RAW files and importers

nicholas hall

RAW files and importers
Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.

The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture
can not see the RAW files.
Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
and handle the said RAW files?
At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
I know that the said program does not officially support vista but Photoshop
Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that program the
photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like I
have mentioned and they are having success or not?

Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.

NIK

macropod

Re: RAW files and importers
Hi Nicholas,

Canon's Digital Photo Professional and ZoomBrowser EX both read Canon's RAW files. Both would have come with your 350D. Check the
Canon website for updates.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:91FC501E-FFBC-4043-BD4F-F4C0FB2023A9@microsoft.com...
> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>
> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture can not see the RAW files.
> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see and handle the said RAW files?
> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but Photoshop Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when
> trying that program the photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like I have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>
> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>
> NIK

Ben Enfield

Re: RAW files and importers
There is nothing better than Lightrooom. Don't switch, it is the best
program out there for basic photo management.

Ben

"nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>
> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my
> picture can not see the RAW files.
> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
> and handle the said RAW files?
> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but
> Photoshop Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that
> program the photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like
> I have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>
> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>
> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: RAW files and importers
If I can sort out the problem with importing pictures then I can see myself
sticking with it (Lightroom), but if I can not sort out the importing of
pictures then I will have little choice but to find a program that can do
what I want with it.

NIK

"Ben Enfield" <benfield@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> There is nothing better than Lightrooom. Don't switch, it is the best
> program out there for basic photo management.
>
> Ben
>
> "nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>>
>> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my
>> picture can not see the RAW files.
>> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
>> and handle the said RAW files?
>> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
>> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but
>> Photoshop Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that
>> program the photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
>> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like
>> I have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>>
>> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>>
>> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

RE: RAW files and importers
I am having the same problem and posted my exact issues with Vista and RAW
files. You can see my post if you search RAW Vista Download. I will also
come back here and paste my problems in this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

"nicholas hall" wrote:

> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>
> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture
> can not see the RAW files.
> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
> and handle the said RAW files?
> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but Photoshop
> Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that program the
> photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like I
> have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>
> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>
> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

RE: RAW files and importers
Here is my problem as described in my post;

I just bought an Acer Aspire 9410 laptop with a dual-core processor and 2 GB
memory and Windows Vista installed.

I attach my Canon 30D as usual and PSE5 shows the camera but states "No
Valid Files" under the box.

I then took some quick RAW and a JPG photos and it Downloaded the JPG in
seconds but ignored the RAW file.

I then moved the Files (RAW & JPG) to a desktop folder and PSE5 recognized
all of them and uploaded them into the PSE5 program.

I then tried a DVD with 200+ RAW files from a shoot and PSE5 again uploaded
them from the disk with no problem. I can view the thumbnails and the photos
in the organizer as usual.

I then went to my desktop and uploaded the photos from the camera directly
into PSE5. The desktop is running Windows XP so I am led to believe that this
is a PSE5/Vista compatibility problem.

Now an additional problem is that the .CR2 files that have been uploaded
from the disk and into PSE5 have problems opening.

When I try to open the .CR2 files into the editor, I get a message that
states "Camera Raw requires a minimum display resolution of 1024 pixels wide
and 768 pixels high. Your display is set to a lower resolution. Continue
anyway?" My resolution is set to 1440 X 900. I have also tried all of the
other resolutions offered and still get the same message.

I have updated both Vista and PSE5 with the latest updates and I have
installed the most recent ACR plugin.

As a check, I also tried to upload to Picasa2 and all it did was recognize
the camera but never download. Again this seems to be a Vista compatiblity
problem.

I guess I am hoping that someone is going to tellme of a check box or
something that will fix this.

Thanks for any help on this

=?Utf-8?B?QmlzaA==?=

RE: RAW files and importers
I have the XTi and Lightroom sees the CR2 (Raw) files ok. I can select Import
and it does import the files into lightroom. I am using the released version
of Lightroom, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The only problem I
seem to have is Windows Vista cannot see the RAW files in the picture
browser. So if I'm looking for a picture I can only see jpg file and not the
raw images. The Canon site has updates for Zoombrowser EX if that helps you.
They are working on a fix for Digital Prof. and Vista so keep checking. As
far as Lightroom goes though, it's a awsome program and seems to work fine in
Vista so far. I can Import and Export files so far. Are you using the beta
version or the released version?

Bish

"nicholas hall" wrote:

> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>
> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture
> can not see the RAW files.
> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
> and handle the said RAW files?
> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but Photoshop
> Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that program the
> photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like I
> have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>
> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>
> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

RE: RAW files and importers
Thanks for the response Bish,

I am not using Lightroom yet as I was waiting for the complete release and
some of the bugs to be wiorked out. I wouldn't have gone with Vista yet if
it hadn't been installed on the computer I bought.

I think a strange thing is that my Adobe program shows all the RAW files in
the organizer I just can't download or get it to read my screen reolution and
yours can't see the RAW files but downloads and edits fine.

I wonder if I can find a copy of XP and just reformat and use that?

Thanks again.

Jim

"Bish" wrote:

> I have the XTi and Lightroom sees the CR2 (Raw) files ok. I can select Import
> and it does import the files into lightroom. I am using the released version
> of Lightroom, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The only problem I
> seem to have is Windows Vista cannot see the RAW files in the picture
> browser. So if I'm looking for a picture I can only see jpg file and not the
> raw images. The Canon site has updates for Zoombrowser EX if that helps you.
> They are working on a fix for Digital Prof. and Vista so keep checking. As
> far as Lightroom goes though, it's a awsome program and seems to work fine in
> Vista so far. I can Import and Export files so far. Are you using the beta
> version or the released version?
>
> Bish
>
> "nicholas hall" wrote:
>
> > Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
> >
> > The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my picture
> > can not see the RAW files.
> > Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
> > and handle the said RAW files?
> > At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
> > I know that the said program does not officially support vista but Photoshop
> > Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that program the
> > photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
> > I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like I
> > have mentioned and they are having success or not?
> >
> > Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
> >
> > NIK

nicholas hall

Re: RAW files and importers
Bish I am running the final version.

I have tried the Zoombrowser with no luck.

I went to the canon site and downloaded the update. I installed it and ran
it. The trouble is the program says that my model of camera is not
supported??? (I know I downloaded the right version of software for my model
of camera).

So at the moment I am using the old drag and drop method of importing
picture onto my computer.

NIK

"Bish" <Bish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the XTi and Lightroom sees the CR2 (Raw) files ok. I can select
>Import
> and it does import the files into lightroom. I am using the released
> version
> of Lightroom, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The only problem I
> seem to have is Windows Vista cannot see the RAW files in the picture
> browser. So if I'm looking for a picture I can only see jpg file and not
> the
> raw images. The Canon site has updates for Zoombrowser EX if that helps
> you.
> They are working on a fix for Digital Prof. and Vista so keep checking. As
> far as Lightroom goes though, it's a awsome program and seems to work fine
> in
> Vista so far. I can Import and Export files so far. Are you using the beta
> version or the released version?
>
> Bish
>
> "nicholas hall" wrote:
>
>> Most of the pictures I take on my canon EOS 350D are taken as a RAW file.
>>
>> The trouble I am having is that ALL the programs I use to import my
>> picture
>> can not see the RAW files.
>> Once the pictures are on my computer the main part of the program can see
>> and handle the said RAW files?
>> At the moment I am trying out Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.
>> I know that the said program does not officially support vista but
>> Photoshop
>> Elements 5 is supposed to support vista and when trying that program the
>> photo downloader would not see RAW files either?
>> I am just wondering if anyone is importing RAW files using a program like
>> have mentioned and they are having success or not?
>>
>> Any help or information would be gratefully accepted.
>>
>> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?=

RE: RAW files and importers
I got part of my problem solved. I handled the part where the computer wasn't
reading my resolution by changing the .EXE properties section of each
executable file in the PSE5 program.

I am still working on the download from the camera problem.

"dazzlin" from the VistaBabble.com website offered the following for when
you have software problems in Vista;

This was mentioned in other threads, but I thought it was useful enough to
make a thread of its own. If you are having a problem with a piece of
software working in Windows Vista, try the following before pulling your hair
out, or throwing your computer against the wall.

1. Right-click on the program's .exe file and choose Properties
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
Windows XP

(You'll notice it also has a box that can be checked to run the program in
Administrator mode. That may also solve a problem or two).