Searching files

=?Utf-8?B?TWluZw==?=

Searching files
In Windows XP Pro, when I click on search, it allow me to search for file
name & content of the file. e.g, if I want to find the files which named
"ABC123.doc", with the content inside contain of the word "testing", but if I
have 50 files with the name of "ABC001.doc", "ABC002.doc", "ABC003.doc" & so
on, I can type "ABC" in file name, & "testing" in content, it will prompt out
that particular file.
But, for Windows Vista Business, I can't find any feature as such, it only
allow to search for file name.
Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Searching files
This is the default behavior of Vista for files that are in an indexed
location, so I'm assuming you are searching in a non-indexed location. For
files that are in a non-indexed location you can go to Folder Options ->
Search, and select "Always search file names and contents", or you could add
this location to the index with the Indexing Optiond control panel.

Dave Wood

"Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In Windows XP Pro, when I click on search, it allow me to search for file
> name & content of the file. e.g, if I want to find the files which named
> "ABC123.doc", with the content inside contain of the word "testing", but
> if I
> have 50 files with the name of "ABC001.doc", "ABC002.doc", "ABC003.doc" &
> so
> on, I can type "ABC" in file name, & "testing" in content, it will prompt
> out
> that particular file.
> But, for Windows Vista Business, I can't find any feature as such, it only
> allow to search for file name.

=?Utf-8?B?TWluZw==?=

Re: Searching files
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your answer, but i already tried this methid earlier, it
doesn't work.

tq
Low

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> This is the default behavior of Vista for files that are in an indexed
> location, so I'm assuming you are searching in a non-indexed location. For
> files that are in a non-indexed location you can go to Folder Options ->
> Search, and select "Always search file names and contents", or you could add
> this location to the index with the Indexing Optiond control panel.
>
> Dave Wood
>

> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows XP Pro, when I click on search, it allow me to search for file
> > name & content of the file. e.g, if I want to find the files which named
> > "ABC123.doc", with the content inside contain of the word "testing", but
> > if I
> > have 50 files with the name of "ABC001.doc", "ABC002.doc", "ABC003.doc" &
> > so
> > on, I can type "ABC" in file name, & "testing" in content, it will prompt
> > out
> > that particular file.
> > But, for Windows Vista Business, I can't find any feature as such, it only
> > allow to search for file name.

Dave Wood [MS]

Re: Searching files
Can you explain exactly what you are searching for and how?

"Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsAD65F38-0214-40FA-8A9F-180B2CF58AA0@microsoft.com...
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thank you for your answer, but i already tried this methid earlier, it
> doesn't work.
>
> tq
> Low
>

> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> This is the default behavior of Vista for files that are in an indexed
>> location, so I'm assuming you are searching in a non-indexed location.
>> For
>> files that are in a non-indexed location you can go to Folder Options ->
>> Search, and select "Always search file names and contents", or you could
>> add
>> this location to the index with the Indexing Optiond control panel.
>>
>> Dave Wood
>>

>> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > In Windows XP Pro, when I click on search, it allow me to search for
>> > file
>> > name & content of the file. e.g, if I want to find the files which
>> > named
>> > "ABC123.doc", with the content inside contain of the word "testing",
>> > but
>> > if I
>> > have 50 files with the name of "ABC001.doc", "ABC002.doc", "ABC003.doc"
>> > &
>> > so
>> > on, I can type "ABC" in file name, & "testing" in content, it will
>> > prompt
>> > out
>> > that particular file.
>> > But, for Windows Vista Business, I can't find any feature as such, it
>> > only
>> > allow to search for file name.

