Administrative passwords

powerray

Administrative passwords
When I try to download a program I get asked to give permission. But when I
type in the password I get a message "Destinination folder Access Denied. You
need to permission to perform this action. Then there are 2 buttons: try
again & cancel. The try again button just repeats the above message. What do
I do?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrative passwords
Powerray

What folder are you selecting to download the files?

The folder C:\Users\username\Downloads is specifically made for downloading
files and has all of the proper permissions set.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"powerray" <powerray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to download a program I get asked to give permission. But when
> type in the password I get a message "Destinination folder Access Denied.
> You
> need to permission to perform this action. Then there are 2 buttons: try
> again & cancel. The try again button just repeats the above message. What
> do
> I do?

msp

Re: Administrative passwords
Just out of curiosity Ronnie, why should you or Vista care where I want to
put my files, it is my directory system is it not? When I copied my
documents from xp to vista I transfered several "download" folders and many
picture folders to HD locations where I wanted them for my own reasons, but
with Vista it seems that I no longer have permission to look at some of those
files with out working hard at it.
For some reason Vista says that the computer I own in truth as well as with
"permissions" is not mine to set up unless I use the official system and I
must not know what I really want to do, you can only put it here or there,
why is that?
Want to share across the network, put it here. Want to download, put it
there, what do you mean you want to put it in the folder called updates
storage, you must put it in downloads and maybe I will let you move it later.
Very Restrictive and unfriendly.
MSP

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Powerray
>
> What folder are you selecting to download the files?
>
> The folder C:\Users\username\Downloads is specifically made for downloading
> files and has all of the proper permissions set.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "powerray" <powerray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to download a program I get asked to give permission. But when
> > type in the password I get a message "Destinination folder Access Denied.
> > You
> > need to permission to perform this action. Then there are 2 buttons: try
> > again & cancel. The try again button just repeats the above message. What
> > do
> > I do?

powerray

Re: Administrative passwords
I am using the download file. I went into the owner section with my current
password (I thought maybe I'd forgotten the password) and actually removed my
password, but I'm still being asked for a password and of course denied the
download because my gave the wrong password even though I deleted the
password.

Thanks

"msp" <msp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity Ronnie, why should you or Vista care where I want to
> put my files, it is my directory system is it not? When I copied my
> documents from xp to vista I transfered several "download" folders and
> many
> picture folders to HD locations where I wanted them for my own reasons,
> but
> with Vista it seems that I no longer have permission to look at some of
> those
> files with out working hard at it.
> For some reason Vista says that the computer I own in truth as well as
> with
> "permissions" is not mine to set up unless I use the official system and
> must not know what I really want to do, you can only put it here or there,
> why is that?
> Want to share across the network, put it here. Want to download, put it
> there, what do you mean you want to put it in the folder called updates
> storage, you must put it in downloads and maybe I will let you move it
> later.
> Very Restrictive and unfriendly.
> MSP

MSP

Way back in the 1960's there were an inordinate number of people dying in
automobile accidents. This resulted in an effort to make automobiles safer.
They installed:
Seat Belts
Air bags
Padding on the dashboard
Padding on the steering wheel
A collapsible steering column
Padded sun visors
Improved shatterproof glass
Child safety seats
Side impact protection
Isolated gasoline tanks
etc.

But, it is YOUR automobile, and you can rip out all of the padding, air
bags, child seats, etc, and make the automobile exactly the way you want it
to be. Toss the kids in the back seat and enjoy the ride. That'll teach GM
to mess with the way you've always done things.

Because Windows was notoriously the most insecure operating system out
there, Vista is implementing a new multi-layer security model. They have
added:
Least user privilege
UAC (Credential Consent)
Secure Desktop
DEP
Data Redirection (Virtualization)
Defender
IE Protected Mode
Improved Firewall
Service Hardening
Code Integrity
Mandatory integrity control (Application Isolation)
Data encryption
Restricted system folders
Restricted areas in the Registry (HKLM)
Resource protection
etc.

Generally, these changes were made in an effort to disable or lock down the
most common vectors that malware/hackers used to infect/access the system.

But, it is YOUR computer and you can do the same thing you could do with the
automobile, if you have the expertise, or even if you don't. You can rip
out, uninstall, or disable everything that you don't like and make it
exactly like windows was 10 years ago. If your having problems because you
moved files to a secure location, just change the ACL's and permissions on
those folders. That'll teach Microsoft to mess with the way you've always
done things.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

msp

Re: Administrative passwords
Hello Ronnie
Your answer was helpful and informative. It underscores the real attitude
of microsoft in general toward their clients. Here's a suggestion. Instead
of comments like "access Denied you don't have administrative rights" Say
what is really happening such as "The folder is no longer where you store
what you always thought you stored here, check out the help file to see what
we call it now"
And on your other point. When will the police sart ticketing us for
removing the safety devices from our computer?
It took them a few years for cars so it might take a few years for computers
but since the public is unable to take care of themselves big brother will do
it for you I guess.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> [...]

> Code Integrity
> Mandatory integrity control (Application Isolation)
> Data encryption
> Restricted system folders
> Restricted areas in the Registry (HKLM)
> Resource protection
> etc.
>
> Generally, these changes were made in an effort to disable or lock down the
> most common vectors that malware/hackers used to infect/access the system.
>
> But, it is YOUR computer and you can do the same thing you could do with the
> automobile, if you have the expertise, or even if you don't. You can rip
> out, uninstall, or disable everything that you don't like and make it
> exactly like windows was 10 years ago. If your having problems because you
> moved files to a secure location, just change the ACL's and permissions on
> those folders. That'll teach Microsoft to mess with the way you've always

powerray

Re: Administrative passwords
Hey there. Anybody home?

> Hey there. Anybody home?