Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?

Blue Max

Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
In Windows XP we could type CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the 'Welcome' screen and
then use the classic login dialog to access the default ADMINISTRATOR
account. This feature has apparently been removed from Windows Vista. How
to we access the ADMINISTRATOR account, or any other hidden account, from
the 'Welcome' screen?

Spenceation

RE: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
The normal administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. You should
disable the account, then it will appear on the windows logon page.

"Blue Max" wrote:

> In Windows XP we could type CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the 'Welcome' screen and
> then use the classic login dialog to access the default ADMINISTRATOR
> account. This feature has apparently been removed from Windows Vista. How
> to we access the ADMINISTRATOR account, or any other hidden account, from
> the 'Welcome' screen?

Blue Max

Re: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
Thank you Spenciation, but what if we want to keep the account off of the
welcome screen yet allow the administrator to access it when needed? Under
the old method the administrator could access the the 'Administrator'
account using CTRL-ALT-DELETE even if it was not on the welcome screen.

"Spenceation" <Spenceation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The normal administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. You
> should
> disable the account, then it will appear on the windows logon page.
>
> "Blue Max" wrote:
>
>> In Windows XP we could type CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the 'Welcome' screen
>> and
>> then use the classic login dialog to access the default ADMINISTRATOR
>> account. This feature has apparently been removed from Windows Vista.
>> How
>> to we access the ADMINISTRATOR account, or any other hidden account, from
>> the 'Welcome' screen?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
Blue Max

As you have seen, this behavior has completely changed in Vista. The
CTRL+ALT+DEL function at login has been disabled by default and this key
combination no longer makes the old style login dialog appear, like it did
in XP.

You can still change this behavior in Vista so that it behaves the same way
that it did in XP, if you wish. The steps to do this is different, depending
on which version of Vista you are using.

Let me know what version you are using and I'll give you the step by step to
set this up.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> Thank you Spenciation, but what if we want to keep the account off of the
> welcome screen yet allow the administrator to access it when needed?
> Under the old method the administrator could access the the
> 'Administrator' account using CTRL-ALT-DELETE even if it was not on the
> welcome screen.
>
> "Spenceation" <Spenceation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The normal administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. You
>> should
>> disable the account, then it will appear on the windows logon page.
>>
>> "Blue Max" wrote:
>>
>>> In Windows XP we could type CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the 'Welcome' screen
>>> and
>>> then use the classic login dialog to access the default ADMINISTRATOR
>>> account. This feature has apparently been removed from Windows Vista.
>>> How
>>> to we access the ADMINISTRATOR account, or any other hidden account,
>>> from
>>> the 'Welcome' screen?

Blue Max

Re: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
Thanks, Ronnie. I am using Microsoft Vista Ultimate. I had actually hoped
they had incorporated some method, just different than the old way.
Regardless, I would very much appreciate having the instructions.

If you don't mind I also have another question. I was working on a computer
running Microsoft Vista Home Premium. I wanted to access the utility for
modifying user account permissions found in the 'Local Users and Groups'
dialog found in the Windows Computer Management utility (right-click
Computer icon and select Manage). However, I cannot find any 'Local Users
and Groups' option in Vista Home Premium. Without this feature how can we
enable or disable user accounts or profiles?

Thank you for your help.

******************
> Blue Max
>
> As you have seen, this behavior has completely changed in Vista. The
> CTRL+ALT+DEL function at login has been disabled by default and this key
> combination no longer makes the old style login dialog appear, like it did
> in XP.
>
> You can still change this behavior in Vista so that it behaves the same
> way that it did in XP, if you wish. The steps to do this is different,
> depending on which version of Vista you are using.
>
> Let me know what version you are using and I'll give you the step by step
> to set this up.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you Spenciation, but what if we want to keep the account off of the
>> welcome screen yet allow the administrator to access it when needed?
>> Under the old method the administrator could access the the
>> 'Administrator' account using CTRL-ALT-DELETE even if it was not on the
>> welcome screen.
>>
>> "Spenceation" <Spenceation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The normal administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. You
>>> should
>>> disable the account, then it will appear on the windows logon page.

chino

Re: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
I have just been reading through the discussion posts, and I can't believe
how many people have the exactly the same problem as me. THE USER PROFILE
SERVICE FAILED THE LOGON, USER PROFILE CANNOT BE LOADED. It looks as if you
may be able to help me with your step by step instructions, I have Windows
Vista Home Premium.
--
chino1

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Blue Max
>
> As you have seen, this behavior has completely changed in Vista. The
> CTRL+ALT+DEL function at login has been disabled by default and this key
> combination no longer makes the old style login dialog appear, like it did
> in XP.
>
> You can still change this behavior in Vista so that it behaves the same way
> that it did in XP, if you wish. The steps to do this is different, depending
> on which version of Vista you are using.
>
> Let me know what version you are using and I'll give you the step by step to
> set this up.
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Spenciation, but what if we want to keep the account off of the
> > welcome screen yet allow the administrator to access it when needed?
> > Under the old method the administrator could access the the
> > 'Administrator' account using CTRL-ALT-DELETE even if it was not on the
> > welcome screen.
> >
> > "Spenceation" <Spenceation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> The normal administrator account is disabled by default in Vista. You
> >> should
> >> disable the account, then it will appear on the windows logon page.

brink

chino;535291 Wrote:
> I have just been reading through the discussion posts, and I can't
> believe
> how many people have the exactly the same problem as me. THE USER
> PROFILE
> SERVICE FAILED THE LOGON, USER PROFILE CANNOT BE LOADED. It looks as if
> you
> may be able to help me with your step by step instructions, I have
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium.
> --
> chino1

Hi Chino,

Try the solution at this link. Only it's ".BAK" and not ".BAD" you
will find.

'Nigels blog - of things tech: Fixing User Profiles in Vista'
(http://cherrybyte.blogspot.com/2007/...-in-vista.html)

Let us know how it went, please.
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Cannot login as administrator with Ctrl-Alt-Del ?
Chino

The problem you are having with that error message is completely different
from the subject of this thread. Those instructions will not resolve this
problem.

Follow the link that Shawn posted and try the fix on that web page. Let us
know how it works for you.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP