Re-install Vista

Merle

Re-install Vista
Yes, wrong NG but maybe I can get some info
Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the first
install and would it correct any file corruption that may have occurred in
the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs, files, drivers,
etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to have to go thru the
whole long drawn out process of starting from scratch. Any help you can
give me would be appreciated.

Tim

Re: Re-install Vista
If you are concerned about file corruption you are better off (in my
opinion) formatting the drive and installing a fresh version of Vista. Yes,
it takes more time to backup your data and re-install applications but the
chances of fixing the problem are greater that way. You can't always have
your cake and eat it too.

Tim

"Merle" <planogram@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yes, wrong NG but maybe I can get some info
> Hi all: I was wondering could I re-installed Vista Premium over the
> first
> install and would it correct any file corruption that may have occurred in
> the first install? And if so, would I lose any programs, files, drivers,
> etc. that I have already installed? I don't want to have to go thru the
> whole long drawn out process of starting from scratch. Any help you can
> give me would be appreciated.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Re-install Vista
Merle

Yes, you can simply perform an upgrade install.

There is one large caveat to this. The corruption has to be in the operating
system files, if this is a third party program that is causing the problems
(whatever they may be?) then the problems will likely remain.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP