Administration block when installing from CD

Alan

Administration block when installing from CD
Hi,

I'm trying to set up broadband at home on my mums new laptop (Windows
Vista). I've popped the CD into the drive and I'm getting told I have to be
logged in as administrator, strange I thought as the account I'd set up for
her already had admin rights. So I decided to right click and run as admin,
unfortunately the 'run as admin' option didn't appear in the list!!

I'm stumped and annoyed after several hours of trying to sort this out!
Nothing in the manual either..
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administration block when installing from CD
Alan

What are you right clicking on?

When you insert the CD, if the program auto starts, click exit. Open Windows
Explorer and click on the CD drive. There should be a file there called
setup.exe, install.exe, or something similar. Right click that file and you
should see the run as administrator option.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up broadband at home on my mums new laptop (Windows
> Vista). I've popped the CD into the drive and I'm getting told I have to
> be
> logged in as administrator, strange I thought as the account I'd set up
> for
> her already had admin rights. So I decided to right click and run as
> admin,
> unfortunately the 'run as admin' option didn't appear in the list!!
>
> I'm stumped and annoyed after several hours of trying to sort this out!
> Nothing in the manual either..

arindam_km

RE: Administration block when installing from CD

hi alan how r u u did awsome job u resolve mine issue last time mailed
thanks a lot
arindam_km

Re: Administration block when installing from CD

hi ronnie wats doing well i was waitying for u r reply i called up last tiome
Alan

Re: Administration block when installing from CD
Ronnie,

That was the problem. I was right clicking on the CD and not the .exe. file
itself "D'oh!"... The CD now runs fine. Thanks for your help.

Alan Thornton

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Alan
>
> What are you right clicking on?
>
> When you insert the CD, if the program auto starts, click exit. Open Windows
> Explorer and click on the CD drive. There should be a file there called
> setup.exe, install.exe, or something similar. Right click that file and you
> should see the run as administrator option.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to set up broadband at home on my mums new laptop (Windows
> > Vista). I've popped the CD into the drive and I'm getting told I have to
> > be
> > logged in as administrator, strange I thought as the account I'd set up
> > for
> > her already had admin rights. So I decided to right click and run as
> > admin,
> > unfortunately the 'run as admin' option didn't appear in the list!!
> >
> > I'm stumped and annoyed after several hours of trying to sort this out!
> > Nothing in the manual either..

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administration block when installing from CD
Alan

Great! Glad you got it sorted.

--

> Ronnie,
>
> That was the problem. I was right clicking on the CD and not the .exe.
> file
> itself "D'oh!"... The CD now runs fine. Thanks for your help.
>
> Alan Thornton
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Alan
>>
>> What are you right clicking on?
>>
>> When you insert the CD, if the program auto starts, click exit. Open
>> Windows
>> Explorer and click on the CD drive. There should be a file there called
>> setup.exe, install.exe, or something similar. Right click that file and
>> you
>> should see the run as administrator option.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to set up broadband at home on my mums new laptop (Windows
>> > Vista). I've popped the CD into the drive and I'm getting told I have
>> > be
>> > logged in as administrator, strange I thought as the account I'd set up
>> > for
>> > her already had admin rights. So I decided to right click and run as
>> > admin,
>> > unfortunately the 'run as admin' option didn't appear in the list!!
>> >
>> > I'm stumped and annoyed after several hours of trying to sort this out!
>> > Nothing in the manual either..

Scott

RE: Administration block when installing from CD and default programs
I am having a similar prob with most programs. I ahve tried everything I
know. It says when I try to make things default or install things it "cannot
be run as administrator" (you need admin privileges to run this progam). Or
in the case of changing the default program it says "I am no the
administrator or power user". I have tried running as adminstrator but that
does mot work either. It is getting me really peaved (and other expletives)
when noone seems to want to help, without money grabbing and i cant install
programs especially my printer!!!! I am not a computer dummy but this has got
me stumped....please help!?!?!