Search for files with parenthesis in name

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Search for files with parenthesis in name
How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
(2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
escape them but no luck.

--
Erik Wikström
Malke

Re: Search for files with parenthesis in name
Erik Wikström wrote:
> How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
> (2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
> while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
> parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
> escape them but no luck.
>
> --
> Erik Wikström

What about enclosing the search in quotes, like "(2)"? Does that work?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 2007-02-25 16:09, Malke wrote:
> Erik Wikström wrote:
>> How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering
>> (2) gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred,
>> while there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
>> parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
>> escape them but no luck.
>>
>> --
>> Erik Wikström

> What about enclosing the search in quotes, like "(2)"? Does that work?

Nope

--
Erik Wikström
Bob Hallsworth

Re: Search for files with parenthesis in name
If there are spaces around those, add them withing the quotes. Works for me!
" (2) "

Bob

"Erik Wikström" <Erik-wikstrom@telia.com> wrote in message
> How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering (2)
> gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred, while
> there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
> parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
> escape them but no luck.
>
> --
> Erik Wikström

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 2007-02-26 11:52, Bob Hallsworth wrote:
> "Erik Wikström" <Erik-wikstrom@telia.com> wrote in message
>> How do I search for files who's name contains a parenthesis? Entering (2)
>> gives me all files containing 2 (which are a couple of houndred, while
>> there should only be two or three with (2) in the name) since the
>> parentheses have a special meaning when searching. Ive tried to use \ to
>> escape them but no luck.

> If there are spaces around those, add them withing the quotes. Works
> for me!
> " (2) "

Nope, no such luck, but for some reason the number of files found was
about halved.

--
Erik Wikström
Wayne Hertz

Re: Search for files with parenthesis in name
Use XYplorer (or some other good explorer replacement) for searching and say
bye-bye to such problems.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IExlaWdo?=

Re: Search for files with parenthesis in name
It's crazy not to allow people to search for the parentheses. The problem
arose for me as a result of two failed file transfers. In both cases, the new
files were renamed with a (1) or (2) suffix. So I have thousands of these
extraneous files on my computer to get rid of. Or I could clean the hard disk
and do another file transfer, but it would be far simpler if I could simply
delete all files with a (1) or (2) suffix.

Oh, and I just tried installing XYplorer on my computer (solely to deal with
this issue). The program crashed.
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Search for files with parenthesis in name
Finally found out the way:

In the Search box, type:

name:~"*(2)*"

--