Blank Pager Icons in My Computer

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Blank Pager Icons in My Computer
I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank page
icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double click
does nothing). Here is a screenshot:

I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden files
the number of these blank icons triples.

I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through a
bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.
=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

RE: Blank PAGE Icons in My Computer
Sorry, the link to the screenie came out bad, here is a corrected one:

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?i...omputerdr6.jpg

"Danny" wrote:

> I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank page
> icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
> these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
> selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double click
> does nothing). Here is a screenshot:
>

> I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
> Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden files
> the number of these blank icons triples.
>
> I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
> want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through a
> bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Blank Pager Icons in My Computer
Have you been playing with the My Computer namespace? On my install, user
folders don't show under My Computer.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank
>page
> icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
> these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
> selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double
> click
> does nothing). Here is a screenshot:
>

> I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
> Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden
> files
> the number of these blank icons triples.
>
> I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
> want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through
> bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Re: Blank Pager Icons in My Computer
No, not that I am aware of. I'm not sure exactly what the My Computer
Namespace is.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> Have you been playing with the My Computer namespace? On my install, user
> folders don't show under My Computer.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank
> >page
> > icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
> > these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
> > selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double
> > click
> > does nothing). Here is a screenshot:
> >

> > I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
> > Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden
> > files
> > the number of these blank icons triples.
> >
> > I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
> > want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through
> > bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

Re: Blank Pager Icons in My Computer
I figured it out through a little bit of detective work.

In my users/HP_administrator folder there were a few random folders and
pictures (I'm not sure how they came to be there) but when I reorganized by
moving the contents of the folders and pictures into their respective places
the icons went away.

"Danny" wrote:

> No, not that I am aware of. I'm not sure exactly what the My Computer
> Namespace is.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
> > Have you been playing with the My Computer namespace? On my install, user
> > folders don't show under My Computer.
> >

> > --
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Keith
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> >
> > "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am getting some strange icons when I open My Computer. They are blank
> > >page
> > > icons that have the top right corner turned down. Sometimes I get 3 of
> > > these icons, other times there are up to 7. They are not editable or
> > > selectable in any way (IE Right click, properties does nothing, double
> > > click
> > > does nothing). Here is a screenshot:
> > >

> > > I cannot figure out when they started or what causes them to show up.
> > > Another wrinkle in this is that when I allow the system to show hidden
> > > files
> > > the number of these blank icons triples.
> > >
> > > I am using a Home Premium upgrade from XP Media Center Edition. I just
> > > want these dang things to go away. It sucks having to scroll down through
> > > bunch of phantoms to get to my C drive.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Blank Pager Icons in My Computer
Great. Glad it's sorted.