Administrator account has disappeared

confused

Administrator account has disappeared
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me - its appears that the administrator account
has disappeared - My husband and I both have our accounts but neither of us
seem to be the administrators

Initially when i set this up I am sure that I was the one with the
administrator access - now neither of us seems to have it

Because of this neither of us can access the user accounts and we can not
download software etc

Any ideas how I can get back the administrator access??

Hoping for a positive response :-)

Thanks in advance
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Confused

Go to the following website to fix this. There are 3 options there that you
can use. Hopefully, option 1 will work and you can use that option to change
one of your accounts back to an administrator account in Control Panel/User
Accounts.

What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am hoping someone can help me - its appears that the administrator
> account
> has disappeared - My husband and I both have our accounts but neither of
> us
> seem to be the administrators
>
> Initially when i set this up I am sure that I was the one with the
> administrator access - now neither of us seems to have it
>
> Because of this neither of us can access the user accounts and we can not
> download software etc
>
> Any ideas how I can get back the administrator access??
>
> Hoping for a positive response :-)
>
> Thanks in advance

confused

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Hi Ronnie

Thanks for this Option 1 didn't work so going to try option 2 tonight - will
let you know how i get on

Thanks again

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Confused
>
> Go to the following website to fix this. There are 3 options there that you
> can use. Hopefully, option 1 will work and you can use that option to change
> one of your accounts back to an administrator account in Control Panel/User
> Accounts.
>
> What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator account:
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am hoping someone can help me - its appears that the administrator
> > account
> > has disappeared - My husband and I both have our accounts but neither of
> > us
> > seem to be the administrators
> >
> > Initially when i set this up I am sure that I was the one with the
> > administrator access - now neither of us seems to have it
> >
> > Because of this neither of us can access the user accounts and we can not
> > download software etc
> >
> > Any ideas how I can get back the administrator access??
> >
> > Hoping for a positive response :-)
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Confused

Your welcome and yes, do let us know how this works for you.

--

> Hi Ronnie
>
> Thanks for this Option 1 didn't work so going to try option 2 tonight -
> will
> let you know how i get on
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Confused
>>
>> Go to the following website to fix this. There are 3 options there that
>> you
>> can use. Hopefully, option 1 will work and you can use that option to
>> change
>> one of your accounts back to an administrator account in Control
>> Panel/User
>> Accounts.
>>
>> What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator
>> account:
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I am hoping someone can help me - its appears that the administrator
>> > account
>> > has disappeared - My husband and I both have our accounts but neither
>> > of
>> > us
>> > seem to be the administrators
>> >
>> > Initially when i set this up I am sure that I was the one with the
>> > administrator access - now neither of us seems to have it
>> >
>> > Because of this neither of us can access the user accounts and we can
>> > not
>> > download software etc
>> >
>> > Any ideas how I can get back the administrator access??
>> >
>> > Hoping for a positive response :-)
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance

confused

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
was just about to give option 2 a try - but i do not have an installation CD
- my lap top came with Windows Vista installed

Any other ideas????

Thanks

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Confused
>
> Your welcome and yes, do let us know how this works for you.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ronnie
> >
> > Thanks for this Option 1 didn't work so going to try option 2 tonight -
> > will
> > let you know how i get on
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Confused
> >>
> >> Go to the following website to fix this. There are 3 options there that
> >> you
> >> can use. Hopefully, option 1 will work and you can use that option to
> >> change
> >> one of your accounts back to an administrator account in Control
> >> Panel/User
> >> Accounts.
> >>
> >> What do I do: I can no longer log in or elevate to an administrator
> >> account:
> >> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Administ..._of_admin.aspx
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Confused

I'm assuming that when you tried that first option and used Safe Mode that
an account called Administrator did not appear on the logon screen? This is
troubling because if no other administrator accounts are active on the
system, then the built-in Administrator account should appear in Safe Mode.

The next time you log onto the system, go to Start and type: cmd.exe
and press Enter. This will open the command prompt.

In the command window, type: net user and press Enter. (Including the
space)

This should result in a list of all the accounts on the system.

Next perform the following for all of the accounts shown, except the Guest
account.

Type: net user accountname and press Enter.

(Where accountname is the name of one of the accounts) Perform this for all
of the accounts on the system.

After this is completed, right click an empty spot in the command window and
click Select All from the menu. Press the Enter Key and this will copy all
of the text to the clipboard. Paste the results in a reply to this message.

