Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Other user accounts can access my files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2007
ALP
 

Posts: n/a
Other user accounts can access my files
When I first got my computer, it made me configure an account, which has a
name I gave it, and is also the administrator account.
I wanted to create an account for guest users (kids), which I can monitor
with parental controls and also won't allow them to access my files.
So I created a new account, which I gave a name to, and the computer calls a
standard account.
My problem is that even though this account has its own desktop, etc., but
if this user opens the C drive, clicks "users", and then clicks on my
(administrator) user name, it allows him to see what documents and files I
have.
How can I ensure that my (administrator) files and documents remain hiiden
to this other user?
Please help, thanks alot.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2007
ALP
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Other user accounts can access my files
Allow me to clarify a little more.
While this user is in the account I created for him, if he opens the C
drive, and then clicks "users", and then clicks on the default guest account
(created by Vista), it won't open, and he'll get a request for administrator
password in order to continue.
Yet, when he clicks on my account, which is an administrator account, he can
enter and see my files and documents.
How can this be that the default guest account is more protected than the
administrator account?


"ALP" wrote:

> When I first got my computer, it made me configure an account, which has a
> name I gave it, and is also the administrator account.
> I wanted to create an account for guest users (kids), which I can monitor
> with parental controls and also won't allow them to access my files.
> So I created a new account, which I gave a name to, and the computer calls a
> standard account.
> My problem is that even though this account has its own desktop, etc., but
> if this user opens the C drive, clicks "users", and then clicks on my
> (administrator) user name, it allows him to see what documents and files I
> have.
> How can I ensure that my (administrator) files and documents remain hiiden
> to this other user?
> Please help, thanks alot.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2007
P. Di Stolfo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Other user accounts can access my files
Hello,

make sure that your kids' account has no rights to access your Documents.
Right-click your folder in C:\Users. Click Properties -> tab "Security". Now
add your kids' account and deny all permissions. Your account should have
full permissions.

Please report if this worked.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ALP" <ALP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:E4BECAFF-1E59-43E9-A8D3-EA1BB025C087@microsoft.com...
> Allow me to clarify a little more.
> While this user is in the account I created for him, if he opens the C
> drive, and then clicks "users", and then clicks on the default guest
> account
> (created by Vista), it won't open, and he'll get a request for
> administrator
> password in order to continue.
> Yet, when he clicks on my account, which is an administrator account, he
> can
> enter and see my files and documents.
> How can this be that the default guest account is more protected than the
> administrator account?
>
>
> "ALP" wrote:
>
>> When I first got my computer, it made me configure an account, which has
>> a
>> name I gave it, and is also the administrator account.
>> I wanted to create an account for guest users (kids), which I can monitor
>> with parental controls and also won't allow them to access my files.
>> So I created a new account, which I gave a name to, and the computer
>> calls a
>> standard account.
>> My problem is that even though this account has its own desktop, etc.,
>> but
>> if this user opens the C drive, clicks "users", and then clicks on my
>> (administrator) user name, it allows him to see what documents and files
>> I
>> have.
>> How can I ensure that my (administrator) files and documents remain
>> hiiden
>> to this other user?
>> Please help, thanks alot.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2007
ALP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Other user accounts can access my files
P. Di Stolfo,

I did what you said to do.
Under the "security" tab, I clicked on the kids account to highlight it, and
then under "read & execute", "list folder contents", and "read", I checked
"deny" instead of "allow".
Now the kids account can not see my files and folder.
Thanks alot!!!!

One thing still bugs me; why is the Windows Vista guest account defaulted to
be blocked from other user accounts, but not the administrater account?
It should be automatic that when creating a new user account, that new user
is blocked from seeing the adminisrator's files, WITHOUT having to manually
click deny under the security tab.

Once again thanks a million, and have a nice day.


