when the vista basic computer starts it says temporary profile

camster

when the vista basic computer starts it says temporary profile
When I turn my computer on it says you have logged on to a temporary profile
and says not to change any settings because the will not stay when the
computer is restarted. It also says to contact your system administrator,
which is really stupid because who is my system administrator. All my
settings and files arent available to me everything has pretty much went to
default and will go to default whenever I restart. Even my favorites arent on
the computer. Also when the computer is turning on it says windows is
preparing you desktop, takes forever. Please any help on this would be
appreciated, I would just like to get my computer back to normal.

RE: when the vista basic computer starts it says temporary profile
hi there,
what I had to do, and I was working on a domain account, was log on to the
Pc as administrator - go into the registry - look for the 'corrupt' username
and remove the relevant keys where the username was mentioned. logged back
on as the user and all was fine..there has to be a simplier way of correcting
this but did not find it..

"camster" wrote:

> When I turn my computer on it says you have logged on to a temporary profile
> and says not to change any settings because the will not stay when the
> computer is restarted. It also says to contact your system administrator,
> which is really stupid because who is my system administrator. All my
> settings and files arent available to me everything has pretty much went to
> default and will go to default whenever I restart. Even my favorites arent on
> the computer. Also when the computer is turning on it says windows is
> preparing you desktop, takes forever. Please any help on this would be
> appreciated, I would just like to get my computer back to normal.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: when the vista basic computer starts it says temporary profile

You should have mentioned that this was on a domain in your first message.

Se the following article to see if this addresses the problem.

A temporary user profile is created every time that you log on to a Windows
Vista-based computer that is connected to a domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940453

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"T" <T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
> what I had to do, and I was working on a domain account, was log on to the
> Pc as administrator - go into the registry - look for the 'corrupt'
> username
> and remove the relevant keys where the username was mentioned. logged
> back
> on as the user and all was fine..there has to be a simplier way of
> correcting
> this but did not find it..
>

> "camster" wrote:
>
>> When I turn my computer on it says you have logged on to a temporary
>> profile
>> and says not to change any settings because the will not stay when the
>> computer is restarted. It also says to contact your system administrator,
>> which is really stupid because who is my system administrator. All my
>> settings and files arent available to me everything has pretty much went
>> default and will go to default whenever I restart. Even my favorites
>> arent on
>> the computer. Also when the computer is turning on it says windows is
>> preparing you desktop, takes forever. Please any help on this would be
>> appreciated, I would just like to get my computer back to normal.

camster

RE: when the vista basic computer starts it says temporary profile
Well I recently bought the computer with windows vista already on it. One day
it just locked up and I turned it back on and it logged me into a temporary
profile. All I want to do is get back into my original profile. I have made a
new one but still am unable to get it to the old one. What do you mean by a
domain?