user account hacked

scumette

user account hacked
I have 3 user accounts, excluding the guest account and over the past few
weeks, pop ups, a slow computer, task manager, and the alt+ctrl+delete
stopped working. Every time i try to access the task manager or change a
setting, screen pops up that says the computer administrator has denied it or
something like that....I thought I was the only administrator but going into
safe mode, i found that there's an administrators account that was set up
without my knowledge. I think my computer's been hacked. How can i get rid of
it?!?!?
wardy_uk1

Re: user account hacked
No your user account hasn't been hacked. Its the UAC (User Account Control)
that Vista use's. When you boot up Vista you are logged on as a normal user
this way any malware or any other nasties that try to change anything is
automaticaly blocked due to the user having restrictions.

Alan

"scumette" <scumette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 user accounts, excluding the guest account and over the past few
> weeks, pop ups, a slow computer, task manager, and the alt+ctrl+delete
> stopped working. Every time i try to access the task manager or change a
> setting, screen pops up that says the computer administrator has denied it
> or
> something like that....I thought I was the only administrator but going
> into
> safe mode, i found that there's an administrators account that was set up
> without my knowledge. I think my computer's been hacked. How can i get rid
> of
> it?!?!?

WJones

Re: user account hacked
To be more specific, the Administrator account you are used to seeing in
previous Microsoft OS's is within Vista. However, it is disabled by default
( a first for Microsoft ) and the account you created during installation is
in the administrators group. Hence, no need to log on as admin ( a best
practice anyway). So the account you are seeing is not a 'hack'. Go to
Reliability and performance monitor, then choose reliability monitor and see
if you can determine based on the graph when your machine started performing
poorly. Use that data to decide if maybe you can see which event started the
downturn.
--
Technical Consultant and Trainer