Set rights with Icacls

Beat

Set rights with Icacls
Hi there,
I'd like to change the rights for a folder in c:\program files\... with the
command Icacls. But I always get the result permission denied.
What parameter should I use?

Any help will be appreciated.
Kerry Brown

Re: Set rights with Icacls
"Beat" <Beat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news105F1B9-D143-45F1-BD1F-1B52D9349EEF@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
> I'd like to change the rights for a folder in c:\program files\... with
> the
> command Icacls. But I always get the result permission denied.
> What parameter should I use?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

You need to do this from an elevated command prompt. Right click on the
Command Prompt icon and pick Run as administrator.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Beat

Re: Set rights with Icacls
Hi Kerry,
Thanks for the good help.
This works great but the next problem is to run this from a Installer where
I have only the "normal" command prompt. I want to do this during the install
process. So we could save the update for this user directly in this folder
and delete the old one.

Thanks again.
beat

> Hi Kerry,
> Thanks for the good help.
> This works great but the next problem is to run this from a Installer
> where
> I have only the "normal" command prompt. I want to do this during the
> install
> process. So we could save the update for this user directly in this folder
> and delete the old one.
>
> Thanks again.
> beat

Then the installer has to be "Run as administrator" or ask Vista for
administrator privileges. There is no way to do administrator actions
without running into UAC if UAC is turned on. If you are writing an
installer you have to assume UAC is on.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Beat

Re: Set rights with Icacls
Hi Kerry,
If I execute the command "runas /user:administrator" I have to fill in the
Adminitratonpassword witch I don't have.
What about the second solution? What is to do correctly?

Thanks!
beat

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Beat" <Beat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Kerry,
> > Thanks for the good help.
> > This works great but the next problem is to run this from a Installer
> > where
> > I have only the "normal" command prompt. I want to do this during the
> > install
> > process. So we could save the update for this user directly in this folder
> > and delete the old one.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> > beat
> >

> Then the installer has to be "Run as administrator" or ask Vista for
> administrator privileges. There is no way to do administrator actions
> without running into UAC if UAC is turned on. If you are writing an
> installer you have to assume UAC is on.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Set rights with Icacls
You need to create a manifest for the installer/upgrade program. When the
program is run UAC will prompt for credentials. An administrator will have
to enter the credentials.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ft.com &meta=

--
Kerry Brown