System restore points

Fred Myers

System restore points
My restore points don't work. each point I try to restore returns an error.
I created a restore point three days ago and they are not listed. According
to what I've read, a restore point s/b created at each restart but I have no
restart restore points. What happened?

Help!
Fred Myers

Malke

Re: System restore points
Fred Myers wrote:
> My restore points don't work. each point I try to restore returns an
> error. I created a restore point three days ago and they are not listed.
> According to what I've read, a restore point s/b created at each restart
> but I have no restart restore points. What happened?
>
> Help!
> Fred Myers

Are you dual-booting with XP? If yes, this is a known issue. Do a Google
Groups Advanced Search for "dual boot Vista XP" in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. If not, please post back with
more details about your system and the answer to The First Question Of
Troubleshooting: did this ever work and if so, what changed between the
time things worked and the time they didn't?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Fred Myers

Re: System restore points
I am not really dual booting however I have a second hard drive which has xp
installed on it. I use this strictly to copy my important data to because I
don't trust Vista. Since my last reinstall of vista, I have not used the xp
drive in a boot situation so I don't think the dual-booting problem you
mention would apply. I'm running home premium on an HP Pavilion desktop. I
have sucessfully done a system restore once since the last reinstall. The
problem occured after I tried to install Samsungs PC Studio 3.0 (cell phone
utilities) or Street Atlas 4.0. I should have tried to do a restore after
having problems with the samsung installation but instead just uninstalled
it and went on to install Street Atlas. During that install I got a message
that the registry wasn't being accessed. The Street Atlas is very old but I
use it quite a bit. I really don't want to reinstall again if I don't have
to but I'm wondering if the registry is screwed up now.

> Fred Myers wrote:
>> My restore points don't work. each point I try to restore returns an
>> error. I created a restore point three days ago and they are not listed.
>> According to what I've read, a restore point s/b created at each restart
>> but I have no restart restore points. What happened?
>>
>> Help!
>> Fred Myers

> Are you dual-booting with XP? If yes, this is a known issue. Do a Google
> Groups Advanced Search for "dual boot Vista XP" in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general. If not, please post back with more
> details about your system and the answer to The First Question Of
> Troubleshooting: did this ever work and if so, what changed between the
> time things worked and the time they didn't?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: System restore points
Fred Myers wrote:
> I am not really dual booting however I have a second hard drive which
> has xp
> installed on it. I use this strictly to copy my important data to because I
> don't trust Vista. Since my last reinstall of vista, I have not used the xp
> drive in a boot situation so I don't think the dual-booting problem you
> mention would apply. I'm running home premium on an HP Pavilion desktop. I
> have sucessfully done a system restore once since the last reinstall. The
> problem occured after I tried to install Samsungs PC Studio 3.0 (cell phone
> utilities) or Street Atlas 4.0. I should have tried to do a restore after
> having problems with the samsung installation but instead just uninstalled
> it and went on to install Street Atlas. During that install I got a message
> that the registry wasn't being accessed. The Street Atlas is very old but I
> use it quite a bit. I really don't want to reinstall again if I don't have
> to but I'm wondering if the registry is screwed up now.

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question. Since you can
pinpoint the problem to when you installed third-party software, your
feeling that this caused the problem is probably accurate. You could try
doing a repair of the operating system by booting with your Vista dvd.
Look at the lower left part of the screen for repair options.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Fred Myers

Re: System restore points
Unfortunately, it's an HP pc and it comes with the system installed on it
with an image backup in a separate partition and no dvd.

> Fred Myers wrote:
>> I am not really dual booting however I have a second hard drive which has
>> xp
>> installed on it. I use this strictly to copy my important data to because
>> don't trust Vista. Since my last reinstall of vista, I have not used the
>> xp
>> drive in a boot situation so I don't think the dual-booting problem you
>> mention would apply. I'm running home premium on an HP Pavilion desktop.
>> have sucessfully done a system restore once since the last reinstall. The
>> problem occured after I tried to install Samsungs PC Studio 3.0 (cell
>> phone
>> utilities) or Street Atlas 4.0. I should have tried to do a restore after
>> having problems with the samsung installation but instead just
>> uninstalled
>> it and went on to install Street Atlas. During that install I got a
>> message
>> that the registry wasn't being accessed. The Street Atlas is very old but
>> use it quite a bit. I really don't want to reinstall again if I don't
>> have
>> to but I'm wondering if the registry is screwed up now.

> I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question. Since you can
> pinpoint the problem to when you installed third-party software, your
> feeling that this caused the problem is probably accurate. You could try
> doing a repair of the operating system by booting with your Vista dvd.
> Look at the lower left part of the screen for repair options.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: System restore points
Fred Myers wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's an HP pc and it comes with the system installed on
> it with an image backup in a separate partition and no dvd.

Yes, that is unfortunate. If it were XP, I'd say contact a local
computer professional who will have an OEM full disk (preferably an HP)
with which to do a real repair, but since this is Vista... Vista is
still so new that I don't know if we techs will need OEM versions like
we do with XP or if an Ultimate retail will work. You might want to
check with a local tech to see if s/he can do a repair for you with a
full Ultimate.

I would definitely back up your data before doing anything like that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: System restore points
What is the exact error you're seeing?

"Fred Myers" <fredmyers160@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news2DE3CB6-E52B-43C0-9717-3205E450715D@microsoft.com...
> My restore points don't work. each point I try to restore returns an
> error. I created a restore point three days ago and they are not listed.
> According to what I've read, a restore point s/b created at each restart
> but I have no restart restore points. What happened?
>
> Help!
> Fred Myers

Malke

Re: System restore points
Jill Zoeller [MSFT] wrote:
> What is the exact error you're seeing?

Hi, Jill. Hopefully the OP will come back, but since you're in the
thread... can you answer my question? It is common here in the trenches
for OEM's like HP, Sony, etc. to not include real operating system cd's
with their systems. They may or may not include an actual restore disk
image, or they may only give the new owner a chance to create a physical
cd/dvd restore set.*

So, there are repairs/reinstalls that can only be done with an actual XP
install disk. Techs like me have entire collections of different
"flavors" of XP install cd's for this purpose (and also because end
users invariably lose their original restore disks). What is the story
with Vista? Since the Ultimate DVD has all versions, that takes care of
the need to have retail cd's for Home and Pro. What about OEM versions?
Will we need to have OEM versions of at least Ultimate?

If you want to take this off-line, email me. You can get my email from
the MVP list at Microsoft's site.

Thanks, Jill!

Malke

*This at least is an improvement over how HP handled it when XP first
came out - no way to create a restore disk so if your hard drive died,
you were SOL except for calling HP to send you restore disks for $25.