Moving User Accounts/Profiles

D.Thornton

Moving User Accounts/Profiles
In a nutshell, I want everything in the C:\Users (All Users, Default, Default
User, Public, etc…) data migrated to a new location permanently; and all new
user accounts/profiles to be created there. I’m not just looking to do a
simply copy/move.

Is there an easy (or hard) method to do this? Can't seem to find the right
setting and Vista's Registry doesn't seem to be as easy to mod as XPs was.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Moving User Accounts/Profiles
It might be easier if we new what you have in mind to do. Are you trying to
just save those folders for a backup and you want to get rid of all the old
user accounts and create new user accounts?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"D.Thornton" <DThornton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In a nutshell, I want everything in the C:\Users (All Users, Default,
> User, Public, etc…) data migrated to a new location permanently; and all
> new
> user accounts/profiles to be created there. I’m not just looking to do a
> simply copy/move.
>
> Is there an easy (or hard) method to do this? Can't seem to find the
> right
> setting and Vista's Registry doesn't seem to be as easy to mod as XPs was.

D.Thornton

Re: Moving User Accounts/Profiles
Sorry thought I was clear.
First, let me start by saying am not looking to back the data up. And I’m
not looking just to copy it to a new location for redundancy. I am looking
to move all directories under C:\Users to a new location and have Windows
Vista point to that as the permanent Users directory. Now I managed to get
all my existing user accounts moved by modifying the registry to point to my
new location (say for example Z:\Users\). This part is no problem if not
time consuming. I would have used the User Profiles tab under Advanced
System Properties to move the users profiles, but I notice this does not move
the users AppData, it just moves for all intents and purposes the My
Documents data. It seems to be nothing more than folder redirection. And I
want all the data to be stored in the new location. Furthermore, when I
create a new user account, I want Windows to automatically create my new user
account in Z:\Users\ for example, not in C:\Users\. I want it to do this
automatically without having to manually copy the account to my new location
and modifying the registry for each and every account.

That being said I also want the All Users information as well as all Default
and Public data directories moved to the new locations under Z:\Users\. I
ran into a problem with Users\Public when I tried to move it. I moved the
data and reset the keys to point to my new location under Z:\Users\, but
every time I rebooted and logged back in I notice that new C:\User\Public\
keys had been created in the registry and that the modified public directory
was not being used. Mind you the three sets of Z:\Users\Public key I created
were all still there. Vista just created a new C:\ key. I have not solved
this problem or the problem with having Windows Vista automatically create my
new user account in Z:\Users\ instead of in C:\Users\. So at this point I
haven’t moved on to tackling the problem of “All Users”, it’s kind of
annoying that it’s been moved out of the Users Directory. That made it so
much easier to mod an XP box.

Did I leave anything out? Oh, why am I doing this? The first and foremost
reason is that I have assigned 20 Gigs to my OS partition. And because of
what seems to be a far to bloated Vista load (I thought XP was bad) and
C:\Users\ what little space I have left, 5GB or so is running out. With the
installation of software and all the common files and what not my race to the
limit of my partition isn’t slowing down. I’d like some room to breathe, so
to speak. And implementing quotas isn’t an option. The second reason is
because I just want to know how to do it. If I left anything a little vague
or ambiguous, let me know.