Admin problem

ehsrulez

Admin problem
I am also having a problem with the administrative permission function. I am
the administrator and the only user of my brand new computer.

-Whenever I try to download anything to my documents folder (c:\users\owner)
I get the same "you don't have permission, contact your administrator"
message that other threads mention.
-I can download to users/public and users/nex (computer was a floor model,
this was the store's username)
-I can download to desktop/username but not desktop/username/documents
-whenever I try to modify a picture or document in c:\users\owner folder I
am informed that the file is read-only
-when I check the properties of the offending folder, read-only is marked
with a blue square
-un-setting read only to the folder or individual files does not stick, when
I close and reopen properties I get the blue square again
-I can delete and move files to and from users/owner/, I download things now
by downloading them into other folders and then moving them
-I can run programs from c:\users\owner, for example I installed quicktime
-I can create folders in users\owner but can create nothing else

-I have added full control for administrator in permissions
-I have changed the ownership to administrator
-I can make things work properly only when I turn off UAC
-I am under the assumption that the folder c:\users\owner\documents and
start menu>documents aka desktop\username\documents generally lead to the
same location and have the same properties, and everything I have mentioned
applies to both unless otherwise specified

It seems like most posts err on the side of too little information, I hope
this is sufficient...
Jimmy Brush

Re: Admin problem
Hello,

It sounds like you are not explicitly granted access to your documents
folder, so you are required to confirm your actions via UAC in order to
use your admin power to write to that location.

This is not the way it is supposed to be.

Note that in Vista, you have to go through a prompt ("Windows needs your
permission to continue") before you can use your administrators
membership. This prevents applications that you do not start from using
your admin power.

To fix, modify the security on your documents folder so that your
username is explictly granted access.

- JB
ehsrulez

Re: Admin problem
Thanks Jimmy!

Although my username was not one of the options on the permissions list, I
gave full control to "everyone" and that has fixed the problem.