Power Button

Jake010403

Power Button
Hi,

Recently the power button on the start menu has disappeared !! I can only
log off and then select the power button and shut down that way. Where has my
power button gone ?!? Is it something to do with power mode ? Help !
Jimmy Brush

Re: Power Button
Jake010403 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently the power button on the start menu has disappeared !! I can only
> log off and then select the power button and shut down that way. Where has my
> power button gone ?!? Is it something to do with power mode ? Help !

Hello,

This sounds like a group policy setting has been enabled that hides the
power button.

- Are you on a domain?
- What edition of Vista are you using?

If you're on a domain, your network administrator has turned off your
power button. Bug them about it.

If you're NOT on a domain, then either you or some program running on
your computer has turned off your power button.

If you have left UAC turned on (smart choice), then it must have been a
program that asked you for permission ("Windows needs your permission to
continue") that did it. If you remember a program asking for your
permission around the same time your power button disappeared, that's
most likely the culprit.

To turn your power button back on:

If using Vista business, enterprise, or ultimate:

- Click start
- Type: gpedit.msc
- Press enter
- Under user configuration, expand Administrative Tools
- Click on start menu and taskbar
- double-click "Remove and prevent access to the Shutdown, Restart, ..."
entry
- Click Disabled
- Click OK

If using any other edition:

*** WARNING Modifying the registry is dangerous if done improperly.

- Click start
- Type: regedit
- Press enter
- In the left, browse to the following location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
- Make sure you have the 'explorer' folder selected in the left
- In the right, find the option named 'NoClose'
- Right-click NoClose and click delete
- Log off and log back on

- JB
Jake010403

Re: Power Button
JB,

The second option worked fine. Thanks heaps !

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Jake010403 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently the power button on the start menu has disappeared !! I can only
> > log off and then select the power button and shut down that way. Where has my
> > power button gone ?!? Is it something to do with power mode ? Help !

> Hello,
>
> This sounds like a group policy setting has been enabled that hides the
> power button.
>
> - Are you on a domain?
> - What edition of Vista are you using?
>
> If you're on a domain, your network administrator has turned off your
> power button. Bug them about it.
>
> If you're NOT on a domain, then either you or some program running on
> your computer has turned off your power button.
>
> If you have left UAC turned on (smart choice), then it must have been a
> program that asked you for permission ("Windows needs your permission to
> continue") that did it. If you remember a program asking for your
> permission around the same time your power button disappeared, that's
> most likely the culprit.
>
> To turn your power button back on:
>
> If using Vista business, enterprise, or ultimate:
>
> - Click start
> - Type: gpedit.msc
> - Press enter
> - Under user configuration, expand Administrative Tools
> - Click on start menu and taskbar
> - double-click "Remove and prevent access to the Shutdown, Restart, ..."
> entry
> - Click Disabled
> - Click OK
>
> If using any other edition:
>
> *** WARNING Modifying the registry is dangerous if done improperly.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: regedit
> - Press enter
> - In the left, browse to the following location:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
> - Make sure you have the 'explorer' folder selected in the left
> - In the right, find the option named 'NoClose'
> - Right-click NoClose and click delete
> - Log off and log back on
>
> - JB

Jimmy Brush

Re: Power Button
You're welcome

- JB
luyano320

RE: Power Button
That happens to me , please let me know what did you do. Thanks

"Jake010403" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently the power button on the start menu has disappeared !! I can only
> log off and then select the power button and shut down that way. Where has my
> power button gone ?!? Is it something to do with power mode ? Help !

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Power Button
Luyano

Here is a fix for this problem originally posted by MVP Jimmy Brush.

[...]

- Type: regedit.exe

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP