Can't find Downloaded Files

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpcA==?=

Can't find Downloaded Files
I'm having the same problem. This is a brand new laptop, clean install from
> dell. I tried downloading Symantec Virus Scan 8 times. 3 times I chose
> SAVE, and chose to put in on my Desktop. 2 times I chose SAVE, and put it in
> my DOCUMENT folder. 5 times I chose RUN. Each time it looks like its
> downloading, but the file never shows up at its destination. I even did a
> search for the file name. No finding.
>
> I tried Yahoo Messenger. Same thing. It never shows up in a destination
> folder, or if I choose RUN, it never starts an install, and the file I
> download is never found in a search.

I have switched all folders to SHOW HIDDEN FILES, and I have looked in the
DOWNLOADS folders, the TEMP folders, the LOW folder, the VIRTUAL STORE
folder, APPDATA folders... I've read all the threads.. none see to work.

The only post I've seen where something actually worked was using Firefox
instead of IE7.

I don't want Firefox, i bought Windows... I want windows to work...

> Please help... without certain networking software I need to download, the
> purchase of a laptop is worthless..

R. C. White, MVP

Re: Can't find Downloaded Files
Hi, Chip.

Sometimes the old tools work when the new ones don't. Have you tried the
Command Prompt?

Open a Command Prompt window (often incorrectly called a "DOS window"
because it looks and behaves much like MS-DOS). At the C:\ prompt, use the
Dir command with the /s switch to include the contents of subdirectories in
your search and /a to find ALL files, even those with attributes such as
Hidden or System. There are several ways to open a Command Prompt window.
One is to click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt. (As
one who started with computers before MS-DOS was written, I use this often
and have it in Quick Launch, on a Hotkey, and other shortcuts.)

In other words:
dir C:\syman*.* /s /a

This creates a listing, starting in the Root (\) of Drive C: and looking in
the whole drive for files whose name starts with "syman", no matter what the
rest of the filename or extension are. Obviously, substitute the full or
partial name of the file you are looking for. Be prepared for a long wait
if it is a big volume with lots of files, but if such a file is there, this
will find it. If it's not on C:, try again with D:\, E:\, etc.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX