Restore a user profile.

Alex

Restore a user profile.
Hi all i am trying to find out if i can restore a user profile i have deleted
by mistake any helpw would be great as i have alot of files within that user.

thanks
Spenceation

RE: Restore a user profile.
Have you created any backups? The files that you created with that user
should not be lost. Check C:\Users\(the user you deleted's name) This is the
directory that stores all this information, such as desktop and others. You
can only recover the account with a backup or system restore.

"Alex" wrote:

> Hi all i am trying to find out if i can restore a user profile i have deleted
> by mistake any helpw would be great as i have alot of files within that user.
>
> thanks

Alex

RE: Restore a user profile.
Thanks for the reply i have made no backups also when i search on my computer
all my lost files are there but i cant do anythink with them there should be
a way to get them back just like in XP my user profile is not there i hope
there is an other way to restore these.

"Spenceation" wrote:

> Have you created any backups? The files that you created with that user
> should not be lost. Check C:\Users\(the user you deleted's name) This is the
> directory that stores all this information, such as desktop and others. You
> can only recover the account with a backup or system restore.
>
> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > Hi all i am trying to find out if i can restore a user profile i have deleted
> > by mistake any helpw would be great as i have alot of files within that user.
> >
> > thanks

Spenceation

RE: Restore a user profile.
Unless you have a backup or purchase a program online that recovers deleted
profiles you can't restore it. You can recreate the account, and copy the
majority of the files over to the new accounts folder. Almost all settings
should work, even some program saved settings.

"Spenceation" wrote:

> Have you created any backups? The files that you created with that user
> should not be lost. Check C:\Users\(the user you deleted's name) This is the
> directory that stores all this information, such as desktop and others. You
> can only recover the account with a backup or system restore.
>
> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > Hi all i am trying to find out if i can restore a user profile i have deleted
> > by mistake any helpw would be great as i have alot of files within that user.
> >
> > thanks

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Restore a user profile.
Alex

If you can find the files with a search, it's likely that you have the
Volume Shadow Copy service running, you may not be able to recover the
account, but you may be able to recover the important files from that
account.

Open Windows Explorer and click the C: drive. (Assuming that C: is where
Vista is installed.) In the right side window, locate the Users Folder and
right click it. Select Properties / Previous Versions Tab.

Select the latest version of the Users folder and click Open. A Windows
Explorer window should open. Make sure that the Navigation Pane is enabled.
(Organize / Layout / Navigation Pane)

In the Navigation Pane, look at the top and locate the Public Folder. Expand
this folder and create a new folder and name it Recovery.

In the Navigation Pane, you will see an item called Local Host with the
previous version Users folder underneath it. Expand the Users folder there
and then expand the 'Username' folder you need to recover.

You should be able to drag any of the files/sub folders in this folder to
the Recovery folder you created. Don't try to drag the entire 'username'
folder or you will likely run into permission problems.

Play around with this, if a file you want to recover is not in the folder
you opened from the Previous Versions list, try another previous version of
the folder.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP