Desktop icon removal

Jack McGuigan

Desktop icon removal
This is a MS/Vista problem. I just uninstalled software and the icon
shortcut was left on the desktop. I tried to drag the icon to the recycle
bin, and I tried to right click/delete it. Both result in the same problem
condition, "Item not found", "Could not find this item. This item is no
longer found in..........". How do I get rid of the desktop icon?
Thanks.
--
Jack McGuigan
Sam

RE: Desktop icon removal
Try deleting the link from the command line. At a command prompt go to
c:\users\"account name"\desktop\. Look for the .lnk file and try deleting it
there.

"Jack McGuigan" wrote:

> This is a MS/Vista problem. I just uninstalled software and the icon
> shortcut was left on the desktop. I tried to drag the icon to the recycle
> bin, and I tried to right click/delete it. Both result in the same problem
> condition, "Item not found", "Could not find this item. This item is no
> longer found in..........". How do I get rid of the desktop icon?
> Thanks.
> --
> Jack McGuigan

Jack McGuigan

RE: Desktop icon removal
Sorry Sam, this isn't the answer. The .lnk file is not there to delete.
That's the true problem associated with the icon. The icon is still pointing
to the .lnk file.
Thanks.
--
Jack McGuigan

"Sam" wrote:

> Try deleting the link from the command line. At a command prompt go to
> c:\users\"account name"\desktop\. Look for the .lnk file and try deleting it
> there.
>
> "Jack McGuigan" wrote:
>
> > This is a MS/Vista problem. I just uninstalled software and the icon
> > shortcut was left on the desktop. I tried to drag the icon to the recycle
> > bin, and I tried to right click/delete it. Both result in the same problem
> > condition, "Item not found", "Could not find this item. This item is no
> > longer found in..........". How do I get rid of the desktop icon?
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Jack McGuigan

Sam

RE: Desktop icon removal
Do you get a similar message when you right click on the icon and look at the
properties?

"Jack McGuigan" wrote:

> Sorry Sam, this isn't the answer. The .lnk file is not there to delete.
> That's the true problem associated with the icon. The icon is still pointing
> to the .lnk file.
> Thanks.
> --
> Jack McGuigan
>

> "Sam" wrote:
>
> > Try deleting the link from the command line. At a command prompt go to
> > c:\users\"account name"\desktop\. Look for the .lnk file and try deleting it
> > there.
> >
> > "Jack McGuigan" wrote:
> >
> > > This is a MS/Vista problem. I just uninstalled software and the icon
> > > shortcut was left on the desktop. I tried to drag the icon to the recycle
> > > bin, and I tried to right click/delete it. Both result in the same problem
> > > condition, "Item not found", "Could not find this item. This item is no
> > > longer found in..........". How do I get rid of the desktop icon?
> > > Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Jack McGuigan

Jane C

Re: Desktop icon removal
Hello Jack,

Right-click on your Desktop and select 'Refresh'. The offending icon should
then be gone.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jack McGuigan" <JackMcGuigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a MS/Vista problem. I just uninstalled software and the icon
> shortcut was left on the desktop. I tried to drag the icon to the recycle
> bin, and I tried to right click/delete it. Both result in the same
> problem
> condition, "Item not found", "Could not find this item. This item is no
> longer found in..........". How do I get rid of the desktop icon?
> Thanks.
> --
> Jack McGuigan

denn