Blackberry Software

DavidM

Blackberry Software
I try to install my desktop manager software and it tells me to "make sure I
have appropriate privilages on this machine", but I'm the only person using
it under the administrator. What do I do?
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Blackberry Software
David

This behavior occurs when a program is not compatible with Vista. The
problem is that the program was designed for a previous version of Windows,
such as XP. XP would allow the program to run with systemwide acess without
the user being aware of this elevation.

In Vista, even though you are running as an administrator, you are running
with standard user privileges. When a program is started that requires
administrator privileges, you need to explicitly give that program
permission to run elevated.

You can resolve this behavior by right clicking the installation file
(usually setup.exe) and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"DavidM" <DavidM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I try to install my desktop manager software and it tells me to "make sure
> have appropriate privilages on this machine", but I'm the only person
> using
> it under the administrator. What do I do?

cdblac2

Re: Blackberry Software
I'm not exactly sure on how to run a program per your instructions. I
entered the setup program, and all I got was a window with a few icons that
were entitled "setup.exe." Would you mind explaining how to specifically
address this in Vista?

Thanks--

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> David
>
> This behavior occurs when a program is not compatible with Vista. The
> problem is that the program was designed for a previous version of Windows,
> such as XP. XP would allow the program to run with systemwide acess without
> the user being aware of this elevation.
>
> In Vista, even though you are running as an administrator, you are running
> with standard user privileges. When a program is started that requires
> administrator privileges, you need to explicitly give that program
> permission to run elevated.
>
> You can resolve this behavior by right clicking the installation file
> (usually setup.exe) and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "DavidM" <DavidM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I try to install my desktop manager software and it tells me to "make sure
> > have appropriate privilages on this machine", but I'm the only person
> > using
> > it under the administrator. What do I do?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Blackberry Software
You need to right click the setup.exe file and from the popup menu, select

"cdblac2" <cdblac2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not exactly sure on how to run a program per your instructions. I
> entered the setup program, and all I got was a window with a few icons
> that
> were entitled "setup.exe." Would you mind explaining how to specifically
> address this in Vista?
>
> Thanks--
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> David
>>
>> This behavior occurs when a program is not compatible with Vista. The
>> problem is that the program was designed for a previous version of
>> Windows,
>> such as XP. XP would allow the program to run with systemwide acess
>> without
>> the user being aware of this elevation.
>>
>> In Vista, even though you are running as an administrator, you are
>> running
>> with standard user privileges. When a program is started that requires
>> administrator privileges, you need to explicitly give that program
>> permission to run elevated.
>>
>> You can resolve this behavior by right clicking the installation file
>> (usually setup.exe) and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "DavidM" <DavidM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I try to install my desktop manager software and it tells me to "make
>> >sure
>> > have appropriate privilages on this machine", but I'm the only person
>> > using
>> > it under the administrator. What do I do?

Warren

Re: Blackberry Software
I'm having the same "privilages" problem, however the blackberry software
that I'm trying to load doesn't give me the option to view the setup.exe
file. I either get to choose run or save. Run gives me the error message
and save saves the file, but then when I go to the file I only have the
option to run it. I have tried right ckicking on every inch of the pop up
boxes. HELP.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You need to right click the setup.exe file and from the popup menu, select
> the "Run As Administrator" option.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "cdblac2" <cdblac2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not exactly sure on how to run a program per your instructions. I
> > entered the setup program, and all I got was a window with a few icons
> > that
> > were entitled "setup.exe." Would you mind explaining how to specifically
> > address this in Vista?
> >
> > Thanks--
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> David
> >>
> >> This behavior occurs when a program is not compatible with Vista. The
> >> problem is that the program was designed for a previous version of
> >> Windows,
> >> such as XP. XP would allow the program to run with systemwide acess
> >> without
> >> the user being aware of this elevation.
> >>
> >> In Vista, even though you are running as an administrator, you are
> >> running
> >> with standard user privileges. When a program is started that requires
> >> administrator privileges, you need to explicitly give that program
> >> permission to run elevated.
> >>
> >> You can resolve this behavior by right clicking the installation file
> >> (usually setup.exe) and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Declan

Re: Blackberry Software
I have the same issue as Warren with a new laptop running Vista Office- I am
not presented with any setup.exe file, just run or save. When I try to
install I get the message "1: Failed to install ISKernel Files. Make sure you
have appropriate priveleges on this machine" I am the only user of this
machine. I would like to replace Vista with Windows XP Pro - how do I do this?
--
DeclanNovice