Change user account type to admin

Bud

Change user account type to admin
Greetings-

I am in a situation where I need full admin privileges to change a system
filename (mapi32.dll, so I can get outlook 2003 to work in Vista, which is
another story but I'm on the right track there...). Anyway, though my user
account is designated as "Administrator" when I view the account type I am
listed as a standard user and I am unable to change the account type to
administrator. This is the same for the only other account on this machine,
which is my wife's.

Any ideas on how to change this or how to log in with privileges that allow
me to change that filename?

Thanks-
Bud

RE: Change user account type to admin
Further info: I used method #2 on this page:

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx

and was able to activate the Administrator account, but I am still denied
access when it comes to changing that filename in the Windows/System32
directory. Any ideas? I am alos unable to elevate either of the other user
accounts to full administraotr type from within the Administrator login.

I'm a bit baffled...

"Bud" wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> I am in a situation where I need full admin privileges to change a system
> filename (mapi32.dll, so I can get outlook 2003 to work in Vista, which is
> another story but I'm on the right track there...). Anyway, though my user
> account is designated as "Administrator" when I view the account type I am
> listed as a standard user and I am unable to change the account type to
> administrator. This is the same for the only other account on this machine,
> which is my wife's.
>
> Any ideas on how to change this or how to log in with privileges that allow
> me to change that filename?
>
> Thanks-

Jeff

RE: Change user account type to admin

> I'm a bit baffled...

You're not the only one. I've searched the internet extensively, and there
is extremely little information on this. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like
Microsoft is offering much help on the subject either. Six months after it's
release, I'm wishing I never bothered with Vista.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change user account type to admin
Bud

What is the file name?

The System32 folder contains all of the system files and is heavily
restricted. Most of the files in that folder are part of the Resources
Protection feature and even if you did accomplish renaming a file, it would
very likely be replaced immediately with a fresh copy with the original
name. What you are trying to do is the same thing that a virus does when it
infects a system.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Further info: I used method #2 on this page:
>
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
>
> and was able to activate the Administrator account, but I am still denied
> access when it comes to changing that filename in the Windows/System32
> directory. Any ideas? I am alos unable to elevate either of the other user
> accounts to full administraotr type from within the Administrator login.
>
> I'm a bit baffled...
>
> "Bud" wrote:
>
>> Greetings-
>>
>> I am in a situation where I need full admin privileges to change a system
>> filename (mapi32.dll, so I can get outlook 2003 to work in Vista, which
>> is
>> another story but I'm on the right track there...). Anyway, though my
>> user
>> account is designated as "Administrator" when I view the account type I
>> am
>> listed as a standard user and I am unable to change the account type to
>> administrator. This is the same for the only other account on this
>> machine,
>> which is my wife's.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to change this or how to log in with privileges that
>> allow
>> me to change that filename?
>>
>> Thanks-

Jim Smith

Re: Change user account type to admin
Hey guys. I'm not trying to change a file name in the system folder but I am
often installing and running new programs. Because I am unable to upgrade my
Administrator login from Standard type to Admin I have to agree to the change
every single time, rather than just being able to install it off the bat.
After doing a lot work all this needless clicking gets frustrating.

How can I up my account type to Admin?

Thanks in advance.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Change user account type to admin
Jim

You will need to log onto the system with an administrator account to make
this change. Even with an administrator account you will still need to
elevate certain functions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Jim Smith" <Jim Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys. I'm not trying to change a file name in the system folder but I
> am
> often installing and running new programs. Because I am unable to upgrade
> my
> Administrator login from Standard type to Admin I have to agree to the
> change
> every single time, rather than just being able to install it off the bat.
> After doing a lot work all this needless clicking gets frustrating.
>
> How can I up my account type to Admin?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jim Smith

RE: Change user account type to admin
Thanks Ronnie, I've since turned off the systems User Control and no longer
need to do all that extra clicking! ^^