--

> was just about to give option 2 a try - but i do not have an installation
> CD
> - my lap top came with Windows Vista installed
>
> Any other ideas????
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Confused
>>
>> Your welcome and yes, do let us know how this works for you.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ronnie
>> >
>> > Thanks for this Option 1 didn't work so going to try option 2 tonight -
>> > will
>> > let you know how i get on
>> >
>> > Thanks again

confused

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Hi Ronnie

As requested info below

Many Thanks for trying to help me out

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nina>net user

User accounts for \\NINA-PC

Administrator Guest Nick
Nina
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Nina>net user administrator
User name Administrator
Full Name
Comment Built-in account for administering the
computer/dom
ain
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active No
Account expires Never

Password last set 02/11/2006 14:09:52
Password expires Never
Password changeable 02/11/2006 14:09:52
Password required Yes
User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 02/12/2006 18:34:50

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
Global Group memberships *None
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Nina>net user nina
User name Nina
Full Name
Comment
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

Password last set 04/03/2007 14:36:21
Password expires Never
Password changeable 04/03/2007 14:36:21
Password required No
User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 12/07/2007 11:23:21

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
Global Group memberships *None
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Nina>net user nick
User name Nick
Full Name Nick
Comment
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

Password last set 04/03/2007 15:09:57
Password expires Never
Password changeable 04/03/2007 15:09:57
Password required Yes
User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 11/07/2007 21:11:38

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators *Users

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Confused
>
> I'm assuming that when you tried that first option and used Safe Mode that
> an account called Administrator did not appear on the logon screen? This is
> troubling because if no other administrator accounts are active on the
> system, then the built-in Administrator account should appear in Safe Mode.
>
> The next time you log onto the system, go to Start and type: cmd.exe
> and press Enter. This will open the command prompt.
>
> In the command window, type: net user and press Enter. (Including the
> space)
>
> This should result in a list of all the accounts on the system.
>
> Next perform the following for all of the accounts shown, except the Guest
> account.
>
> Type: net user accountname and press Enter.
>
> (Where accountname is the name of one of the accounts) Perform this for all
> of the accounts on the system.
>
> After this is completed, right click an empty spot in the command window and
> click Select All from the menu. Press the Enter Key and this will copy all
> of the text to the clipboard. Paste the results in a reply to this message.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > was just about to give option 2 a try - but i do not have an installation
> > CD
> > - my lap top came with Windows Vista installed
> >
> > Any other ideas????
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Confused
> >>
> >> Your welcome and yes, do let us know how this works for you.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Confused

Sorry for the delay.

Strange, the net user results show that both the Nina and the Nick accounts
are in the Administrators group? This means that they both have
administrator privileges.

Do you have User Account Control turned off? Go to Start and type: user
In the results click User Accounts. It should open showing the account that
is currently logged on. Click the "Turn user account control on or off"
option. What happens when you do this? If you get a UAC prompt, click the
Continue Button. Is there a check mark in the UAC box there?

Also try going to Start and type: cmd.exe In the results, right click
the cmd.exe itam and select the Run As Administrator option. What happens?

--

news2B93E79-8BC1-4474-96E7-6D19B7F1A248@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>>
>> (Where accountname is the name of one of the accounts) Perform this for
>> all
>> of the accounts on the system.
>>
>> After this is completed, right click an empty spot in the command window
>> and
>> click Select All from the menu. Press the Enter Key and this will copy
>> all
>> of the text to the clipboard. Paste the results in a reply to this
>> message.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > was just about to give option 2 a try - but i do not have an
>> > installation
>> > CD
>> > - my lap top came with Windows Vista installed

confused

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Hi

When I tried to open user accounts nothing happens - it does not let me in -
no error message just does not open.

In the CMD.exe - I did what you asked but again nothing happened the cmd box
opened as normal - a prompt box came up to ask if i wanted to continue i
clicked continue and the the cmd screen opened as normal

I think i chose the right user name cos I really am confused :-)

Again thanks for all your help and any more suggestions are gratefully
received

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >> and press Enter. This will open the command prompt.
> >>
> >> In the command window, type: net user and press Enter. (Including
> >> the
> >> space)
> >>
> >> This should result in a list of all the accounts on the system.
> >>
> >> Next perform the following for all of the accounts shown, except the
> >> Guest
> >> account.
> >>
> >> Type: net user accountname and press Enter.
> >>
> >> (Where accountname is the name of one of the accounts) Perform this for
> >> all
> >> of the accounts on the system.
> >>
> >> After this is completed, right click an empty spot in the command window
> >> and
> >> click Select All from the menu. Press the Enter Key and this will copy
> >> all
> >> of the text to the clipboard. Paste the results in a reply to this

Jimmy Brush

Re: Administrator account has disappeared
Hello,

Based on what you've said, your accounts really are administrator accounts.

Can you go into more detail as to what you are trying to do that isn't
working, giving the actual error messages, etc?

- JB