Backups in Vista - getting big?

TallMikey

Backups in Vista - getting big?
Hello, I have some desktops doing schedule Vista (biz edition) daily backups.
I believe that Vista will backup everything that you want the first time,
and then what ever you have changed subsequently. The problem is, won't that
take a ton of disk space? If a user has a 2 GB .PST for mail, and they use
it every day, it will take 2GB backup space (ok it may be compressed
somewhat) but still that will use up all of my backup space and make
administration quite difficult.

Any best practices suggestions?
-Mike
usasma

RE: Backups in Vista - getting big?
Yes, cumulative backups can take up a whole bunch of disk space. If you're
interested in a program that will limit the backups automatically, you'll
likely have to explore a 3rd party solution. I used to use SyncBackSE for
this, but haven't been able to locate the appropriate commands in the latest
version to perform "recurring" backups based on "day of week" or "date of
month" - resulting in a bit of housecleaning each month to delete the
unneeded backups.

- John

"TallMikey" wrote:

> Hello, I have some desktops doing schedule Vista (biz edition) daily backups.
> I believe that Vista will backup everything that you want the first time,
> and then what ever you have changed subsequently. The problem is, won't that
> take a ton of disk space? If a user has a 2 GB .PST for mail, and they use
> it every day, it will take 2GB backup space (ok it may be compressed
> somewhat) but still that will use up all of my backup space and make
> administration quite difficult.
>
> Any best practices suggestions?
> -Mike

TallMikey

RE: Backups in Vista - getting big?
Thanks John. Do you know ifyou can manually get the size down? For example
if I go in there once a month and just delete the last few weeks backups if
Vista is smart enough to back those files up again? There are zip files
there and catalog files which obviously only backup what's changed, but I am
not sure how smart the program is.

Actuallywhat I woudl like to do is just back up "My Documents" every night
with a straight copy.

Thx
Mike