No write-access from Vista to files created by XP on external driv

DJB

No write-access from Vista to files created by XP on external driv
I have an NTFS formatted USB external hard-drive, which from an XP machine I
have written files to. Now connecting this drive to a Vista Home Premium
machine, I can read all of the files, but have no write-access to them.

I am logged-in as an administrator to Vista, and if I look at the files (or
hard drive itself) with Properties->Security, it says that Administrators
have full control, and Users only have execute, list and read access. So - it
looks as though Vista is treating me as a user, whereas I am definitely an
administrator!

This sounds like it would be a common problem, and apologies if it's already
been answered - but I've searched quite hard and not found it mentioned.

Thanks
P. Di Stolfo

Re: No write-access from Vista to files created by XP on external driv
Hello,

as far as I can see, your user account is both an Administrator and a user
account. So both permission rules would apply to you. The deny rules,
though, take precedence over allow rules, and therefore, you as an
administrative user don't have access.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

"DJB" <DJB@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have an NTFS formatted USB external hard-drive, which from an XP machine
> have written files to. Now connecting this drive to a Vista Home Premium
> machine, I can read all of the files, but have no write-access to them.
>
> I am logged-in as an administrator to Vista, and if I look at the files
> (or
> hard drive itself) with Properties->Security, it says that Administrators
> have full control, and Users only have execute, list and read access. So -
> it
> looks as though Vista is treating me as a user, whereas I am definitely an
> administrator!
>
> This sounds like it would be a common problem, and apologies if it's
> already
> been answered - but I've searched quite hard and not found it mentioned.
>
> Thanks

Jimmy Brush

DJB wrote:
> I have an NTFS formatted USB external hard-drive, which from an XP machine I
> have written files to. Now connecting this drive to a Vista Home Premium
> machine, I can read all of the files, but have no write-access to them.
>
> I am logged-in as an administrator to Vista, and if I look at the files (or
> hard drive itself) with Properties->Security, it says that Administrators
> have full control, and Users only have execute, list and read access. So - it
> looks as though Vista is treating me as a user, whereas I am definitely an
> administrator!
>
> This sounds like it would be a common problem, and apologies if it's already
> been answered - but I've searched quite hard and not found it mentioned.
>
> Thanks

Hello,

In Windows Vista, your membership in the Administrators group only takes
effect for "allow" permissions when the program you are using has asked
for your permission ("Windows needs your permission to continue").

So, in general, if you are not using a program that has asked for
permission (an administrative program), you only have access to what the
"Users" group, or you specifically, do.

In effect, if you would like access to certain files from
non-administrative programs, you will need to make sure that either the
"users" group or your specific user account is granted the appropriate
permissions.

--
-JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
DJB

Re: No write-access from Vista to files created by XP on external
Thanks very much - this solved the problem.

Cheers