What are these partitions?

Mark

What are these partitions?
Using Acronis Disc Director my hard drive seems to be partitioned with two I
know about (C:\ drive and D:\ drive) but also two I don't. These two are
shown as "unallocated" with a capacity of 126 kB and "FAT16" flagged as a
primary drive at 55Mb with 47 free.

Additionally I can't seem to allocate the "unallocated" to any other
partition.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Bruce Chambers

Re: What are these partitions?
Mark wrote:
> Using Acronis Disc Director my hard drive seems to be partitioned with
> two I know about (C:\ drive and D:\ drive) but also two I don't. These
> two are shown as "unallocated" with a capacity of 126 kB and "FAT16"
> flagged as a primary drive at 55Mb with 47 free.
>
> Additionally I can't seem to allocate the "unallocated" to any other
> partition.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Mark

Have you asked whomever (assuming you didn't do so yourself) created
those partitions and installed the OS on your computer? No one else,
absent psychic powers, can possibly provide the answer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Merle

Re: What are these partitions?
Could it be your cd or dvd drive? Mine is listed as if it were a hard
drive.

"Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
> Using Acronis Disc Director my hard drive seems to be partitioned with two
> I know about (C:\ drive and D:\ drive) but also two I don't. These two are
> shown as "unallocated" with a capacity of 126 kB and "FAT16" flagged as a
> primary drive at 55Mb with 47 free.
>
> Additionally I can't seem to allocate the "unallocated" to any other
> partition.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Mark

Merle

Re: What are these partitions?
OOps, Sorry, I did some checking and it is not my dvd drive. I show 95mb
used and 16 mob free but when I explore the drive it says (Folder is Empty)
Now you have me wondering too.

"Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
> Using Acronis Disc Director my hard drive seems to be partitioned with two
> I know about (C:\ drive and D:\ drive) but also two I don't. These two are
> shown as "unallocated" with a capacity of 126 kB and "FAT16" flagged as a
> primary drive at 55Mb with 47 free.
>
> Additionally I can't seem to allocate the "unallocated" to any other
> partition.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Mark

R. C. White

Re: What are these partitions?
Hi, Mark.

I've not used Acronis Disk Director, but I'm pretty familiar with Disk
Management, which has been built into every Windows version since Windows
2000. Are you familiar with Disk Management? The quickest way to get to it
is to Run diskmgmt.msc.

Disk Management lets us customize the View of what it shows us, but the
default is to have the Volume List at the top and the Graphical View at the
bottom of the screen. The Graphical View shows the layout of each hard
drive - plus each optical drive, USB "thumb" drive, etc.

In DM, "unallocated" space is not a "drive", but is space that is not
included in any partition - yet. To use this space, just right-click on it,
then choose New Simple Volume from the context menu and follow the prompts
to create a partition, then format it and assign it a letter.

Could that "FAT16" volume be one that your computer vendor put on the disk
to hold proprietary files? If you tell us the make and model of your
computer, somebody here probably will recognize it and have some clues for
you. While I haven't bought a brand-name computer in about 20 years (I buy
motherboards, CPUs, etc., and assemble my own.), I understand that Dell, HP
and some other makers put their "secret" stuff in hidden partitions which
don't show up in normal operations, but can be seen with utilities like
Acronis DD and Disk Management. It probably will show up in the Graphical
View of Disk Management so that you can see where it is, as well as what it
is.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA