Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che

Craig

Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che
Hi,

I am having problems with Outlook 2007 failing to save passwords. I am also
running 32 bit Vista. The problem began suddenly.

I have the "remember passwords" boxes checked in my account settings. Both
"remember password" boxes are checked for the "login information" and
"outgoing server settings". So, that is not the problem.

There is a knowledge base article on this for XP and earlier versions of
Outlook.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=290684

I tried to apply the XP version of the article and I was unable to complete
it. I signed on as adminstrator. Yet, when I got to the following
steps.

6. Click Advanced. Then, verify that the user who is currently logged on is
selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that
This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with
entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
9. Click OK two times.

I clicked "replace all inheritable permissions". Then, I clicked the
"apply". This gave me a "do you wish to continue" screen. Clicking yes,
I then recieved a "registry key could not set security in the key selected or
some of its subkeys".

Unable to delete the registry settings in the article, I have reached a dead
end.

I have read that this is a bug that Microsoft cannot repair. Is this true?
And if not, what is the solution? I don't want to get a new email
program, unless I must.

Thanks.

Craig

(email: centvagentleman@yahoo.com).
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che
Craig

Found this solution in another group.

After much searching on these boards I've noticed that others were having
this problem: Outlook 2007 would not save the password for your e-mail
account.
I had the problem and noticed that many others did as well.
I have found a solution that worked for me.

Go to C:\users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Prot ect. Delete the
Protect folder and it
will eventually regenerate itself, all is well with Outlook now. All
passwords are remembered.

Let us know if this works for you.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with Outlook 2007 failing to save passwords. I am
> also
> running 32 bit Vista. The problem began suddenly.
>
> I have the "remember passwords" boxes checked in my account settings.
> Both
> "remember password" boxes are checked for the "login information" and
> "outgoing server settings". So, that is not the problem.
>
> There is a knowledge base article on this for XP and earlier versions of
> Outlook.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=290684
>
> I tried to apply the XP version of the article and I was unable to
> complete
> it. I signed on as adminstrator. Yet, when I got to the following
> steps.
>
> 6. Click Advanced. Then, verify that the user who is currently logged on
> is
> selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that
> This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
> 7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects
> with
> entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
> 8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
> 9. Click OK two times.
>
> I clicked "replace all inheritable permissions". Then, I clicked the
> "apply". This gave me a "do you wish to continue" screen. Clicking
> yes,
> I then recieved a "registry key could not set security in the key selected
> or
> some of its subkeys".
>
> Unable to delete the registry settings in the article, I have reached a
> dead
> end.
>
> I have read that this is a bug that Microsoft cannot repair. Is this true?
> And if not, what is the solution? I don't want to get a new email
> program, unless I must.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Craig
>
> (email: centvagentleman@yahoo.com).

Craig

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box

The Folders look different than the ones you gave me. I found the
AppData/Roaming folder, but only after going into the control panel, folder
options, view, and then selecting "show hidden folders". I went back and
deselected this after I was finished.

After that, I was able to see the AppData folder. The Protect folder had an
empty folder in it, but I was afraid to delete it until I get some work off
my desk (afraid of a computer crash). I hope MS could get a knowledge base
article up on this that worked in Outlook 2007 help. I think it is a way in
which the design of Outlook and Vista are working together to make a tough
problem to fix.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Craig
>
> Found this solution in another group.
>
> After much searching on these boards I've noticed that others were having
> this problem: Outlook 2007 would not save the password for your e-mail
> account.
> I had the problem and noticed that many others did as well.
> I have found a solution that worked for me.
>
> Go to C:\users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Prot ect. Delete the
> Protect folder and it
> will eventually regenerate itself, all is well with Outlook now. All
> passwords are remembered.
>
> Let us know if this works for you.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having problems with Outlook 2007 failing to save passwords. I am
> > also
> > running 32 bit Vista. The problem began suddenly.
> >
> > I have the "remember passwords" boxes checked in my account settings.
> > Both
> > "remember password" boxes are checked for the "login information" and
> > "outgoing server settings". So, that is not the problem.
> >
> > There is a knowledge base article on this for XP and earlier versions of
> > Outlook.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=290684
> >
> > I tried to apply the XP version of the article and I was unable to
> > complete
> > it. I signed on as adminstrator. Yet, when I got to the following
> > steps.
> >
> > 6. Click Advanced. Then, verify that the user who is currently logged on
> > is
> > selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that
> > This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
> > 7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects
> > with
> > entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
> > 8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
> > 9. Click OK two times.
> >
> > I clicked "replace all inheritable permissions". Then, I clicked the
> > "apply". This gave me a "do you wish to continue" screen. Clicking
> > yes,
> > I then recieved a "registry key could not set security in the key selected
> > or
> > some of its subkeys".
> >
> > Unable to delete the registry settings in the article, I have reached a
> > dead
> > end.
> >
> > I have read that this is a bug that Microsoft cannot repair. Is this true?
> > And if not, what is the solution? I don't want to get a new email
> > program, unless I must.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > (email: centvagentleman@yahoo.com).

gil.bar

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che

It worked!
Thanks a lot!

Gil

--
gil.bar
gil.bar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29033

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che
gil.bar

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"gil.bar" <gil.bar.2uxxrk@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> It worked!
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Gil
>

> --
> gil.bar
> gil.bar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29033
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=793905
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Craig

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box

Ronnie,

A word of thanks for taking the time to hunt this down. Mine is now
working as well.

Craig

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> gil.bar
>
> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "gil.bar" <gil.bar.2uxxrk@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > It worked!
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Gil
> >

> > --
> > gil.bar
> > gil.bar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29033
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=793905
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box
Craig

Your welcome. Enjoy.

--

> Ronnie,
>
> A word of thanks for taking the time to hunt this down. Mine is now
> working as well.
>

> Craig
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> gil.bar
>>
>> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "gil.bar" <gil.bar.2uxxrk@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > It worked!
>> > Thanks a lot!
>> >
>> > Gil
>> >

>> > --
>> > gil.bar
>> > gil.bar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=29033
>> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=793905
>> >
>> > http://forums.techarena.in

rodney_kranz

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che

My problem is identical to the original poster. I tried the solution
below, and it seemed to help - I get the password dialog box less
often, but it still comes up (with the correct password entered, but
without the check box selected). When it does work, I can select
"send/receive all" without a problem. I am running Vista / Outlook
2007. Any ideas anyone???

rodney_kranz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30910
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=793905

http://forums.techarena.in

jmpage2

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che

This problem just started occurring for me out the blue last night.
I've been searching and searching for a solution with no success so
far.

I have even gone as far as to create an entirely new outlook profile
and point it to my existing .PST folder and it still won't save the
mail password.

I tried the solution in this thread (deleting the mentioned folder in
appdata) and still no luck. It doesn't look like the folder has
"regenerated" either. Is deleting the folder supposed to fix the
problem immediately?

This is a most frustrating problem... especially considering what I
paid for Outlook 2007.

--
jmpage2
jmpage2's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35132
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=793905

http://forums.techarena.in

rodney_kranz

Re: Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che

Can you contact Microsoft for support for this? Actually, I can not or
would have otherwise, since my copy was purchased through a deal which
I had to agree to a license WITHOUT support. If you get a
solution, please post it!!