Cannot find files

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

Cannot find files
Everytime i download a file it seems to have downloaded properly but when i
go to the folder where the file was supposed to be, it is empty. I have just
spent 2 hours with the online chat support, did not get anywhere.

I have read on here people with the same situation but it doesnt seem like
they have a solution either. Please help I cannot download anything and it is
miserable.

Malke

Re: Cannot find files
Charles wrote:
> Everytime i download a file it seems to have downloaded properly but when i
> go to the folder where the file was supposed to be, it is empty. I have just
> spent 2 hours with the online chat support, did not get anywhere.
>
> I have read on here people with the same situation but it doesnt seem like
> they have a solution either. Please help I cannot download anything and it is
> miserable.

To where do you think you're downloading? To the Desktop? How many user
accounts do you have and are they administrators or standard. Give us a
little bit of history of the machine. Is this a clean install of Vista
RTM? Upgrade? What version?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

Re: Cannot find files
I upgraded from xp media center edition. I have it sent up for 2 users both
administrators(at least i think so). I dont know why i would have assigned
them standard.

I am downloading the files to "(user) jessica, (folder) documents". The
file seems to download but it is not in the folder. I have tried different
folders different files and get the same result.

"Malke" wrote:

> Charles wrote:
> > Everytime i download a file it seems to have downloaded properly but when i
> > go to the folder where the file was supposed to be, it is empty. I have just
> > spent 2 hours with the online chat support, did not get anywhere.
> >
> > I have read on here people with the same situation but it doesnt seem like
> > they have a solution either. Please help I cannot download anything and it is
> > miserable.

> To where do you think you're downloading? To the Desktop? How many user
> accounts do you have and are they administrators or standard. Give us a
> little bit of history of the machine. Is this a clean install of Vista
> RTM? Upgrade? What version?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Cannot find files
Charles wrote:
> I upgraded from xp media center edition. I have it sent up for 2 users both
> administrators(at least i think so). I dont know why i would have assigned
> them standard.
>
> I am downloading the files to "(user) jessica, (folder) documents". The
> file seems to download but it is not in the folder. I have tried different
> folders different files and get the same result.

Have you tried just downloading to the Desktop? If not, please do that
and report back. Since you have two users, please log into the second
user account and try to download to the Desktop. Are you using IE7 to
download? If you are and downloading to the second user's Desktop
doesn't produce the file, please install Firefox from www.mozilla.com
and try to download something with that.

Also, what are you downloading? Are the failed downloads all from one
particular site or from various sites?

As you can tell from these questions, I'm trying to narrow down the
troubleshooting path. Since I can't see your computer, you have to help
with the description of what is happening.

If this is too frustrating for you and you don't want to do this, that's
OK. Have a local professional or skilled friend (someone who is really
skilled, not someone who just says s/he is) come over and take a look.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

Re: Cannot find files
I justr attempted to download firefox and the same thing happens, the file
seems to download fine but when i go to the folder to retrieve it it isnt
there. I also made sure to save it to the desktop and that didnt work either.

To be honest i wonder if it is even saving to my computer. When i select the
run option it goes through the motions as if its downloading but the same
thing happens, nothing after downloading.

I tried right-clicking a picture to see if i could save that and that worked
but thats it.

Thanks again for the help.

"Malke" wrote:

> Charles wrote:
> > I upgraded from xp media center edition. I have it sent up for 2 users both
> > administrators(at least i think so). I dont know why i would have assigned
> > them standard.
> >
> > I am downloading the files to "(user) jessica, (folder) documents". The
> > file seems to download but it is not in the folder. I have tried different
> > folders different files and get the same result.

> Have you tried just downloading to the Desktop? If not, please do that
> and report back. Since you have two users, please log into the second
> user account and try to download to the Desktop. Are you using IE7 to
> download? If you are and downloading to the second user's Desktop
> doesn't produce the file, please install Firefox from www.mozilla.com
> and try to download something with that.
>
> Also, what are you downloading? Are the failed downloads all from one
> particular site or from various sites?
>
> As you can tell from these questions, I'm trying to narrow down the
> troubleshooting path. Since I can't see your computer, you have to help
> with the description of what is happening.
>
> If this is too frustrating for you and you don't want to do this, that's
> OK. Have a local professional or skilled friend (someone who is really
> skilled, not someone who just says s/he is) come over and take a look.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcw==?=

Re: Cannot find files
No this isnt to confusing, i really appreciatr the help. I have tried
downloading different types of files from various sites with both accounts
and receive the same result . I am useing IE7.

I try to upgrade to the new version of itunes, I click save and select a
folder within that "users" file to download to. ?When i go to retrieve the
file i downloaded it isnt there.

Also try to download mp3's from music message boards. Also i couldnt even
download the microsoft easy assist tool while doing the chat last night.

I will attempt to download firefox

I thav

"Malke" wrote:

> Charles wrote:
> > I upgraded from xp media center edition. I have it sent up for 2 users both
> > administrators(at least i think so). I dont know why i would have assigned
> > them standard.
> >
> > I am downloading the files to "(user) jessica, (folder) documents". The
> > file seems to download but it is not in the folder. I have tried different
> > folders different files and get the same result.

