Cannot change AD password using Vista, XP fine.

Kevin M

Cannot change AD password using Vista, XP fine.
I have 2003 AD with mainly Vista but some XP PC's. Since deploying Vista any
user that has had to change their password gets: "username or password is
incorrect", even domain admins. Doing the same on an XP machine password
changes fine so not an account issue.

Any ideas on where to look would be great, password complexity etc is off.

Using domain\username it displays and have tried changing to username@domain.

Is this a Vista translation thing or a GPO setting I'm missing?
Sam

RE: Cannot change AD password using Vista, XP fine.
On the password change screen, does the first box have the domain\username or
just the username?

"Kevin M" wrote:

> I have 2003 AD with mainly Vista but some XP PC's. Since deploying Vista any
> user that has had to change their password gets: "username or password is
> incorrect", even domain admins. Doing the same on an XP machine password
> changes fine so not an account issue.
>
> Any ideas on where to look would be great, password complexity etc is off.
>
> Using domain\username it displays and have tried changing to username@domain.
>
> Is this a Vista translation thing or a GPO setting I'm missing?

Kevin M

RE: Cannot change AD password using Vista, XP fine.
Yes, it has domain\username. Does Vista send over details in different format?

"Sam" wrote:

> On the password change screen, does the first box have the domain\username or
> just the username?
>
> "Kevin M" wrote:
>
> > I have 2003 AD with mainly Vista but some XP PC's. Since deploying Vista any
> > user that has had to change their password gets: "username or password is
> > incorrect", even domain admins. Doing the same on an XP machine password
> > changes fine so not an account issue.
> >
> > Any ideas on where to look would be great, password complexity etc is off.
> >
> > Using domain\username it displays and have tried changing to username@domain.
> >
> > Is this a Vista translation thing or a GPO setting I'm missing?

Sam

RE: Cannot change AD password using Vista, XP fine.
I guess you could check the "Network security: LAN Manager authentication
level" setting in group policy and compare this with the XP clients and the
domain controller settings. I had to change this setting when I was testing
Vista and an NT domain, but you should not have to change the defaults with
AD.