Windows Sidebar

Les

Windows Sidebar
Hi

When I got my Vista Ultimate several months ago, I didn't need the sidebar
so I must have disabled it at that time. Now, I have a need for it, but when
I try to run it via start->search->Windows Sidebar, it tells me that:
'Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator.'

I *am* the system administrator - even though I am running as a
less-than-fully-empowered-normal-default-administrator! If I go to the
super-duper-high-and-mighty-administrator account and try to run Sidebar
there, I get exactly the same message.

Basically, how do I get the Sidebar back again

--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Peter

Re: Windows Sidebar
Start/All programs/Accessories - should start from there.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Start/All programs/Accessories - should start from there.
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> "Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> When I got my Vista Ultimate several months ago, I didn't need the
>> sidebar
>> so I must have disabled it at that time. Now, I have a need for it, but
>> when
>> I try to run it via start->search->Windows Sidebar, it tells me that:
>> 'Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator.'
>>
>> I *am* the system administrator - even though I am running as a
>> less-than-fully-empowered-normal-default-administrator! If I go to the
>> super-duper-high-and-mighty-administrator account and try to run Sidebar
>> there, I get exactly the same message.
>>
>> Basically, how do I get the Sidebar back again
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Thanks for reply Peter.

I just get exactly the same admin message from that too.

--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Peter

Re: Windows Sidebar
I wonder what would happen if you tried the same thing signed into the
actual Admin account? If it isn't on your sign-in screen you can make it
appear.
Go to Start/All programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management allow the
UAC prompt if asked, then Local Users & groups/Users Double-click
Administrator and uncheck "Account is disabled" then switch user. Are you
sure that you haven't somehow given yourself a "Standard" rather than an
"Administrator" account?

>I wonder what would happen if you tried the same thing signed into the
>actual Admin account? If it isn't on your sign-in screen you can make it
>appear.
> Go to Start/All programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management allow
> the UAC prompt if asked, then Local Users & groups/Users Double-click
> Administrator and uncheck "Account is disabled" then switch user. Are you
> sure that you haven't somehow given yourself a "Standard" rather than an
> "Administrator" account?
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> "Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Start/All programs/Accessories - should start from there.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>> Toronto, Canada
>>> "Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks for reply Peter.
>>
>> I just get exactly the same admin message from that too.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Hi Peter

I have tried in both admin accounts - it is an unfortunate fact that MS have
seen fit to make it necessary to cause confusion over when an account is or
isn't an admin account = however, I have 3 accounts on my machine - all are
default as set up automatically on first time start of this computer.

1. Administrator - enabled and shows the same message for the Sidebar
2. Guest - disabled (I disabled it if I remember correctly)
3. My day to day account - (which is also an administrator account)

but, I believe there is a difference in administrator abilities/rights or
whatever between 1 and 3 above.

In any case, from both 1 and 3 above, I get exactly the same message when
trying to start Sidebar.

What exactly are we supposed to call a 'full' administrator versus a
'restricted' administrator as in 1 and 3 above?
--
regards,
Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Peter

Re: Windows Sidebar
Then I'm at a loss, sorry. It should be available to all users.

--
> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I wonder what would happen if you tried the same thing signed into the
>>actual Admin account? If it isn't on your sign-in screen you can make it
>>appear.
>> Go to Start/All programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management allow
>> the UAC prompt if asked, then Local Users & groups/Users Double-click
>> Administrator and uncheck "Account is disabled" then switch user. Are
>> you sure that you haven't somehow given yourself a "Standard" rather than
>> an "Administrator" account?
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> "Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Peter" <ex_brit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for reply Peter.
>>>
>>> I just get exactly the same admin message from that too.
>>>
>>> --
>>> regards,
>>> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

> Hi Peter
>
> I have tried in both admin accounts - it is an unfortunate fact that MS
> have seen fit to make it necessary to cause confusion over when an account
> is or isn't an admin account = however, I have 3 accounts on my machine -
> all are default as set up automatically on first time start of this
> computer.
>
> 1. Administrator - enabled and shows the same message for the Sidebar
> 2. Guest - disabled (I disabled it if I remember correctly)
> 3. My day to day account - (which is also an administrator account)
>
> but, I believe there is a difference in administrator abilities/rights or
> whatever between 1 and 3 above.
>
> In any case, from both 1 and 3 above, I get exactly the same message when
> trying to start Sidebar.
>
> What exactly are we supposed to call a 'full' administrator versus a
> 'restricted' administrator as in 1 and 3 above?
> --
> regards,
> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Jane C

Re: Windows Sidebar
Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator error message:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/166/1/
from MVP Ramesh
--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> When I got my Vista Ultimate several months ago, I didn't need the sidebar
> so I must have disabled it at that time. Now, I have a need for it, but
> when
> I try to run it via start->search->Windows Sidebar, it tells me that:
> 'Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator.'
>
> I *am* the system administrator - even though I am running as a
> less-than-fully-empowered-normal-default-administrator! If I go to the
> super-duper-high-and-mighty-administrator account and try to run Sidebar
> there, I get exactly the same message.
>
> Basically, how do I get the Sidebar back again
>
> --
> regards,
> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

Les

Re: Windows Sidebar
Thanks Ramesh - that sorted it - why it came to be in that state I know not.

"Jane C" <janecolman@invalid.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator error message:
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/166/1/
> from MVP Ramesh
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Les" <leshayathome@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> When I got my Vista Ultimate several months ago, I didn't need the
>> sidebar
>> so I must have disabled it at that time. Now, I have a need for it, but
>> when
>> I try to run it via start->search->Windows Sidebar, it tells me that:
>> 'Windows Sidebar is managed by your system administrator.'
>>
>> I *am* the system administrator - even though I am running as a
>> less-than-fully-empowered-normal-default-administrator! If I go to the
>> super-duper-high-and-mighty-administrator account and try to run Sidebar
>> there, I get exactly the same message.
>>
>> Basically, how do I get the Sidebar back again
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> Les Hay, Livingston, Scotland

--