> Have you tried just downloading to the Desktop? If not, please do that
> and report back. Since you have two users, please log into the second
> user account and try to download to the Desktop. Are you using IE7 to
> download? If you are and downloading to the second user's Desktop
> doesn't produce the file, please install Firefox from www.mozilla.com
> and try to download something with that.
>
> Also, what are you downloading? Are the failed downloads all from one
> particular site or from various sites?
>
> As you can tell from these questions, I'm trying to narrow down the
> troubleshooting path. Since I can't see your computer, you have to help
> with the description of what is happening.
>
> If this is too frustrating for you and you don't want to do this, that's
> OK. Have a local professional or skilled friend (someone who is really
> skilled, not someone who just says s/he is) come over and take a look.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hpcA==?=

RE: Cannot find files
I'm having the same problem. This is a brand new laptop, clean install from
dell. I tried downloading Symantec Virus Scan 8 times. 3 times I chose
SAVE, and chose to put in on my Desktop. 2 times I chose SAVE, and put it in
my DOCUMENT folder. 5 times I chose RUN. Each time it looks like its
downloading, but the file never shows up at its destination. I even did a
search for the file name. No finding.

I tried Yahoo Messenger. Same thing. It never shows up in a destination
folder, or if I choose RUN, it never starts an install, and the file I
download is never found in a search.

Please help... without certain networking software I need to download, the
purchase of a laptop is worthless..

"Charles" wrote:

> Everytime i download a file it seems to have downloaded properly but when i
> go to the folder where the file was supposed to be, it is empty. I have just
> spent 2 hours with the online chat support, did not get anywhere.
>
> I have read on here people with the same situation but it doesnt seem like
> they have a solution either. Please help I cannot download anything and it is
> miserable.

Malke

Re: Cannot find files
Chip wrote:
> I'm having the same problem. This is a brand new laptop, clean install from
> dell. I tried downloading Symantec Virus Scan 8 times. 3 times I chose
> SAVE, and chose to put in on my Desktop. 2 times I chose SAVE, and put it in
> my DOCUMENT folder. 5 times I chose RUN. Each time it looks like its
> downloading, but the file never shows up at its destination. I even did a
> search for the file name. No finding.
>
> I tried Yahoo Messenger. Same thing. It never shows up in a destination
> folder, or if I choose RUN, it never starts an install, and the file I
> download is never found in a search.
>
> Please help... without certain networking software I need to download, the
> purchase of a laptop is worthless..
>
> "Charles" wrote:
>
>> Everytime i download a file it seems to have downloaded properly but when i
>> go to the folder where the file was supposed to be, it is empty. I have just
>> spent 2 hours with the online chat support, did not get anywhere.
>>
>> I have read on here people with the same situation but it doesnt seem like
>> they have a solution either. Please help I cannot download anything and it is
>> miserable.

Chip, please make a new post with all the details. You may be
experiencing the same issue as Charles but your situation is completely
different. He upgraded from XP MCE and you didn't. In order for people
to give both of you help, you should separate your issue from his thread.

Malke

Charles wrote:
> No this isnt to confusing, i really appreciatr the help. I have tried
> downloading different types of files from various sites with both accounts
> and receive the same result . I am useing IE7.
>
> I try to upgrade to the new version of itunes, I click save and select a
> folder within that "users" file to download to. ?When i go to retrieve the
> file i downloaded it isnt there.

In your other post, you said you were clicking the "Run" choice and in
this one you are clicking the "Save" button. Here's what you said in
that post:

****
I justr attempted to download firefox and the same thing happens, the
file seems to download fine but when i go to the folder to retrieve it
it isnt there. I also made sure to save it to the desktop and that didnt
work either.

To be honest i wonder if it is even saving to my computer. When i select
the run option it goes through the motions as if its downloading but the
same thing happens, nothing after downloading.

I tried right-clicking a picture to see if i could save that and that
worked but thats it.
****

I think the fact that you are able to save to those directories when you
right-click and "Save As" is significant. This indicates to me that
there are no ownership and/or permission problems with the directories.
So here are a few more questions since I can't see your machine:

1. Was your MCE install completely virus/malware-free?
2. Do you have any add-ons in IE7? There is a menu item "manage add-ons"
where you can check.
3. When you upgraded, did you first run the Vista Upgrade Advisor? Were
any problems reported? If so, what were they and what did you do about them?
4. Did you log off and then log into the second user account and try
downloading? I can't tell from your last 2 posts whether you did this or
not. If you did, were the results the same?
5. When you upgraded, did the upgrade appear to go smoothly. Have you
had any other seemingly unrelated problems since?
6. Go to a friend's house (or work) and download Firefox from their
computer. Save the installer to a usb thumbdrive or burn to cd. Take it
back to your house and install Firefox. Now try to download something to
the Desktop. What happens?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fubm90IEZpbmQgRG93bmxvYWRlZCBGaWxlcw==?=

Re: Cannot find files
Hi, I've been having the exact same problem as you: the files seem to be
downloading but you cannot find them once they're completed. I know how
frustrating it is. The truth is there is no real way to fix it. Your only
chioce is to install Mozilla Firefox and use it instead. When you download
files using it the files are where you saved it to, no problems. The trouble
is you have no way to dowload Firefox You will need to use another
computer (a friend or family members) to download Firefox. Once you've done
this put the installation file onto a CD or USB key and copy it to your own
PC. Then install it! It works fine. I know how frustrated you must be, I was
the same lol. I had to bring my laptop to PC World and they told me it's a
problem with Vista and Internet Explorer 7. I wasn't even entitled to a
refund because there is no actual problem with the product. They told me the
problem might be fixed in future updates! I hope this helps you, Good Luck!!

You can get firefox here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/