Problem writing ID3 tags

Extracampine

Problem writing ID3 tags
When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on my
internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .

I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner to
edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these files,
and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch folders then

The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file permission
issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Extracampine

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
And, if I move the album to my C:, then move it back to I:, I can then edit
the ID3 !!

"Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on
> my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .
>
> I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner to
> edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these
> files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch
> folders then go back to that folder.
>
> The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file permission
> issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Extracampine

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
And, if I move the album to my internal C:, then back to my external drive
(I, I am able to do it !!

Any ideas why this may be ?

"Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on
> my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .
>
> I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner to
> edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these
> files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch
> folders then go back to that folder.
>
> The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file permission
> issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Extracampine

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
And, if I move the album to my internal hard disc (c, then back to my
external hard disc (I, I am able to edit the ID3s !!

Any ideas ?

"Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on
> my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .
>
> I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner to
> edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these
> files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch
> folders then go back to that folder.
>
> The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file permission
> issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
Have you examined effective permissions before and after moving a
file/album?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

> And, if I move the album to my internal hard disc (c, then back to my
> external hard disc (I, I am able to edit the ID3s !!
>
> Any ideas ?
>

> "Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on
>> my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .
>>
>> I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner
>> to edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these
>> files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch
>> folders then go back to that folder.
>>
>> The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file
>> permission issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Extracampine

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
How do I examine effective permissions ?

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Have you examined effective permissions before and after moving a
> file/album?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> And, if I move the album to my internal hard disc (c, then back to my
>> external hard disc (I, I am able to edit the ID3s !!
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>

>> "Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> When editing ID3 tags for MP3 files, I have no problems editing files on
>>> my internal C: , but I cannot edit them on my external I: .
>>>
>>> I use Windows Media Player 11, but also Ultra Tag Editor and TagScanner
>>> to edit tags. Tagscanner does not even let me change ID3 tags for these
>>> files, and MediaMonkey does but then "forgets" the changes if I switch
>>> folders then go back to that folder.
>>>
>>> The files are not read-only and I dont think there are any file
>>> permission issues. Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Dale

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
Right click a file or folder. Choose
Properties->Security->Advanced->Effective Permissions.

> How do I examine effective permissions ?
>

> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Have you examined effective permissions before and after moving a
>> file/album?
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> And, if I move the album to my internal hard disc (c, then back to my
>>> external hard disc (I, I am able to edit the ID3s !!
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?

Extracampine

Re: Problem writing ID3 tags
TOP NOTCH GUYS!! !

You fixed the problem. For some reason, permissions such as write were not
enabled (despite being enabled on other drives, and despite me being the
only user on the system).

Thanks !

"Dale" <nospam@nospam.ever> wrote in message
> Right click a file or folder. Choose
> Properties->Security->Advanced->Effective Permissions.
>

> "Extracampine" <lostfrogg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> How do I examine effective permissions ?
>>

>> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Have you examined effective permissions before and after moving a
>>> file/album?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Keith