Accessing password-protected My Documents folders on old hard driv

encj

Accessing password-protected My Documents folders on old hard driv
My old hard drive kept having corrupted file errors in the System32
directory, so Windows wouldn't boot. However, the rest of the files on that
drive were still accessible when the hard drive was put into another
computer.

I now have a new computer with Vista, and installed my old hard drive as a
secondary hard drive on the new computer. I'm trying to move all the "my
documents" files over, but I can't access them since those user accounts had
been password-protected. I can access other folders just fine.

How can I get access to those folders so I can bring them onto the new hard
drive when I can't go back and log into those accounts and remove the
passwords?

Thanks.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Accessing password-protected My Documents folders on old hard driv
Hello,

what do you mean by password protected? That you owned the folder as a user
with password?
Then right-click that folder and click Properties -> tab "Security" ->
Advanced -> Owner -> Edit -> and select your user on the Vista machine.
Then, if still necessary, go to the tab "Security" and add your Vista user
name and give all permissions to it.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"encj" <encj@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> My old hard drive kept having corrupted file errors in the System32
> directory, so Windows wouldn't boot. However, the rest of the files on
> that
> drive were still accessible when the hard drive was put into another
> computer.
>
> I now have a new computer with Vista, and installed my old hard drive as a
> secondary hard drive on the new computer. I'm trying to move all the "my
> documents" files over, but I can't access them since those user accounts
> had
> been password-protected. I can access other folders just fine.
>
> How can I get access to those folders so I can bring them onto the new
> hard
> drive when I can't go back and log into those accounts and remove the
> passwords?
>
> Thanks.

encj

Re: Accessing password-protected My Documents folders on old hard
That would probably work -- but for some reason, before I got your reply,
they just started working for me. I don't know what I did, but thanks for
the reply.