"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> make sure that your kids' account has no rights to access your Documents.
> Right-click your folder in C:\Users. Click Properties -> tab "Security". Now
> add your kids' account and deny all permissions. Your account should have
> full permissions.
>
> Please report if this worked.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "ALP" <ALP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:E4BECAFF-1E59-43E9-A8D3-EA1BB025C087@microsoft.com...
> > Allow me to clarify a little more.
> > While this user is in the account I created for him, if he opens the C
> > drive, and then clicks "users", and then clicks on the default guest
> > account
> > (created by Vista), it won't open, and he'll get a request for
> > administrator
> > password in order to continue.
> > Yet, when he clicks on my account, which is an administrator account, he
> > can
> > enter and see my files and documents.
> > How can this be that the default guest account is more protected than the
> > administrator account?
> >
> >
> > "ALP" wrote:
> >
> >> When I first got my computer, it made me configure an account, which has
> >> a
> >> name I gave it, and is also the administrator account.
> >> I wanted to create an account for guest users (kids), which I can monitor
> >> with parental controls and also won't allow them to access my files.
> >> So I created a new account, which I gave a name to, and the computer
> >> calls a
> >> standard account.
> >> My problem is that even though this account has its own desktop, etc.,
> >> but
> >> if this user opens the C drive, clicks "users", and then clicks on my
> >> (administrator) user name, it allows him to see what documents and files
> >> I
> >> have.
> >> How can I ensure that my (administrator) files and documents remain
> >> hiiden
> >> to this other user?
> >> Please help, thanks alot.

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2007
P. Di Stolfo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Other user accounts can access my files
Hello,

I'm glad that I could help you. You're welcome.
With the administrator account permissions, I have no idea why it is
configured that way on your computer. When I create a new account, it is
usually automatically not permitted to access the other users' files. It's
very weird that it is not that way for you. I really have no idea.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ALP" <ALP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:86E72429-1470-4182-918F-1C277D54EB2E@microsoft.com...
> P. Di Stolfo,
>
> I did what you said to do.
> Under the "security" tab, I clicked on the kids account to highlight it,
> and
> then under "read & execute", "list folder contents", and "read", I checked
> "deny" instead of "allow".
> Now the kids account can not see my files and folder.
> Thanks alot!!!!
>
> One thing still bugs me; why is the Windows Vista guest account defaulted
> to
> be blocked from other user accounts, but not the administrater account?
> It should be automatic that when creating a new user account, that new
> user
> is blocked from seeing the adminisrator's files, WITHOUT having to
> manually
> click deny under the security tab.
>
> Once again thanks a million, and have a nice day.
>
>
> "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> make sure that your kids' account has no rights to access your Documents.
>> Right-click your folder in C:\Users. Click Properties -> tab "Security".
>> Now
>> add your kids' account and deny all permissions. Your account should have
>> full permissions.
>>
>> Please report if this worked.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> P. Di Stolfo
>>
>> --
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "ALP" <ALP@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:E4BECAFF-1E59-43E9-A8D3-EA1BB025C087@microsoft.com...
>> > Allow me to clarify a little more.
>> > While this user is in the account I created for him, if he opens the C
>> > drive, and then clicks "users", and then clicks on the default guest
>> > account
>> > (created by Vista), it won't open, and he'll get a request for
>> > administrator
>> > password in order to continue.
>> > Yet, when he clicks on my account, which is an administrator account,
>> > he
>> > can
>> > enter and see my files and documents.
>> > How can this be that the default guest account is more protected than
>> > the
>> > administrator account?
>> >
>> >
>> > "ALP" wrote:
>> >
>> >> When I first got my computer, it made me configure an account, which
>> >> has
>> >> a
>> >> name I gave it, and is also the administrator account.
>> >> I wanted to create an account for guest users (kids), which I can
>> >> monitor
>> >> with parental controls and also won't allow them to access my files.
>> >> So I created a new account, which I gave a name to, and the computer
>> >> calls a
>> >> standard account.
>> >> My problem is that even though this account has its own desktop, etc.,
>> >> but
>> >> if this user opens the C drive, clicks "users", and then clicks on my
>> >> (administrator) user name, it allows him to see what documents and
>> >> files
>> >> I
>> >> have.
>> >> How can I ensure that my (administrator) files and documents remain
>> >> hiiden
>> >> to this other user?
>> >> Please help, thanks alot.

>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing files between user accounts (Vista) EazyB microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 3 06-28-2007 01:07
Re: User Accounts PA Bear microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 06-10-2007 23:39
Standard user accounts can access files of other accounts??!! Ralf microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 06-04-2007 11:53
User Accounts barry76 microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 05-07-2007 19:45
Cant see user Accounts Devin Somerton microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 04-01-2007 03:14




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:56.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120