Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?

nLinked

Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
If you create a shortcut to a program in Vista into a folder, the shortcut gets the word "- Shortcut" at the end of it. But I can already see it's a shortcut by looking at the arrow on the lower-left of its icon. Is there a way to stop it adding "Shortcut" to the end of a shortcut each time? I dislike renaming it all the time.
Keith

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
Good question!
However, I'd rather have it at the end than at the beginning like XP. There may be a Registry hack to remove that.

--
Keith

If you create a shortcut to a program in Vista into a folder, the shortcut gets the word "- Shortcut" at the end of it. But I can already see it's a shortcut by looking at the arrow on the lower-left of its icon. Is there a way to stop it adding "Shortcut" to the end of a shortcut each time? I dislike renaming it all the time.
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
"link"=hex:00,00,00,00

Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"nLinked" <nLinked@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
If you create a shortcut to a program in Vista into a folder, the shortcut
gets the word "- Shortcut" at the end of it. But I can already see it's a
shortcut by looking at the arrow on the lower-left of its icon. Is there a
way to stop it adding "Shortcut" to the end of a shortcut each time? I
dislike renaming it all the time.

nLinked

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
Thank you, Keith! It has worked! I shall keep this registry key in-case I
need it in future.

Regards,

nLinked

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
> "link"=hex:00,00,00,00

> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "nLinked" <nLinked@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you create a shortcut to a program in Vista into a folder, the shortcut
> gets the word "- Shortcut" at the end of it. But I can already see it's a
> shortcut by looking at the arrow on the lower-left of its icon. Is there a
> way to stop it adding "Shortcut" to the end of a shortcut each time? I
> dislike renaming it all the time.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
You're welcome.

--

> Thank you, Keith! It has worked! I shall keep this registry key in-case I
> need it in future.
>
> Regards,
>
> nLinked
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
>> "link"=hex:00,00,00,00

>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "nLinked" <nLinked@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If you create a shortcut to a program in Vista into a folder, the
>> shortcut gets the word "- Shortcut" at the end of it. But I can already
>> see it's a shortcut by looking at the arrow on the lower-left of its
>> icon. Is there a way to stop it adding "Shortcut" to the end of a
>> shortcut each time? I dislike renaming it all the time.

Mike

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
In article <#NJ6f65VHHA.392@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Keith Miller MVP says...

> Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
> "link"=hex:00,00,00,00

Doesn't work for me!! Even after I rebooted, still get the Shortcut in the
name.
--
Mike
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
It doesn't change the name of existing shortcuts, just changes the naming of
new ones.

If you tried creating a new shortcut after the merge but before rebooting,
you overwrote the value.

Check it in Regedit.

--

"Mike" <mikemathenyathoustondotrrdotcom> wrote in message
news:MPG.2081eb866554e0e9989680@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> In article <#NJ6f65VHHA.392@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Keith Miller MVP
> says...
>
>> Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
>> "link"=hex:00,00,00,00

> Doesn't work for me!! Even after I rebooted, still get the Shortcut in the
> name.
> --
> Mike

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
That value you are changing used to be 15 (now is 30) and every time you
created a shortcut, then renamed it straight away removing Shortcut To, it
would subtract 5 from the 15. When it got to 0 it no longer prefix Shortcut
To to a new shortcut. Hopefully this sort of crap, secret and non
predictable behaviour, is now dead.

While being automated seems gone, setting the value to 0 does work. Look in
the registry as if you stuffed up the file it won't change but still appears
it worked.
"Mike" <mikemathenyathoustondotrrdotcom> wrote in message
news:MPG.2081eb866554e0e9989680@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> In article <#NJ6f65VHHA.392@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Keith Miller MVP
> says...
>
>> Save the text between the lines as a .reg file. Then merge the file.

>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer]
>> "link"=hex:00,00,00,00

> Doesn't work for me!! Even after I rebooted, still get the Shortcut in the
> name.
> --
> Mike

Mike

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
In article <ua3duxaeHHA.3956@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Keith Miller MVP says...

> It doesn't change the name of existing shortcuts, just changes the naming of
> new ones.
>
> If you tried creating a new shortcut after the merge but before rebooting,
> you overwrote the value.
>
> Check it in Regedit.

Aha! I tried before rebooting - rebooting seems to have done the trick! Thanx!
--
Mike
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Removing "Shortcut" word after creating a shortcut?
You're welcome. Glad it's sorted.

--

news:MPG.2082daaf3b62cdbd989681@msnews.microsoft.c om...