Hiding the administrator account

Nache

Hiding the administrator account
I heard it suggested to make a standard account to use, instead of using the
administrator account all the time, so i did so. I don't mind it. it's not
bad. but now I only use that account to type in the passowrd when i need to
make a change to something. Is there a way to hide that account, so it's not
listed on the welcome screen when I boot up my computer, like the way
"Administrator" was hidden in XP until you needed to boot in Safe mode for
whatever reason. Is there a way I can do that in Vista with the
administrator account I made when I first got Vista (currently called
"Nache")?

Much Thanx,
Nathan
kuan wai

RE: Hiding the administrator account
When you install Vista, you are required to create a new account. This new
account will be part of the Administrators group. The original Administrator
account is disabled by default.

So unless you have created a new account with the name "Administrator", the
actual Administrator Account will not be shown.

"Nache" wrote:

> I heard it suggested to make a standard account to use, instead of using the
> administrator account all the time, so i did so. I don't mind it. it's not
> bad. but now I only use that account to type in the passowrd when i need to
> make a change to something. Is there a way to hide that account, so it's not
> listed on the welcome screen when I boot up my computer, like the way
> "Administrator" was hidden in XP until you needed to boot in Safe mode for
> whatever reason. Is there a way I can do that in Vista with the
> administrator account I made when I first got Vista (currently called
> "Nache")?
>
> Much Thanx,
> Nathan

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Hiding the administrator account
Nathan

No, do not hide this account!

If you hide the only visible administrator account, you will no longer be
able to elevate programs with administrator privileges or do anything that
requires administrator power. You will effectively lock yourself out of the
system.

Put another way, with this account hidden, it will no longer be available to
use for elevating programs to administrator status, because it is hidden. In
fact you will not even be able to unhide this account, because this takes
administrator privileges to perform.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP