Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?

Potential Windows Vista User

Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
I was told by some of my friends that the password login system in Windows
Vista is not secure and that anyone could hack in and take remote control of
my PC. Is this true? They also told me that this is impossible in this new
product they call Linux or something. These guys have a web site at
www.lobby4linux.com. I'm thinking about using Vista but I'm not sure.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
"and that anyone could hack in and take remote"
Not true.
If the computer is safely and securely used.

"that this is impossible"
That is what was said about the possibility of the Titanic sinking.
Such extreme claims are almost always false as is the case this time.

No operating system is 100% secure.
There are always possibilities which is why development continues and
updated are released.

Anyone who believes his operating system is impenetrable probably has
a weak system since they do not believe there is a possibility of
compromise and thus take no action to protect the computer.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Potential Windows Vista User" <Potential Windows Vista
User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was told by some of my friends that the password login system in
>Windows
> Vista is not secure and that anyone could hack in and take remote
> control of
> my PC. Is this true? They also told me that this is impossible in
> this new
> product they call Linux or something. These guys have a web site at
> www.lobby4linux.com. I'm thinking about using Vista but I'm not
> sure.

Potential Windows Vista User

Re: Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
The Reply is below

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "and that anyone could hack in and take remote"
> Not true.
> If the computer is safely and securely used.

Define safely and securely used? Do i need to pay for a firewall or
antivirus? I was told I don't need these with Linux because it comes with a
firewall.

> "that this is impossible"
> That is what was said about the possibility of the Titanic sinking.
> Such extreme claims are almost always false as is the case this time.

If thats impossible then how come NAPA auto parts has ran their TAMS Linux
servers for 4 years straight without shutting them down or restarting them?
IBM claims that Linux won't stop working until the hardware breaks. Is IBM
wrong?

> No operating system is 100% secure.
> There are always possibilities which is why development continues and
> updated are released.

I was told that people only try to get into Microsoft systems because they
don't like Microsoft? And because it's so easy.

> Anyone who believes his operating system is impenetrable probably has
> a weak system since they do not believe there is a possibility of
> compromise and thus take no action to protect the computer.

I thought all the 35,000,000 in the open source community kept it safe?

Why are companies like Dell, HP, and Epson selling Ubuntu computers?

> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

> "Potential Windows Vista User" <Potential Windows Vista
> User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was told by some of my friends that the password login system in
> >Windows
> > Vista is not secure and that anyone could hack in and take remote
> > control of
> > my PC. Is this true? They also told me that this is impossible in
> > this new
> > product they call Linux or something. These guys have a web site at
> > www.lobby4linux.com. I'm thinking about using Vista but I'm not
> > sure.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
Safe and secure?
1. Safe computing practices.
2. Critical updated installed.
3. Effective virus and spyware detection.
4. Firewall

Windows Vista comes with a firewall as well there are free firewalls
available from 3rd parties.
So, no you do not need to buy a firewall.
An anti virus is not included, but there are free options as well.
Linux having firewall features does nothing to replace an anti virus.
A firewall and antivirus are different tools with different purposes.

The reasons why hackers try various systems are varied and depends on
their motivations.
Many simply hate Microsoft and will do whatever they can to make life
difficult for users of Microsoft products.
Microsoft OSs are a far larger % of computers so hour for hour time
spent, they can bring down more Microsoft computers than any other
operating system.
Also most new computer users get computers with Windows.
Most Linux users are already familiar with computers and thus better
prepared to maintain their computers.
As for easy, that depends if their computer is secure.

"that this is impossible"
Followed your comment:
"hack in and take remote control"
Nothing was said about uptime.
As I suggested before, I would be very suspicious of any claim about
any product that had "impossible"in it.
Ask IBM what they meant and then post back the details and source.

As for why are companies selling specific products?
The same reasons any company sells any product.
Customers ask and the company feels they can make more $ giving the
customer what is requested.
If you want specifics, you need to ask them.

--

> The Reply is below
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "and that anyone could hack in and take remote"
>> Not true.
>> If the computer is safely and securely used.

> Define safely and securely used? Do i need to pay for a firewall or
> antivirus? I was told I don't need these with Linux because it comes
> with a
> firewall.
>

>> "that this is impossible"
>> That is what was said about the possibility of the Titanic sinking.
>> Such extreme claims are almost always false as is the case this
>> time.

> If thats impossible then how come NAPA auto parts has ran their TAMS
> Linux
> servers for 4 years straight without shutting them down or
> restarting them?
> IBM claims that Linux won't stop working until the hardware breaks.
> Is IBM
> wrong?
>
>> No operating system is 100% secure.
>> There are always possibilities which is why development continues
>> and
>> updated are released.

> I was told that people only try to get into Microsoft systems
> because they
> don't like Microsoft? And because it's so easy.
>
>> Anyone who believes his operating system is impenetrable probably
>> has
>> a weak system since they do not believe there is a possibility of
>> compromise and thus take no action to protect the computer.

> I thought all the 35,000,000 in the open source community kept it
> safe?
>
> Why are companies like Dell, HP, and Epson selling Ubuntu computers?
>
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org

Potential Windows Vista User

Re: Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
I thought Linux didn't get viruses? I thought Windows Viruses could not run
on Linux. So do I need an anti virus?

I can understand why hackers are angry at Microsoft. They charge you for
products that are not worth the money. No Office comes with Vista. You have
to buy all that seperatly and you can't even play DVDs without buying extra
software. What a bunch of crap. Why do Linux users need to do maintenance?
Defraging is not needed. Cleaning up temporary files is not needed but can be
done. So if you don't have to pay for it, it comes with all the software you
need, and it dosen't need maintenance and Windows viruses don't affect it
then why not use it?

Also a friend of mine worked for Microsoft and he made great things. He
helped develop DOS, Win 3.1, 95, and then retired. He said that the worst
thing was that they took your good ideas and programs and locked them up
because they thought they were too good to put into Windows. They made
previous products look bad. And they gave Microsoft less control over the
customer. I can understand why x programmers would be inclined to write
viruses. He didn't but I can see why.

I know it's impossible to hack in to a Linux computer and take remote
control unless you set up the computer to accept VNC invitations. Most Linux
distributions refuse this by default. You also must put in a root password to
do anything in Linux that will mess up the system. So how do you screw up
windows? Oh ya you click accept instead of deny. That is a great security
measure.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Safe and secure?
> 1. Safe computing practices.
> 2. Critical updated installed.
> 3. Effective virus and spyware detection.
> 4. Firewall
>
> Windows Vista comes with a firewall as well there are free firewalls
> available from 3rd parties.
> So, no you do not need to buy a firewall.
> An anti virus is not included, but there are free options as well.
> Linux having firewall features does nothing to replace an anti virus.
> A firewall and antivirus are different tools with different purposes.
>
> The reasons why hackers try various systems are varied and depends on
> their motivations.
> Many simply hate Microsoft and will do whatever they can to make life
> difficult for users of Microsoft products.
> Microsoft OSs are a far larger % of computers so hour for hour time
> spent, they can bring down more Microsoft computers than any other
> operating system.
> Also most new computer users get computers with Windows.
> Most Linux users are already familiar with computers and thus better
> prepared to maintain their computers.
> As for easy, that depends if their computer is secure.
>

> "that this is impossible"
> Followed your comment:
> "hack in and take remote control"
> Nothing was said about uptime.
> As I suggested before, I would be very suspicious of any claim about
> any product that had "impossible"in it.
> Ask IBM what they meant and then post back the details and source.
>
> As for why are companies selling specific products?
> The same reasons any company sells any product.
> Customers ask and the company feels they can make more $ giving the
> customer what is requested.
> If you want specifics, you need to ask them.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Potential Windows Vista User"

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Are Windows Vista Accounts and Passwords Safe?
"I can understand why hackers are angry at Microsoft"
They have no reason to be angry at anyone.
If they do not like a products price, simple, do not buy.
The same as all other products.
Do you really get angry every time you see a product you want at a
price you think is high?
Anyone who uses that as a reason to get angry has other issues and
that is simply the excuse they use.

"I can understand why x programmers would be inclined to write
viruses"
You understand why programmers what to damage people data?
People whom they have never met?
Do you think it is OK to punish a business customers because you do
not like something about the business?
If so, hopefully you live far away from me and anyone I know, we would
not want your business.

" I know it's impossible to hack in to a Linux"
Are you guaranteeing that for the future?
Are you guaranteeing that advancing technology and/or presently
unknown bugs will not make the OS vulnerable?

"So how do you screw up windows?"
Your comparison is flawed and it will not work on my computer.
Your example for Linux was an external attempt.
For Windows you made it internal.
If the user clicks Accept, that is no longer a vulnerability, that is
PEBKAC.
Once someone has physical unrestricted control of the computer, they
own it.
That is not a vulnerability and is similar for all operating systems
from all sources.

What do the Linux groups tell you when you have asked about the
potential for getting viruses?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "I can understand why hackers are angry at Microsoft"
> They have no reason to be angry at anyone.
> If they do not like a products price, simple, do not buy.
> The same as all other products.
> Do you really get angry every time you see a product you want at a
> price you think is high?
> Anyone who uses that as a reason to get angry has other issues and
> that is simply the excuse they use.

The consumer's suffer. Colleges, businesses and schools pay way to much
money. Even a guy from a College in Texas who is in charge of the computer
budjet told me they pay Microsoft RENT for Vista! And they have to re
register every 3 months! Thats just wrong. They can't even afford other
things because of it.

> "I can understand why x programmers would be inclined to write
> viruses"
> You understand why programmers what to damage people data?
> People whom they have never met?
> Do you think it is OK to punish a business customers because you do
> not like something about the business?
> If so, hopefully you live far away from me and anyone I know, we would
> not want your business.

Programmers usually don't want to hurt people. They just want people to
understand the security flaws in Microsoft's programs. I don't make viruses
or spread them around. If your not part of the solution then your part of the
problem and Microsoft products are a breeding ground for Viruses so that
would mean that if you use them you are part of the problem. Linux does not
spread viruses.

> " I know it's impossible to hack in to a Linux"
> Are you guaranteeing that for the future?
> Are you guaranteeing that advancing technology and/or presently
> unknown bugs will not make the OS vulnerable?

Some Linux servers have been comprised before but never has a Linux machine
without Remote Access even installed been taken over and hacked into that way.

> "So how do you screw up windows?"
> Your comparison is flawed and it will not work on my computer.
> Your example for Linux was an external attempt.
> For Windows you made it internal.
> If the user clicks Accept, that is no longer a vulnerability, that is
> PEBKAC.
> Once someone has physical unrestricted control of the computer, they
> own it.
> That is not a vulnerability and is similar for all operating systems
> from all sources.

So when a user accepts unsecure programs because his comptuer could not
prevent them and he has no idea what they are thats not a security flaw in
the security sytstem? Since when should it be the user's responsibility to
keep programs from destroying his or her computer. With linux you just
install it and it works. With Microsoft you need to install antivirus and all
this other junk. And you can't argue unless you have tried it. You can't even
get windows viruses to work unless you try very very very hard and then they
only affect WINE.

> What do the Linux groups tell you when you have asked about the
> potential for getting viruses?

They always tell me that the only way to get a Linux virus (as also stated
in the wikipedia) is to find instructions for getting the virus, install
unnecessary plug ins that allow viruses to run, finally you have to compile
the virus manually for your computer and then read how to install it. With
windows they just install themselves.