows Deleted Files

Silvermusic

Search Shows Deleted Files
How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting them.
I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
them from showing up in the search?
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
Hello,

although the files should disappear from the Search Index, you could try to
manually re-index files that are to be searched by going to Control Panel ->
type Search in the search box -> click Indexing Options -> Advanced... ->
Rebuild.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting
> them.
> I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> them from showing up in the search?

Peter Foldes

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
Stupid question. Did you delete them from the Recycle Bin yet

--
Peter

"Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4B936D8-10D8-49FE-9122-BA52CCDB16DD@microsoft.com...
> How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting them.
> I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> them from showing up in the search?

Silvermusic

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
Of course I deleted them from the recycle bin. I'm not retarted.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Stupid question. Did you delete them from the Recycle Bin yet
>
> --
> Peter

> "Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4B936D8-10D8-49FE-9122-BA52CCDB16DD@microsoft.com...
> > How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> > menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting them.
> > I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> > them from showing up in the search?

Silvermusic

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
Thanks

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> although the files should disappear from the Search Index, you could try to
> manually re-index files that are to be searched by going to Control Panel ->
> type Search in the search box -> click Indexing Options -> Advanced... ->
> Rebuild.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> > menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting
> > them.
> > I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> > them from showing up in the search?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
>I'm not retarted.

LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> Of course I deleted them from the recycle bin. I'm not retarted.
>
> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> Stupid question. Did you delete them from the Recycle Bin yet
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the
>> > start
>> > menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting
>> > them.
>> > I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I
>> > stop
>> > them from showing up in the search?

R. C. White

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
Hi, Silvermusic.

As P. Di Stolfo said, you can Rebuild the index now. It takes a while and
slows down your computer while it's working.

Or you can just keep working and wait until the index gets updated in the
background. Depending on the size and number of your data files, this may
take just a short time, but it may take several days, because the indexing
slows or stops whenever you are using the computer. If you leave it running
overnight, or maybe while you are out to lunch, the job might (or might not)
be done by the time you come back.

I don't think I'd like to have my computer just stop responding to me while
it rebuilds my whole index after every time I delete or add or move a file.
:>{

Some of the indexing behavior can be adjusted by using Control Panel |
Indexing Options, as P. Di Stolfo said.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting
> them.
> I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> them from showing up in the search?

Peter Foldes

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files

Never said you were. Like I said in my post . "Stupid Question" You never know . Has happened before.

--
Peter

"Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CA24A46-94B1-4289-9AEB-ECB6D2FB3A86@microsoft.com...
> Of course I deleted them from the recycle bin. I'm not retarted.
>
> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> Stupid question. Did you delete them from the Recycle Bin yet
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Silvermusic" <Silvermusic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4B936D8-10D8-49FE-9122-BA52CCDB16DD@microsoft.com...
>> > How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
>> > menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting them.
>> > I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
>> > them from showing up in the search?

alois

"Silvermusic" wrote:

> How do I find the files that the search folder and the search in the start
> menu keep showing that do not exist? I specifically remember deleting them.
> I can't delete them either because windows can't find them. How do I stop
> them from showing up in the search?

Wandering

Re: Search Shows Deleted Files
They will eventually go away on their own as the indexer catches up with
them. If it has been too long, perhaps you have shut off the indexing. If
so, turn it back on. or if you want to clean it all up. force a new index,
and you will only have what is actually on the drive at that time.

Have fun!