Another Admin Problem

Ben Bennett

Another Admin Problem
The problem i have is that i try to uninstall programs off the computer it
keeps coming up with a message saying: "you don't have sufficient access to
unistall <program>. Please contact your system adminstrator"
However i am the adminstrator and i have read through these forums looking
for an answer but nothing proper has turned up.
The problem is not just for unistalling things it happens for other things
like it is also for deleting and installing stuff.
If any one who can help, please let me know.
Rishi

Re: Another Admin Problem
Hello,

Can you please let us know, what are the programs that are causing this
problem? Sometimes this might happen if the program is not installed
properly or if the program was not created properly by the company that made
it. Try disabling UAC and uninstalling the program again. In the case of
installing the programs, you might want to right-click on the installer go
to the compatibility tab and check that run as administrator enabled.

If you cannot use the default control panel utility to uninstall the
program, I recommend trying other third-party applications such as Your
Uninstaller 2006 (the trial version should suffice) which might help to get
rid of the program.

Hope this helps.

--
Best Regards,
Rishi

"Ben Bennett" <Ben Bennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problem i have is that i try to uninstall programs off the computer it
> keeps coming up with a message saying: "you don't have sufficient access
> unistall <program>. Please contact your system adminstrator"
> However i am the adminstrator and i have read through these forums looking
> for an answer but nothing proper has turned up.
> The problem is not just for unistalling things it happens for other things
> like it is also for deleting and installing stuff.
> If any one who can help, please let me know.

Ben Bennett

Re: Another Admin Problem
No it's not one program, i can't unistall/install any of them. I'm not sure
what is happening with the computer, i seem to be admin, since i am the only
one using this computer, but i don't seem to have administrative rights for
some reason.
I can't even save a picture to my computer, i go right click save picture as
and it comes up with access is denied.
I should mention that i got this problem after getting a virus from a flash
player download, we managed to get rid of the virus but i'm still having
trouble, please help.

"Rishi" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you please let us know, what are the programs that are causing this
> problem? Sometimes this might happen if the program is not installed
> properly or if the program was not created properly by the company that made
> it. Try disabling UAC and uninstalling the program again. In the case of
> installing the programs, you might want to right-click on the installer go
> to the compatibility tab and check that run as administrator enabled.
>
> If you cannot use the default control panel utility to uninstall the
> program, I recommend trying other third-party applications such as Your
> Uninstaller 2006 (the trial version should suffice) which might help to get
> rid of the program.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Rishi
> email: rishi@vista-news.com | web: http://vista-news.com
>

> "Ben Bennett" <Ben Bennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The problem i have is that i try to uninstall programs off the computer it
> > keeps coming up with a message saying: "you don't have sufficient access
> > unistall <program>. Please contact your system adminstrator"
> > However i am the adminstrator and i have read through these forums looking
> > for an answer but nothing proper has turned up.
> > The problem is not just for unistalling things it happens for other things
> > like it is also for deleting and installing stuff.
> > If any one who can help, please let me know.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Another Admin Problem
Ben

This is just my own opinion. Once a virus compromises a system, your best
option is to format the drive and then start completely over again.

Cleaning up after a virus attack can sometimes only get rid of the
"symptoms" and not actually repair all of the damage.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> No it's not one program, i can't unistall/install any of them. I'm not
> sure
> what is happening with the computer, i seem to be admin, since i am the
> only
> one using this computer, but i don't seem to have administrative rights
> for
> some reason.
> I can't even save a picture to my computer, i go right click save picture
> as
> and it comes up with access is denied.
> I should mention that i got this problem after getting a virus from a
> flash
> player download, we managed to get rid of the virus but i'm still having
> trouble, please help.
>
> "Rishi" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can you please let us know, what are the programs that are causing this
>> problem? Sometimes this might happen if the program is not installed
>> properly or if the program was not created properly by the company that
>> made
>> it. Try disabling UAC and uninstalling the program again. In the case of
>> installing the programs, you might want to right-click on the installer
>> go
>> to the compatibility tab and check that run as administrator enabled.
>>
>> If you cannot use the default control panel utility to uninstall the
>> program, I recommend trying other third-party applications such as Your
>> Uninstaller 2006 (the trial version should suffice) which might help to
>> get
>> rid of the program.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Rishi
>> email: rishi@vista-news.com | web: http://vista-news.com
>>

>> "Ben Bennett" <Ben Bennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The problem i have is that i try to uninstall programs off the computer
>> > it
>> > keeps coming up with a message saying: "you don't have sufficient
>> > access
>> > unistall <program>. Please contact your system adminstrator"
>> > However i am the adminstrator and i have read through these forums
>> > looking
>> > for an answer but nothing proper has turned up.
>> > The problem is not just for unistalling things it happens for other
>> > things
>> > like it is also for deleting and installing stuff.
>> > If any one who can help, please let me know.

