Folders with Arrows

Jack B

Folders with Arrows
I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows, what
are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them? They
seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when I try to
open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.

Thanks,

Jack

Deb or Dave

Re: Folders with Arrows
Sounds like you upgraded.
The shortcuts are to the old XP directories, like "My Documents" &
"Documents and Settings"?
Vista doesn't use those directories, but creates shortcuts from them to the
new directories, for any shortcuts you may have had in XP.

"Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows,
> what are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them?
> They seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when I
> try to open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack

Jack B

Re: Folders with Arrows
I did upgrade, because my computer locked up when I tried to do a completely
clean install. Anyway, then deleting these annoying folder icons shouldn't
be a problem, correct?

Thanks,

Jack

"Deb or Dave" <ms.deb@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like you upgraded.
> The shortcuts are to the old XP directories, like "My Documents" &
> "Documents and Settings"?
> Vista doesn't use those directories, but creates shortcuts from them to
> the new directories, for any shortcuts you may have had in XP.
>

> "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows,
>> what are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them?
>> They seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when
>> I try to open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack

Richard Urban

Re: Folders with Arrows
You can't delete them. Don't even try. They are necessary for proper
operation of your O/S and are system protected.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

>I did upgrade, because my computer locked up when I tried to do a
>completely clean install. Anyway, then deleting these annoying folder
>icons shouldn't be a problem, correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>
> "Deb or Dave" <ms.deb@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Sounds like you upgraded.
>> The shortcuts are to the old XP directories, like "My Documents" &
>> "Documents and Settings"?
>> Vista doesn't use those directories, but creates shortcuts from them to
>> the new directories, for any shortcuts you may have had in XP.
>>

>> "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows,
>>> what are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them?
>>> They seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when
>>> I try to open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jack

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Folders with Arrows
They are present with a clean install as well. Intended to improve the odds
that software that doesn't do everything properly will still run.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Deb or Dave" <ms.deb@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like you upgraded.
> The shortcuts are to the old XP directories, like "My Documents" &
> "Documents and Settings"?
> Vista doesn't use those directories, but creates shortcuts from them to
> the new directories, for any shortcuts you may have had in XP.
>

> "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows,
>> what are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them?
>> They seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when
>> I try to open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Folders with Arrows
Richard,

"...necessary for proper operation of your O/S..." ???

I was under the impression they were for compatibility with poorly written
software that assumes certain paths rather than 'asks' the OS for the
location of special folders. If you're only using well-behaved software,
the junctions are unnecessary.

--

> You can't delete them. Don't even try. They are necessary for proper
> operation of your O/S and are system protected.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I did upgrade, because my computer locked up when I tried to do a
>>completely clean install. Anyway, then deleting these annoying folder
>>icons shouldn't be a problem, correct?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack
>>
>> "Deb or Dave" <ms.deb@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Sounds like you upgraded.
>>> The shortcuts are to the old XP directories, like "My Documents" &
>>> "Documents and Settings"?
>>> Vista doesn't use those directories, but creates shortcuts from them to
>>> the new directories, for any shortcuts you may have had in XP.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Folders with Arrows
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:38:22 -0600, "Jack B" <jbruss@wi.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm new to Vista - just loaded it yesterday. In file explore windows, what
>are all the folders with what appear to be shortcut arrows on them? They
>seem to be sprinkled all over the place, coming and going, and when I try to
>open one of them, I get and "access denied" message.

Those are "junctions", and are there for the benefit of programs that
are hard-coded to use old paths and locations. They're a bit like a
shortcut, except a bit deeper into the file system.

If you have the default "hide..." settings in Windows Explorer, you
prolly wouldn't see them. If you're like me and want to see
"everything", then it's up to you to understand what you see :-)

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!

Richard Urban

Re: Folders with Arrows
I sort of consider that compatibility with most older programs is proper
operation of the system.

If he/she were able to delete the junction points, what chance would the
older programs have of installing and running? They (the junction points)
are protected just for this reason.