Right-click no option to create "folder"

=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlzNTU1?=

Right-click no option to create "folder"
I have several options with right-click. Top-most choice is "shortcut". There
is an option listed to create a ZIP file. I dont want ZIP files.

PLease advise.

(The "professional" at HP wasted an hour of my time and never got back to me
via email. I guess it's not on their list).
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right-click no option to create "folder"
Hi Dennis,

See if applying the "Folder" association fix from here reinstates the "New>Folder" option.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
> See if applying the "Folder" association fix from here reinstates
> the "New>Folder" option.
> File association fixes for Windows Vista:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
> Regards,
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP

Ramesh. thatnks so much. I forst tried the "Files" fix with no effect. Then
I applied the "ZIP" assocaiation fix and abracadabra, all is well.

Thanks again,
Dennis
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right-click no option to create "folder"
>> I applied the "ZIP" assocaiation fix and abracadabra, all is well.

Interesting! I'm wondering how the zip file association restored the "Folder" option in the New sub-menu?

--
Regards,

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

>>> Ramesh. thatnks so much. I forst tried the "Files"
>>> fix with no effect. Then I applied the "ZIP"
>>> assocaiation fix and abracadabra, all is well.

Thanks again,
Dennis

>> I applied the "ZIP" assocaiation fix and abracadabra,
>> all is well.

> Interesting! I'm wondering how the zip file association
> restored the "Folder" option in the New sub-menu?
> Regards,Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP

Just so that you know, the same problem happened again, this time I had
saved the web page you displayed above (with the Vista associations) and the
same fix worked (ZIP association). I can't say I did or didn't somehow cause
this by messing with a home network and trying to get to a point where at
least one computer (one has win XP) can see the other, and send/recieve files.
....Dennis
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Right-click no option to create "folder"
Dennis,

Thanks for the confirmation! In case this happens again, it helps if you send me the .zip file association details. Export these two registry keys, and you may mail it to me:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder

--
Regards,