Backup withOUT the system drive?

Arthur Dent

Backup withOUT the system drive?
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows off hand if there is anyway possible to be
able to use the Windows Backup/Restore tool to do a backup that does NOT
include the [C:] Windows System drive?
I have all my data separated on a second drive, and really just want to back
up my data drive...as that is FAR more valuable to me than the system drive.
If C: went, i would just reinstall... no biggie.

Is this possible, or do i need to look for different tools?

Thanks in advance,
Arthur Dent.

Richard Urban

Re: Backup withOUT the system drive?
Use a 3rd party backup program for full flexibility.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
newsA8EAAF9-FD63-405A-B3D1-ADE49A7823DC@microsoft.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I am wondering if anyone knows off hand if there is anyway possible to be
> able to use the Windows Backup/Restore tool to do a backup that does NOT
> include the [C:] Windows System drive?
> I have all my data separated on a second drive, and really just want to
> back up my data drive...as that is FAR more valuable to me than the system
> drive. If C: went, i would just reinstall... no biggie.
>
> Is this possible, or do i need to look for different tools?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arthur Dent.

Arthur Dent

Re: Backup withOUT the system drive?
Ah well.... i thought maybe there'd be somesort of power user options or
command line switches....
Thanks ---

> Use a 3rd party backup program for full flexibility.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Arthur Dent" <hitchhikersguideto-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> newsA8EAAF9-FD63-405A-B3D1-ADE49A7823DC@microsoft.com...
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone knows off hand if there is anyway possible to be
>> able to use the Windows Backup/Restore tool to do a backup that does NOT
>> include the [C:] Windows System drive?
>> I have all my data separated on a second drive, and really just want to
>> back up my data drive...as that is FAR more valuable to me than the
>> system drive. If C: went, i would just reinstall... no biggie.
>>
>> Is this possible, or do i need to look for different tools?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Arthur Dent.

=?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=

"Arthur Dent" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am wondering if anyone knows off hand if there is anyway possible to be
> able to use the Windows Backup/Restore tool to do a backup that does NOT
> include the [C:] Windows System drive?
> I have all my data separated on a second drive, and really just want to back
> up my data drive...as that is FAR more valuable to me than the system drive.
> If C: went, i would just reinstall... no biggie.
>
> Is this possible, or do i need to look for different tools?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arthur Dent.

No Sh*T
Who ever thought that was a good idea should be canned.

You can't even do a file backup without backing up the system drive. On top
of that if you duel boot, it'll backup the vista drive and the other active
drive even though you only need to restore the Vista drive to get up again.
Apparently it backs up the entire other active drive just to get the boot
manager. STUPID!!!

I went back to Acronis 10 works good taste great!!
AJR

Re: Backup withOUT the system drive?
Vista "Complete Backup and Restore" utility provides two options file
(data) backup and a complete backup of the computer.

The file (data) backup utility does not backup system files. The files to
backup can be selective - only files on your second drive.