=?Utf-8?B?TWluZw==?=

Re: Searching files
I wanted to search for "file name" & "content". WinXP allow me to search file
name & keyword. but vista can't find the exact file correctly. even i just
key in the file name, vista also show "no files found"

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Can you explain exactly what you are searching for and how?
>
> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> newsAD65F38-0214-40FA-8A9F-180B2CF58AA0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Thank you for your answer, but i already tried this methid earlier, it
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > tq
> > Low
> >

> > "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> This is the default behavior of Vista for files that are in an indexed
> >> location, so I'm assuming you are searching in a non-indexed location.
> >> For
> >> files that are in a non-indexed location you can go to Folder Options ->
> >> Search, and select "Always search file names and contents", or you could
> >> add
> >> this location to the index with the Indexing Optiond control panel.
> >>
> >> Dave Wood

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=

Re: Searching files
I have a user who can't search as she did in XP either, and I am looking for
a solution for her. In XP she would search by a word in the file name and
also key words in the content in a network share. In vista, it apears she
can not specify both. She must leave her computer and go to an XP machine to
do her search.

Does anyone know how she can get back the functionality of the Windows XP
serach?
--
Ken

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Can you explain exactly what you are searching for and how?
>
> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> newsAD65F38-0214-40FA-8A9F-180B2CF58AA0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Thank you for your answer, but i already tried this methid earlier, it
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > tq
> > Low
> >

> > "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> This is the default behavior of Vista for files that are in an indexed
> >> location, so I'm assuming you are searching in a non-indexed location.
> >> For
> >> files that are in a non-indexed location you can go to Folder Options ->
> >> Search, and select "Always search file names and contents", or you could
> >> add
> >> this location to the index with the Indexing Optiond control panel.
> >>
> >> Dave Wood

Re: Searching files
You could read help. All answers are there. Search on Advanced Query Syntax.
"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a user who can't search as she did in XP either, and I am looking
>for
> a solution for her. In XP she would search by a word in the file name and
> also key words in the content in a network share. In vista, it apears she
> can not specify both. She must leave her computer and go to an XP machine
> do her search.
>
> Does anyone know how she can get back the functionality of the Windows XP
> serach?
> --
> Ken
>

> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Can you explain exactly what you are searching for and how?
>>
>> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> newsAD65F38-0214-40FA-8A9F-180B2CF58AA0@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your answer, but i already tried this methid earlier, it
>> > doesn't work.
>> >
>> > tq
>> > Low

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=

Re: Searching files
No, the answer is not there. The Advanced search does not let one search by
both the file contents and the file name at the same time. She routinely and
simultaneously searches before and after dates, file title and file contents
within the search interface of network shares. Boolean filters possible
could, but because network drives are not and cannot be indexed in Vista,
Vista will not search the file contents on the network share she need to
search. In any case, expecting my office staff to use long boolean
expressions to do a simple search they use to do with a simple interface is
unacceptable. Is this lost of functionality for real? At the Event Launch
the search capability of Vista was the biggest point pounded home. There
must be something I am missing.
--
Ken

"." wrote:

> You could read help. All answers are there. Search on Advanced Query Syntax.
> "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a user who can't search as she did in XP either, and I am looking
> >for
> > a solution for her. In XP she would search by a word in the file name and
> > also key words in the content in a network share. In vista, it apears she
> > can not specify both. She must leave her computer and go to an XP machine
> > do her search.
> >
> > Does anyone know how she can get back the functionality of the Windows XP
> > serach?
> > --
> > Ken
> >

> > "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you explain exactly what you are searching for and how?
> >>
> >> "Ming" <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> newsAD65F38-0214-40FA-8A9F-180B2CF58AA0@microsoft.com...

Dennis_N

Re: Searching files
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:41:06 -0800, Ming <lowchua@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In Windows XP Pro, when I click on search, it allow me to search for file
>name & content of the file. e.g, if I want to find the files which named
>"ABC123.doc", with the content inside contain of the word "testing", but if I
>have 50 files with the name of "ABC001.doc", "ABC002.doc", "ABC003.doc" & so
>on, I can type "ABC" in file name, & "testing" in content, it will prompt out
>that particular file.
>But, for Windows Vista Business, I can't find any feature as such, it only
>allow to search for file name.

If you want to find a file that contains ie. the text '1234' and you
only want files that are named ie bob , then enter

1234 name:bob

Regards