Ben Bennett

Re: Another Admin Problem
Thanks for the advise Ronnie, i'll give that a try.
And thanks for your help to Rishi

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ben
>
> This is just my own opinion. Once a virus compromises a system, your best
> option is to format the drive and then start completely over again.
>
> Cleaning up after a virus attack can sometimes only get rid of the
> "symptoms" and not actually repair all of the damage.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Ben Bennett" <BenBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No it's not one program, i can't unistall/install any of them. I'm not
> > sure
> > what is happening with the computer, i seem to be admin, since i am the
> > only
> > one using this computer, but i don't seem to have administrative rights
> > for
> > some reason.
> > I can't even save a picture to my computer, i go right click save picture
> > as
> > and it comes up with access is denied.
> > I should mention that i got this problem after getting a virus from a
> > flash
> > player download, we managed to get rid of the virus but i'm still having
> > trouble, please help.
> >
> > "Rishi" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Can you please let us know, what are the programs that are causing this
> >> problem? Sometimes this might happen if the program is not installed
> >> properly or if the program was not created properly by the company that
> >> made
> >> it. Try disabling UAC and uninstalling the program again. In the case of
> >> installing the programs, you might want to right-click on the installer
> >> go
> >> to the compatibility tab and check that run as administrator enabled.
> >>
> >> If you cannot use the default control panel utility to uninstall the
> >> program, I recommend trying other third-party applications such as Your
> >> Uninstaller 2006 (the trial version should suffice) which might help to
> >> get
> >> rid of the program.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Rishi
> >> email: rishi@vista-news.com | web: http://vista-news.com

Rishi

Re: Another Admin Problem
Hello Ben,

You might also want to try and create a new administrator account and try to
delete or remove programs from that account, as infection might have
affected only your account. So many viruses on the Internet it is hard to
pinpoint which virus has actually affected your computer. And although, like
Ronnie mentioned the only way to get rid of the virus infection completely
is to format the drive and start all over again. But the downside to it, is
that it might just take too long. And there is no guarantee that you might
get another virus again. So I recommend just trying to fight off the virus
first (just to see if there is another way to get rid of the problems
completely) and then formatting the drive as the last resort.

--

> Thanks for the advise Ronnie, i'll give that a try.
> And thanks for your help to Rishi
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ben
>>
>> This is just my own opinion. Once a virus compromises a system, your best
>> option is to format the drive and then start completely over again.
>>
>> Cleaning up after a virus attack can sometimes only get rid of the
>> "symptoms" and not actually repair all of the damage.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Ben Bennett" <BenBennett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No it's not one program, i can't unistall/install any of them. I'm not
>> > sure
>> > what is happening with the computer, i seem to be admin, since i am the
>> > only
>> > one using this computer, but i don't seem to have administrative rights
>> > for
>> > some reason.
>> > I can't even save a picture to my computer, i go right click save
>> > picture
>> > as
>> > and it comes up with access is denied.
>> > I should mention that i got this problem after getting a virus from a
>> > flash
>> > player download, we managed to get rid of the virus but i'm still
>> > having
>> > trouble, please help.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Another Admin Problem
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 01:04:02 -0700, Ben Bennett

>Thanks for the advise Ronnie, i'll give that a try.

It's an irreversible process, so if you're going to "try" it, it's up
to you to maintain an Undo trail (and be sure it will work!)

>"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

>> This is just my own opinion. Once a virus compromises a system, your best
>> option is to format the drive and then start completely over again.
>> Cleaning up after a virus attack can sometimes only get rid of the
>> "symptoms" and not actually repair all of the damage.

I don't really agree with that; not because cleaning always works, but
because a default re-build doesn't always stay clean either.

I think it depends on the baseline, and with Vista as young as it is,
that baseline is probably fairly safe.

OTOH, consider an XP PC with this history:
- built with XP Gold in 2003
- HD upgraded to 200G in 2005
- installation imaged over, resized as one big 200G C:
- kept patched by automatic update
- protected by resident av, regular updates
- gets infected in 2007
- user told to "just" wipe and rebuild...

Can you guess what happens next?

See: http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:

"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"